The 2016 NHC - Results/Speculation Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I received my medal and sheets today. I have to question a judge that rewards a 30 and asks for the recipe, and a beer that one judge detects 0 of a trait, and the other judge rates it as high. I'm sorry, everybody has a different palate, but there is no consistency in my scoresheets with any of my 3 submissions. I'm happy with the end result, but it is a bit alarming how different judges scored the same beer so differently.

Crap. Not a good time to be on vacation until the 4th... Hopefully if it arrives before I get home it'll still be in my porch...

Got my score sheets the other day. No medals but got a 37 on my coffee stout which scored a second in the first round and 38 on Belgian Golden Strong which was administratively advanced since they misplaced it and did not judge it in the first round. Both of my beers had one judge say they would buy it so that is awesome to see!

I received my medal and sheets today. I have to question a judge that rewards a 30 and asks for the recipe, and a beer that one judge detects 0 of a trait, and the other judge rates it as high.

Some people are sensitive to certain off-flavors, while others have near total blindness to it (DMS, for example). That's why it is judged by more than one person. You should not be alarmed by this.

I received my medal and sheets today. I have to question a judge that rewards a 30 and asks for the recipe, and a beer that one judge detects 0 of a trait, and the other judge rates it as high. I'm sorry, everybody has a different palate, but there is no consistency in my scoresheets with any of my 3 submissions. I'm happy with the end result, but it is a bit alarming how different judges scored the same beer so differently.

It's basically why I stopped entering comps. I forgot and started entering again and now I'm done again, except for supporting some local comps.

Some people are sensitive to certain off-flavors, while others have near total blindness to it (DMS, for example). That's why it is judged by more than one person. You should not be alarmed by this.

Difference between diacetyl and more broad categories.

Example: on mine, one notes high malt aroma. The other notes zero malt aroma.

Of course the master judge on my entry gave me the "what beer was he tasting?" sheet. But different palates, it is what it is. Frustrating but time to let it go.

I got my box today. Wow, was that thing beat to hell. There was a chugger pump in its box along with a bunch of smaller stuff and my sheets and medal. Whoever packed it just threw in some sheets of bubble wrap in a large carton. The carton was almost open on the top and bottom. The chugger had obviously been slamming around in there and the things that seem to have been individually wrapped were all out of their wrappers. Amazing it all even made it here (if it did, I don't know what was supposed to be in there). Anyway, the chugger looks fine and the various other small items, which were all metal except a rubber hose, were all fine. I don't know what the hose and clamps were supposed to go with so I'm not sure whether everything is there. Strange. That said. I'm pleased.

The other interesting thing was the score sheets. I got a 37 and a 40 on my Amber and then took Gold. That seemed strange to me. However, I now see that there was a problem with the bottle the first pair of judges opened. They said the cap almost jumped off and, while they liked the beer, it seemed a bit oxidized. One said "Great beer but work on the bottling". Luckily they passed it on to mini-BOS. Apparently, the second bottle didn't have that problem or it probably would not have taken Gold. Crazy!

As I said, I'm pleased!

You aren't kidding. On my coffee stout one sheet reads "Big and Rich, Lots of coffee/chocolate notes." The other reads "Tough to pick out coffee from malt character." That's the tough thing about comp's, everybody's palate is different. Unfortunately I don't see anyway around it, but I know what you mean.

The most sane approach to entering comps is to try to win as many medals as possible.

I can't imagine ever checking "send me the recipe" with a beer I scored a 30. Hmm.

as for the scores, 37/40 is a fine score and often medals. Hell I gave the Meadmaker of the Year a 39, super cold first of flight. I'd probably have gone 41/42 based on how it tasted in the medal round.

as for my own, I once again feel like if I gave people the mead their feedback suggests that they'd prefer the one they already tasted.
I also got one judge who couldn't taste the spices in my heavily-flavored herb and spice cider. Luckily for me the other judge did. It happens. *shrug*

I only care about the scores and places. It's been my experience that it's much easier to assign a beer a score first based on overall character, than it is to build the score based on writing the decriptors.

Meaning, after smelling, looking, and tasting I can more easily say "that's a 40", then smelling, writing down a socre, looking, writting down a score, tasting, writing down a score; pondering and tasting again, writing down a score; and then saying "let's add that up and see how she did."

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I suspect not....

Also, describing intensities is so variable among people. That's why I care less about the comments and more about the scores and results. If one judge says not quite hoppy enough, and another says just a bit too hoppy, but they both score it around a 39; I got that it was a good beer.

