The 2014 NHC First Round - Results/Speculation Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darwin18

Reaction score
I thought it would a good idea to start a general thread about the 2014 NHC 1st round results instead of cluttering up some other poor soul's thread.

I see on the AHA forums that the KC site mailed out their scoresheets yesterday, and while lurking (stalking) the Nashville club's website that they'll still be judging left over categories this week.

Obviously the sanctioned results won't be released until mid-April at the earliest, but as with last year I'm sure we'll see some site's leaking results as scoresheets are mailed out prior to the mass release.

OoooOOOOOOO I entered in KC, so I guess I might see my sheets in the next day or two. They're not posted on the competition website as they were last year (yet), so I'm biting my nails.

I saw that about KC too.... that is where mine were. So, hoping to see them show up today or tomorrow. Not super optimistic as some of the same beers did not place at IBU open, that was held the same day. They scored well there, for the most part - just did not make top 3. At least I will know soon enough though.

...but as with last year I'm sure we'll see some site's leaking results as scoresheets are mailed out prior to the mass release.

It's not a "leak" when it was plainly stated on the AHA web site that results from each site will go out as they're verified. It's even in bold on the page:

"Results from individual judging centers will be posted as results are verified. Anticipate results being posted the week following the first round competition date, though it may take a few days longer pending verification."

Cue the whinging about how it's not fair that some people get a head start on re-brewing their beers that are moving on...

KC "only" had around 570 entries show up instead the anticipated 750-ish. If your beers scored well at a recent competition, then your odds of scoring well and advancing at KC improved. :)

Cue the whinging about how it's not fair that some people get a head start on re-brewing their beers that are moving on...

A three week head start on brewing is an advantage regardless if you feel it's fair or not. It's easily circumvented though. If you feel you have a shot, rebrew your beers in expectation that you'll place and advance to the final round.

However, proximity to Grand Rapids and being able to self-deliver your beers to Grand Rapids is probably a bigger advantage than a couple/few weeks rebrewing head start.

It's not a "leak" when it was plainly stated on the AHA web site that results from each site will go out as they're verified. It's even in bold on the page:

"Results from individual judging centers will be posted as results are verified. Anticipate results being posted the week following the first round competition date, though it may take a few days longer pending verification."

Last year a competition center released their results the day after the competition and were told to pull them. I'm not talking about getting your scoresheets back in the mail before the results are officially posted/verified.

Not to start a debate about the whole "fairness" of having three weeks or so notice, but I would really just rather see each competition center post the winners immediately after the center has concluded. In all honesty, it wouldn't be a major difference if the AHA was faster on the draw about posting the winners after every center has finished, but last year there was almost a six week difference from that one center releasing the winners to the AHA posting the winners.

And yes, I know, if I think my beer is going to advance then I should rebrew it. But that's a crap argument IMO. I should spend my time and money rebrewing a beer that may or may not have advanced because the AHA has decided it's better to hold results than publish them? I wonder if they do this because it gets more traffic to their website, more people talking about the competition, etc.

Anyway, back to speculation. :mug:

Per the KC NHC site director on the AHA forum's:

Hey all, I'm the KC NHC site director and everyone should have their score sheets by Friday (April 4th). For the 1st time this year you will not have to wait to see the list of winners. The AHA will be posting each site's results as they are completed. You should expect to see our KC site winners list on the AHA page possibly today or tomorrow.

This is a very welcomed change to how the competition results have been handled.

And yes, I know, if I think my beer is going to advance then I should rebrew it. But that's a crap argument IMO. I should spend my time and money rebrewing a beer that may or may not have advanced because the AHA has decided it's better to hold results than publish them? I wonder if they do this because it gets more traffic to their website, more people talking about the competition, etc.

Anyway, back to speculation. :mug:

Rebrewing your beer for the final round is not a crap argument. In fact, the argument is independent of the AHA's decision to either publish the results as soon as they receive them or hold on to them to release all at the same time. It comes down to having your beer at its peak drinkability during the final round.

