The 2014 NHC First Round - Results/Speculation Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like Nashville had a difficult time lining up BJCP judges if 4 out of my 4 entries had non-, provisional, or novice judges on them. I'm not saying those people can't judge or even judge well, but it's an observation.

I wonder which regional site had the best ratio of bjcp:"non" judges

I wonder which regional site had the best ratio of bjcp:"non" judges

That would be interesting data for AHA to provide but I doubt they'll put that kind of information out there. Hopefully they do use that information to evaluate individual centers for future 1st round events.

Biereblanche, Seattle had two ranked judges and no more than one Novice judge per table with the lest ranking judge being Certified. As a Novice I judged with a Master as the highest ranking at my table.

Biereblanche, Seattle had two ranked judges and no more than one Novice judge per table with the lest ranking judge being Certified.
From a judging standpoint, it seems as though they had a great pool and took advantage of it. I'm certain that the judges did a great job. But from the administrative side, their lack of ability to get score sheet in the mail casts a shadow of doubt over the whole competition. If they can't accomplish a task that other sites got done very quickly, how can we believe that they did anything else with competence. From bottle handling on, there is reasonable expectation that they failed in every area making the results and scores worthless. :mad:

From a judging standpoint, it seems as though they had a great pool and took advantage of it. I'm certain that the judges did a great job. But from the administrative side, their lack of ability to get score sheet in the mail casts a shadow of doubt over the whole competition. If they can't accomplish a task that other sites got done very quickly, how can we believe that they did anything else with competence. From bottle handling on, there is reasonable expectation that they failed in every area making the results and scores worthless. :mad:

Well one thing to note is the brewing software has lots of issues. Each competition is separate from each other with no way to collate the data together except manually. Those competitions that judged earlier in the spread had an advantage that after the competition they just had to get the sheets out and then wait a bit before having to manually send the data to Janis... The ones that finished in the last week had to get the data to Janis as a top priority then as a second priority get the sheets mailed out.

The first priority for the first round is always to let the people that advanced know they advanced ASAP.

EDIT:
PS I'm still waiting on my Chicago sheets... but come on... Chill out guys lol.

FYI final round folks...

The zip code provided on the NHC site for final round shipping is apparently wrong (and doesn't even exist). Great way to get your package flagged/searched. :drunk:

FYI final round folks...

The zip code provided on the NHC site for final round shipping is apparently wrong (and doesn't even exist). Great way to get your package flagged/searched. :drunk:

The correct zip is 49321. I live 5 miles from the brewery where the bottles are being shipped to so I'm positive that's correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Got mine from Nashville yesterday. Really good feedback.

The mail system seems to be quite discombobulated. I'm in SW va and still haven't received any Nashville score sheets. I'm sure it's a mammoth undertaking to organize an event of this nature, but at $14 a pop, I'd love to have a bit of feedback on mah brews. LOL not that I even made it to the second round... :D

Nashville score sheets arrived for me Tuesday. One beer had decent feedback the other had zero feedback just a few check marks on the score sheet and the scores. My ciders had great feedback from a master and a certified judge, they used the standard mead and cider score sheet so plenty of room for notes.

No score sheets from Seattle yet either. Popped open one of my spare bottles of strong scotch ale tonight. I'm dumbfounded as to why it scored so poorly.

Got mine yesterday, too. For my 3 entries, the two national judges tended to be the ones who took the time to write commentary. The three certified judges mostly just used the checkboxes (totally fine, it's the NHC, it's not necessarily the place for feedback). I had one non-BJCP judge who seemed to be on a fault-finding mission; they circled practically everything.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the quality of judging. 5 of 6 were certified or better.

Anyone else running into software errors trying to enter their final round entry recipes?

I had trouble for a couple of days. Really frustrating since I didn't get an error message until everything was already typed in. It started working correctly for me at the same time that they changed the mailing info on the homepage from last years to this years.

Have some bad news for my entry too (or good news) but I'm only going to be able to enter 2 bottles in the 2nd round. One of my three bottles has some floaties and weird stuff on the sides. These bottles have been pouring crytal clear so it's strange and I don't want to take a chance.

I bottled all of this batch in 16 oz thick bottles (for looks and high carb) until I ran out and bottled a few in regular 12 oz bottles. Didn't think this was a competition brew but it turned out so good. Learned my lesson I guess.

Yeah.

It was showing errors a few days ago after entering all of the info and submitting. Today, I entered all the info (but forgot the yeast) and submitted. Went back to edit it, and had to start over.

Tried it again, and it worked for one entry, but had an error when submitting the second entry.

I think I'll wait a couple more works for them to get the bugs out.

heh yeah IE is the bane of my existence. It's so incompatible with so many things. Still I'm sure they are working on the IE issues.

Got my scoresheet from Denver today. My Zombie Dust clone got a 37 and advanced to the mini best of show (but no further). I'm pleased with the results, especially since there were 61 entries in the Pale Ale category. Looks like I could have increased my odds of going to nationals substantially by brewing pretty much anything other than an APA!