Remember, the judges are supposed to be critiquing your beer, not just praising it. When my mead scored a 46 in the final round in Grand Rapids, there were still several criticisms from the judges. :drunk:

I know it is probably not super practical, but one thing I would love to see at NHC is a two sided score sheet - one side as it is. Back side for Mini BOS. The back could be super basic..... but even a tiny bit of feed back would be nice with that second beer. I have had 4 or 5 make mini BOS and haven't medaled. Kind of sucks to have no clue what it is that is not quite good enough about those beers. Honestly, something as simple as a few boxes to choose from to check, and maybe a single phrase saying why it wasn't good enough to medal....

___ Great - obviously one of the top 3 medal beers
___ Great, medaled, but could have gone the other way too.
___ Great, but just not good enough compared to other entrants
___ Good, but probably barely made mini BOS
___ The other bottle must have been better. This one was not up to par compared to other final beers.

Primary thought on this beer:______________________________________ (Example) - "Picking up 'x' off flavor." or "A bit too bitter - likely kept it from medaling" Just a single phrase that knocked it out, or was the defining character that allowed it to medal.

It would just be nice to know what is separating some of these Mini BOS beers from getting over the hump. If it is simply a matter of being really close and getting beat by better beer, that would be good to know too.

I know it is probably not super practical, but one thing I would love to see at NHC is a two sided score sheet - one side as it is. Back side for Mini BOS. The back could be super basic..... but even a tiny bit of feed back would be nice with that second beer. I have had 4 or 5 make mini BOS and haven't medaled. Kind of sucks to have no clue what it is that is not quite good enough about those beers. Honestly, something as simple as a few boxes to choose from to check, and maybe a single phrase saying why it wasn't good enough to medal....

___ Great - obviously one of the top 3 medal beers
___ Great, medaled, but could have gone the other way too.
___ Great, but just not good enough compared to other entrants
___ Good, but probably barely made mini BOS
___ The other bottle must have been better. This one was not up to par compared to other final beers.

Primary thought on this beer:______________________________________ (Example) - "Picking up 'x' off flavor." or "A bit too bitter - likely kept it from medaling" Just a single phrase that knocked it out, or was the defining character that allowed it to medal.

It would just be nice to know what is separating some of these Mini BOS beers from getting over the hump. If it is simply a matter of being really close and getting beat by better beer, that would be good to know too.

Or the dreaded "Judge x is more more agressive and vocal and I couldn't fight as hard for your beer." :eek:

I've heard some interesting stories from mini-BOS and BOS tables....

Or the dreaded "Judge x is more more agressive and vocal and I couldn't fight as hard for your beer." :eek:

I've heard some interesting stories from mini-BOS and BOS tables....

Ha - I would even take that! I am sure sometimes it really comes down to that. But, at least you would know that your beer was "good enough" and another year it might be able to medal as it is.

To be honest, at NHC, I couldn't care less about the score sheet from the flight - I would rather know why my beer did not medal in mini BOS than get feedback from a flight judge. Obviously, if my beer did not make mini BOS it was not even close to good enough to medal.

Ha - I would even take that! I am sure sometimes it really comes down to that. But, at least you would know that your beer was "good enough" and another year it might be able to medal as it is.

To be honest, at NHC, I couldn't care less about the score sheet from the flight - I would rather know why my beer did not medal in mini BOS than get feedback from a flight judge. Obviously, if my beer did not make mini BOS it was not even close to good enough to medal.

I really hate the rarely handed out "honorable mentions". It means your were good enough for a lot of consideration into Top 3, but just not quite good enough.

I'd rather not know....

I really hate the rarely handed out "honorable mentions". It means your were good enough for a lot of consideration into Top 3, but just not quite good enough.

I'd rather not know....

HA. I got one of those in Grand Rapids NHC. One place higher and I would have had Gold and Bronze. Yeah that's not something I want to know.

Got my score sheet and medal. I'm surprised that the medal isn't more "substantial". One of my cheapest feeling medals. My feedback on all of my beer was pretty good and inline with what I judge it too be. My Amber ale was dinged for being too hoppy. And my IIPA was too much alcohol not enough hops. (which it was about a week too old)

Amber ale is the one style I can't figure out for competitions.

I only care about the scores and places. It's been my experience that it's much easier to assign a beer a score first based on overall character, than it is to build the score based on writing the decriptors.

