The 2014 NHC First Round - Results/Speculation Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty sure I got my results from Nashville today!! My wife just called and said a carrier pigeon landed in our backyard. Unusual delivery method, but I'm not picky.

Got my results from NYC...American IPA got an overall 37.5 advancing to mini BOS. No place awarded. American Brown overall 29.5, I knew it had some off flavors from fermentation getting close to the high end of the temp range and it needs a little more hop flavor. Good comments from judges. Overall very pleased as these were my first entries into any competition and results were better than I hoped for. Also these were partial mashes.

36 point and 1st place? I would have thought that IIPA would have been more competitive than that. Congratulations!

good call. looks like my IIPA didn't place afterall. the score sheet totally looked like there was a 1 in the place box, but maybe that was just in my two judges' group, sending it onto mini-BOS where it was defeated, and then erased the 1 ... I was super skeptical about it, but my wife was saying, "not that's definitely a 1" :cross:

still got 2nd in amber hybrid though, so I'm happy with my first NHC results so far!

Looks like the competition was pretty tough on Cat 18 from the Austin center. I received a 40.5 avg score for my BSD and did not place. I did get a 3rd for my Wee Heavy, however. Congrats to the winners!

...well I feel totally ripped off. The final results came out, and despite the preliminary results showing I advanced, no luck for me in KC. Really bummed after receiving a 41 and a 45.

What would cause an "unofficial" list that appears accurate with brewer name, beer and club name to change at some undefined, later date?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

As of late yesterday this update from the AHA Competition Director on sanctioning ALL regions:

"Four down, six to go, one competition still judging this week."

Has anyone received their score sheets from Seattle yet?

Still being verified and sanctioned by the AHA.

The score sheets go out when the comp is verified in Denver. It would stink to think you advanced only to have it snatched back because a mistake was made. :drunk:

Here is what bugs me a little bit.....The Brewers Association just had the World Beer Cup in Denver. They judged over 5000 beers in two days AND had the final results AND an awards ceremony 3-4 days later!! Yet we can't even get a list of winners posted on the web a week later? What in the world goes into a "certified" list that takes so long?

Just got my score sheets back from Sac region. My DIPA scored a 42 and was noted by judges better than PTY this year lol. No indication that it moved forward (no mark on mini-bos box and no place awarded on cover sheet).

heh...
with 4 regions official, on pace for 780 IPAs. Biggest category ever appears to be 630 Stouts in 2012. :drunk:

hopefully the numbers of entries showing up in the other regions is higher. At the current pace the competition would be smaller than last year.

Looks like they just posted official results for the following Judging Centers:
New York City, NY
Nashville, TN
Kansas City, MO
Austin, TX

You can view them here:
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/competitions/national-homebrew-competition/winners/

Can't wait to see Denver, CO up there! This is my first year entering, don't have any expectations, only to receive objective feedback on a competition level.

I stewarded this year and it was a lot of fun. I see myself becoming a judge, sooner rather than later.

Good luck to all and congratulations to the announced winners!

They were supposed to have improved that with the new format. That being said, I'm at 12.5 weeks now. 20 weeks would put me at the NHC. lol

The feedback that you'll get on your tasting exam will far, far, far exceed any set of score sheets that the NHC could provide. Besides, once you're in the BJCP it's for life.

Still nothing in the mail from NYC...my horse must have broken down!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I got my results from NYC today. I got a 24 (ouch) in 13B for my milk stout. I rushed that one into bottles and didn't have fermentation temp control. I got a 33.5 for my American Pale Ale and a 37 for my Saison. Some sheets had better feedback than others. I still have some work to do, but overall, not bad for my first comp.

A group of us in our club took the tasting exam in February and we were told not to expect the results by the proctor until August or so...
I assume you mean Administrator? From what I understand, they increased the number of exams since they were able to close on a more timely basis with the new format (and had also increased grading volunteers). Our Admin told us to expect 12-16 weeks. Of course, I wonder if our particular exam was troublesome since there was a significant deviation on a couple of the beers between the proctors.

No the proctor (the person who was serving us the beer for the exam is the person I am thinking was the proctor, but I could be wrong) told us that. The Administrator wasn't sure how long so he told us to ask the proctor.

Just got my score sheets back from Sac region. My DIPA scored a 42 and was noted by judges better than PTY this year lol. No indication that it moved forward (no mark on mini-bos box and no place awarded on cover sheet).

Congrats. I think your judges were just bragging that they got to try the Younger. :)

Seriously though congrats. If that 42 doesn't advance you, I'm hosed. Because I also have a beer in that category. Did you get yours by mail? If so, I'm probably an extra day, but I can start looking for mine maybe....

That's the way all of the Cover Sheets should be. The announcement of whether or not you moved on should be sanctioned first by the AHA and then posted on the website.
Congratulations - BTW!!!

People without clubs need somewhere to go. It's like a homeless shelter or something like that. Everyone needs a little loving, even from afar...

True.... I have a local non AHA club that I get together with, but it is pretty low key, and I am the only one that really enters anything in competitions. It is awesome for what it is. But, it would also be great to have a club that participated in competitions as well. Nothing around here for 100-150 miles probably.

Maybe there should be a "HBT Club:)"

Back