The 2014 NHC First Round - Results/Speculation Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey guys...are your scores posted on the comp website where we registered our beers? I thought last year our scores were posted online before we got our scoresheets

Zainesville comp. Saison scored a 20. Got a silver(37.5 one was a master judge) and gold(32.5) in two other comps. Comments said diacetyl which the two the comps did not pick up on prior to this. Dry Stout scored 33.

No score sheets yet but according to the AHA website I got First with my Strong Scotch Ale!!! Super Stoked!! :rockin:

Got my score sheet from Austin. My robust porter got a 38.5, which I'm happy with. It advanced to a mini-BOS, but didn't end up placing. Nice feedback from the judges and I'm pleased considering this was the first time I entered this beer in competition.

This just in from Janis Gross:

"Number 8 of the National Homebrew Competition results verified. Now working on number 9, number 9, number 9...."

Philly says finalizing and that seems to be a step closer. Guess it could be either.

Or something totally different. :D

Philly says finalizing and that seems to be a step closer. Guess it could be either.

Or something totally different. :D

Philly was number 8 (7 were Posted already). I suspect that means Philly will become Posted and Seattle will be Finalizing or Posted some time in the next few days.

Got results from St Paul today. Had 2 out of 4 advance to mini BOS but no places marked so looks like nothing advanced.

My only disappointment is two beers I sent had two judges that were 10 points apart. Looked like they did not even drink the same beer. The low scores were from non BJCPs.

I hate the first round. I think I am done with NHC.

Got results from St Paul today. Had 2 out of 4 advance to mini BOS but no places marked so looks like nothing advanced.

Make sure you wait until the final results are posted. There have been reports that some scoresheets were not marked with a place. You never know...it happened to me a couple years ago.

Anyone receive their score sheets from Nashville?

The results have been posted for a while but I haven't seen my scoresheets yet. Just wondering if mine are lost in the mail or they just haven't mailed them out yet.

My pale ale finished second and I'm dying to know the actual score.

Anyone receive their score sheets from Nashville?

The results have been posted for a while but I haven't seen my scoresheets yet. Just wondering if mine are lost in the mail or they just haven't mailed them out yet.

My pale ale finished second and I'm dying to know the actual score.

I haven't gotten mine either. The organizer said the he was hoping to have them all in the mail by the 21st.

According to Janis, 8 and 9 (Philly and Seattle?) are done. Any speculation on why they're not posted?

Make sure you wait until the final results are posted. There have been reports that some scoresheets were not marked with a place. You never know...it happened to me a couple years ago.

Yup. I made a comment earlier that in my experience, it's very unusual to not have a place marked and yet still make it to the second round. Got my score sheet yesterday and sure enough, nothing was marked in the place awarded box. But according to the web site, I placed 3rd for IPA in Sacramento.

Maybe it has something to do with the change in score sheets or maybe it's just the sheer volume of entries? I dunno.

I had the same with mine too - I had two entries that were marked with a place that made it. But, I also had a third entry that was not marked with a place that made it as well. I would say that 80-90% of the time, what you see is what you get on the cover page. But, it is certainly not unheard of that the cover sheet is not the full story.

My only disappointment is two beers I sent had two judges that were 10 points apart. Looked like they did not even drink the same beer. The low scores were from non BJCPs.

I hate the first round. I think I am done with NHC.

Are you saying you had a beer that was judged by two judges and their scores were 10 points apart? For example one scoring a 28 and the other scoring a 38?

That would be very unfortunate and seems that a senior judge was not overseeing things.

In all the competitions I've judged anytime there was more than a 5 point difference in scores, which I think only happened to me twice, we always discussed the discrepancy and one or both of us adjusted our scores so that they were within 5 points of each other. I believe the BJCP guidelines say it should be within 7.

I have had beers judged by non BJCP judges but the scores were always withing a couple points of the judging pair. This year I had an IPA in the Upper Mississippi Mashout score a 40 & 42 by two Non BJCP judges.

Also, usually Non BJCP judges are paired with a higher ranking judge in my experience. It is so the more experienced judge can coach them.

Back