Meaning, after smelling, looking, and tasting I can more easily say "that's a 40", then smelling, writing down a socre, looking, writting down a score, tasting, writing down a score; pondering and tasting again, writing down a score; and then saying "let's add that up and see how she did."

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I suspect not....

That's how most experienced judges do it, more or less, IME. It's a hybrid holistic approach. Usually appearance and mouthfeel are semi-independent, but aroma, flavor, and OI are based on the overall score range I put the beer in. If it's an excellent example of the style, it's going to get a final score in the excellent range.

I got my box today. Wow, was that thing beat to hell. There was a chugger pump in its box along with a bunch of smaller stuff and my sheets and medal. Whoever packed it just threw in some sheets of bubble wrap in a large carton. The carton was almost open on the top and bottom. The chugger had obviously been slamming around in there and the things that seem to have been individually wrapped were all out of their wrappers. Amazing it all even made it here (if it did, I don't know what was supposed to be in there). Anyway, the chugger looks fine and the various other small items, which were all metal except a rubber hose, were all fine. I don't know what the hose and clamps were supposed to go with so I'm not sure whether everything is there. Strange. That said. I'm pleased.

The other interesting thing was the score sheets. I got a 37 and a 40 on my Amber and then took Gold. That seemed strange to me. However, I now see that there was a problem with the bottle the first pair of judges opened. They said the cap almost jumped off and, while they liked the beer, it seemed a bit oxidized. One said "Great beer but work on the bottling". Luckily they passed it on to mini-BOS. Apparently, the second bottle didn't have that problem or it probably would not have taken Gold. Crazy!

As I said, I'm pleased!

My box was exactly the same, haha. There were a bunch of single sheets of bubble wrap, but not close to enough to prevent everything from rattling around in there. The bottom of the box was open on each side, just held together from the middle piece of tape remaining. I'm a little worried that something might have slid out. I was supposed to get a blichmann 20 gallon kettle, but it wasn't in there. I think it might have slipped out... :D

Received a 35 & a 40 on my weissbier. A pretty big gap between them, but I'm used to it. It seems the more and more competitions I have entered, judges are apprehensive about handing out 40+ scores, even with beers that wind up doing very well in mini-bos & bos. Of course, they don't know that they will do well after they score them, it's just something that I have seen more of this year.

It's really bizarre, isnt it? That's at least four that I've seen...

I'm used to seeing em all over the forum. Easier to spot on the app than the desktop. This is the first I recall them relentlessly quoting the same post.

But it's a lot less annoying than the new thread spam.

My box was exactly the same, haha. ......

Received a 35 & a 40 on my weissbier......

Someone needs some packing lessons. I got my kettle. It was my brew structure that didn't make it.

Congrats on the medal on the weissbier. Tough category this year since the gold took BOS. Pretty amazing. The BOS winner is in my club and I tasted that beer at the meeting the other night. Amazing beer. Well deserved.

Someone needs some packing lessons. I got my kettle. It was my brew structure that didn't make it.

Congrats on the medal on the weissbier. Tough category this year since the gold took BOS. Pretty amazing. The BOS winner is in my club and I tasted that beer at the meeting the other night. Amazing beer. Well deserved.

Wait, I'm talking to Nick and telling Nick about himself. What a duffus. Sorry Nick, didn't realize it was you. I thought it was someone further down the medal list. As I said, Amazing Hefe! I'll go back and crawl under my rock now. ;-)

BTW, is there somewhere we can find out what should have been in our box? I do think there are some things missing based upon what was there.

BTW, is there somewhere we can find out what should have been in our box? I do think there are some things missing based upon what was there.

I had taken a screenshot of the prizes during the live feed of the ceremony. I got my 2nd place box Monday and was pleased to see in addition to all items shown, I got a nice YCH Hops book and a pound of HBC-438 pellets!

Here's all 3 caps:

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1467828539.880388.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1467828556.649174.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1467828583.886201.jpg

Last edited:
I also got my 2nd place box and had everything shown. My hops were HBC-366 (Equinox). Can't wait to try them out.

I had taken a screenshot of the prizes during the live feed of the ceremony. I got my 2nd place box Monday and was pleased to see in addition to all items shown, I got a nice YCH Hops book and a pound of HBC-438 pellets!

Here's all 3 caps:

Perfect!!! Thanks. I got everything in the picture. I was confused because there was a piece of hose and some clamps but nothing that they go with. OK, I'll take a piece of hose and some clamps ;) All is well.

Back