Also, if you want to enter a competition, you have to play by the governing body's rules. If you don't like them, don't enter the competition. The bottomline is everyone wants to complain about something. The AHA can't and shouldn't try to please everyone. They should however develop a set of rules and be consistent with how they apply them.

Rebrewing your beer for the final round is not a crap argument. In fact, the argument is independent of the AHA's decision to either publish the results as soon as they receive them or hold on to them to release all at the same time. It comes down to having your beer at its peak drinkability during the final round.

Also, if you want to enter a competition, you have to play by the governing body's rules. If you don't like them, don't enter the competition. The bottomline is everyone wants to complain about something. The AHA can't and shouldn't try to please everyone. They should however develop a set of rules and be consistent with how they apply them.

The rules have changed every single year though. There is no consistency from year to year. I am very pleased with how this year's changes have been implemented from registration to payment, and now with the announcement that winners will be released as soon as the competition center has finished, I literally have nothing to complain about. Zilch. I'm a happy AHA member now.

FWIW, every other competition out there will release the winners within 24 - 48 hours of end of judging. That's the standard. In the past, telling people to rebrew their beer in case, IN CASE, they might advance just because they'd rather hold on to the results is not really acceptable and I'm glad to see that this change is being made. If a beer of mine advances, I'll definitely rebrew it, if possible but to rebrew just to rebrew it is irritating and I'm not going to do that just so they could hold off on it.

If you feel your beer is good enough to advance, you should be rebrewing (if needed) so it is at it's prime by mid June.

If you don't/can't/won't until you know 1st round results, don't blame AHA or judging centers....

This is the frikkin' NHC, not some county fair...

San Diego doesn't even start judging until tomorrow. I'm making a yeast starter tonight to rebrew one of my entries, and another later this weekend.

If they advance, great. If not, I'll just have more tasty brew to drink and more to share at NHC when it will be in its prime.

Mine were submitted to PA. I got an e-mail saying they couldn't find them. After sending the tracking number, they found one of the three entries. Not sure how that happened since they were all in the same box. Now they have 2 unclaimed bottles that they are using as my entries. The might be mine :<. Who knows. Not sure what happened to the labels that were rubber banded to the bottles. Seems unbelievibly disorganized. I think this is my last year entering. A couple years ago I had a problem shipping because the address given on the web site was incorrect (wrong zip code). That's two major screw ups out of two times entering, and this is basic stuff. It dosn't give me much confidence. I understand that they are understaffed, but they have a limit on the entries and they collected my money. Anyone else have similar experience?

Just grabbed the mail over lunch and got good News from KC regional! 2 of my 4 entries placed, and all 4 scored well.

Dortmunder finished 1st with a 42
Mild finished 3rd with a 41

Scottish 70 scored 38
A. Brown scored 36

Really happy with that. I thought the Dort and the Mild were my 2 best beers, and those were the ones I really was hoping to get through..... So, could not be much more pleased really.

Good thing I have had my Dortmunder starter going for the past couple days. Step it up tonight, and it will be brew time on Sunday for the Dortmunder.

Just grabbed the mail over lunch and got good News from KC regional! 2 of my 4 entries placed, and all 4 scored well.

Scottish 70 scored 38
A. Brown scored 36

Really happy with that. I thought the Dort and the Mild were my 2 best beers, and those were the ones I really was hoping to get through..... So, could not be much more pleased really.

Good thing I have had my Dortmunder starter going for the past couple days. Step it up tonight, and it will be brew time on Sunday for the Dortmunder.

Congrats. Scoring a 42 and 41 is very impressive. I'd like to get your Mild recipe.

I'm judging Stouts, Porters and American Ales at Philly this Friday and Saturday. It looks like Dave Houseman will be there too.

If you feel your beer is good enough to advance, you should be rebrewing (if needed) so it is at it's prime by mid June.