I have not received my Denver score sheets yet...was a bit surprised to see others have received them as long as two weeks ago. 2nd competition this year where I have had lagging score sheets. Won't complalin too much, though...my CAP took 1st. :D

With a 2 week difference I might be contacting the comp organizer for Denver. I'm still waiting on mine as well from Chicago but as far as I know nobody has received their Chicago sheets yet. Congrats on the CAP. I'm actually planning on brewing a CAP this week and I would love to see your recipe/process if you don't mind? ;-)

Got my first round score sheets yesterday. For the most part good, just not good enough. :(

Except for my American Wheat. Scored 26, but it's the score sheet I'm most proud of. :D

Judge #1
"Falls into IPA section. Great hop flavor!"

Judge #2
"More like an IPA than a Wheat Beer. Off style, otherwise good beer. It's a shame."

"I would pay money for this beer" box checked.

I can live with that!
(It was a Mosaic Hopped, 50% Wheat beer.)

Yeah you need to enter them into the styles they actually come across as. Often times you'll get people hopping them way up there and really they would do better as a pale ale or IPA. Not saying they are bad by anymeans though... Just they stop being american wheats at some point ;-)

I knew I crossed the line on gravity and hop flavor/aroma for the vital statistics, but brewed it to my taste, not the BJCP. I know, that's not the way to win a contest.

But this quote from the 2008 Guidelines gave me hope:
Comments: Different variations exist, from an easy-drinking fairly sweet beer to a dry, aggressively hopped beer . . .

I knew I crossed the line on gravity and hop flavor/aroma for the vital statistics, but brewed it to my taste, not the BJCP. I know, that's not the way to win a contest.

But this quote from the 2008 Guidelines gave me hope:

Well moderate hop aroma and flavor can be pretty aggressive in something as lightly flavored as an american wheat... But if it gets to higher levels than that you would be better served to see if maybe it would fit in a different style if you're going to enter it in a comp. Enter beer into what style it best fits right now vs what style you were shooting for etc.. For example pale ale allows for moderate to strong hop aroma and flavor so it might have been better served to enter it as a pale ale despite the wheat in it.

Biereblanche, Seattle had two ranked judges and no more than one Novice judge per table with the lest ranking judge being Certified. As a Novice I judged with a Master as the highest ranking at my table.

I received my scoresheets yesterday from Seattle, and I'm pretty sure the highest rank judge I saw was Certified. I'm going to let them sit a couple days before analyzing anymore, but I was a little annoyed that the judge seemed to conflate diacetyl and dms and didn't or couldn't differentiate from kettle caramelization.

TobyG, wow. I have seen some interesting things before. I am in the process of preparing myself for the tasting exam, so I judge as much as I can. I have come to the realization that no matter what a person's rank is he/she can have holes in their pallet and be wrong. What style was it?

Hey guys, I need some input on what to do for the 2nd round.Here’s my dilemma:

I brewed my Bohemian Pilsener that advanced in Mid-December. It was ready to drink around February 1. The bottles for the NHC and the 2nd local comp were filled with a BeerGun in March, just before the NHC submission deadline.

Its competition history is:
41.5 in a local comp, Mid-February (2 non-certified judges)
45.5 in the NHC first round, late March (1 national, 1 certified judge)
33 in another local comp, last weekend (2 certified judges)

I re-brewed the beer a few weeks ago. It should have about a month of lagering time on it by the time the 2nd round entries are due. It seems good, maybe a touch thin for the style (finished at 1.009). I'd say the jury's out until it's fully carbed and lagered.

I also have three bottles set aside from the first batch, but considering the drop in scores last weekend, I'm worried that it's past its prime. Which bottles would you submit in this situation? Keep in mind that I can't really compare the two batches since I only have 3 bottles left.

getting an error trying to post my recipe using the latest version of Chrome on the latest version of OS X. don't want to type it in again ...

I brewed my Bohemian Pilsener that advanced in Mid-December. It was ready to drink around February 1. The bottles for the NHC and the 2nd local comp were filled with a BeerGun in March, just before the NHC submission deadline.

I re-brewed the beer a few weeks ago. It should have about a month of lagering time on it by the time the 2nd round entries are due. It seems good, maybe a touch thin for the style (finished at 1.009). I'd say the jury's out until it's fully carbed and lagered.

I also have three bottles set aside from the first batch, but considering the drop in scores last weekend, I'm worried that it's past its prime. Which bottles would you submit in this situation? Keep in mind that I can't really compare the two batches since I only have 3 bottles left.

Do you only have the 3 bottles left of the older bo pils? If not I would say try them side by side just before submitting for the final round... If you are down to your last three then I guess I would go with my gut. If the new batch is tasting like a really good bo pils go with it, if you think it's off here and there.. so with the older ones maybe.

if the old batch was still in a keg I'd say go with them.
However in my experience Beer Gun'd bottles go downhill sooner than 3 months, especially with a warm couple days of shipping still to come. Perhaps you're better at purging that O2 than I am though...

if you only have 3 bottles left I suppose you could sacrifice one to taste side by side with the new batch. Had a friend win a gold medal last year after only sending 2 bottles.

good luck--
--Michael

Back