If you don't/can't/won't until you know 1st round results, don't blame AHA or judging centers....

This is the frikkin' NHC, not some county fair...

San Diego doesn't even start judging until tomorrow. I'm making a yeast starter tonight to rebrew one of my entries, and another later this weekend.

If they advance, great. If not, I'll just have more tasty brew to drink and more to share at NHC when it will be in its prime.

This is what I do (since last year). I've already rebrewed 3 of my 4 beers, and will re-brew the 4th this Saturday, Now mine are all lagers so they need a little extra time. I'm having some friends over this weekend to drink up my first round entries so I have kegs for the rebrew. Actually not so much kegs, but space in the lagering fridge.

I need to figure out how to get some beer to the NHC. I don't have a club - other than HBT. Maybe some club wold allow a guest beer?

Darwin,
Where are you going on the AHA forums to get this info you've been relating here? I can't seem to find anything in what seem to be the relevant forums on the AHA site.

Darwin,
Where are you going on the AHA forums to get this info you've been relating here? I can't seem to find anything in what seem to be the relevant forums on the AHA site.

Yep. The information is scattered around different threads. Check out their "general" forum and the various competition threads.

Has anyone heard anything out of Nashville? They held judging last weekend (3/28-29) as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The hosting club in Nashville posted on their FB page that they were still trying to rally judges to finish up the last couple categories on Wednesday night.

Wow, must've had a serious judging shortage. Has anyone heard of this happening before? (i.e. Not finishing as scheduled)

Got my scores from KC last night. I entered 3 beers, 2 did good, 1 not so much.

3A Vienna Lager: 25
7C Dusseldorf Alt: 33
17C Flanders Brown/Oud Bruin: 40 mini-bos

My Flanders got judged by Stan Hieronymus, so that was pretty cool.

2nd year in a row I've had a beer score a 40 and advance to mini-bos and not place. Got some pretty decent feedback on my sheets, so i call it a good showing in the end.

Scottish 70 scored 38
A. Brown scored 36

Congrats on the scores. I believe a guy in my club scored the light lagers. I'll see if he recalls your dortmunder.

Wow, must've had a serious judging shortage. Has anyone heard of this happening before? (i.e. Not finishing as scheduled)

If you do a Google search for terms like NHC, Nashville, 2011, you'll find threads and discussions about the previous NHC event at Nashville which seems didn't go that well. I'm sure that they learned from their mistakes, but needing to round up judges to finish the remaining categories doesn't make a positive impression, especially when the entries are $14 a pop.

Got my scores from KC last night. I entered 3 beers, 2 did good, 1 not so much.

3A Vienna Lager: 25
7C Dusseldorf Alt: 33
17C Flanders Brown/Oud Bruin: 40 mini-bos

My Flanders got judged by Stan Hieronymus, so that was pretty cool.

2nd year in a row I've had a beer score a 40 and advance to mini-bos and not place. Got some pretty decent feedback on my sheets, so i call it a good showing in the end.

Nice scores, especially on the Flanders Brown. Mini-BOS is always a crap shoot.

If you do a Google search for terms like NHC, Nashville, 2011, you'll find threads and discussions about the previous NHC event at Nashville which seems didn't go that well. I'm sure that they learned from their mistakes, but needing to round up judges to finish the remaining categories doesn't make a positive impression, especially when the entries are $14 a pop.

I can only hope things went better than three years ago if a couple of the threads I just read are at all true. Yikes...

It's just a ton of beers to judge. In Denver we're judging a bit this week before the main session next weekend. A few years ago the NY state site had judging going on for I think 3 weeks. I'd rather judge a beer fairly than be biased by a shot palate or angry headache (or wife...).

Sweet deal having your sour evaluated by Stan Hieronymus. I'd love to take a look at one of his sheets if you feel like sharing.

Yeah, I meant to bring it to work today and scan it. I'll have to do it on monday.

Latest posts

Back