The 2014 NHC First Round - Results/Speculation Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Out of the four beers I entered in Philly, my Kentucky Breakfast Stout made mini BOS, however didn't place, but my 2 year old straight lambic placed Second in Sours! Wasn't marked on the score sheet as advancing, but who cares! Happy to have one advance to the Final Round! Good Luck to everyone else who advanced too!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

From Janis Gross:

"The thing that makes the database processing more difficult as you go along is that there are a multitude of problems and questions that arise from the first results that were posted. Very difficult to process competition databases and resolve problems at the same time."

Seattle should be posted today.

From Janis Gross:

"The thing that makes the database processing more difficult as you go along is that there are a multitude of problems and questions that arise from the first results that were posted. Very difficult to process competition databases and resolve problems at the same time."

Seattle should be posted today.

It already is..see my post about 4 up

St. Paul just got posted. Looks like one for me!

Looks like Chicago is all that is left and of course the one I'm in...I'm hopeful for tomorrow!!

EDIT: Looks like next week for Chicago according to AHA facebook page:

"Attention National Homebrew Competition entrants!

Results from the Denver and Saint Paul first round judging centers are now posted! Chicago is still wrapping up, and those results will be posted next week"

Out of the four beers I entered in Philly, my Kentucky Breakfast Stout made mini BOS, however didn't place, but my 2 year old straight lambic placed Second in Sours! Wasn't marked on the score sheet as advancing, but who cares! Happy to have one advance to the Final Round! Good Luck to everyone else who advanced too!!!

My Schwarzbier placed third but wasn't marked on the score sheet that it placed either. Scored a 36.5. I got the score sheets a week ago, and just checked the results today. I didn't think I had placed since the score sheet wasn't marked with a place. Almost drank my 4 bottles saved for the final round, luckily they are saved!

Got my sheets from St. Paul today. First place Fruit Beer with a Chocolate Coconut Stout. See you guys in Grand Rapids!

Anyone have an idea of when Chicago will post? They're the only place left that hasn't posted. Was actually worried my beers didn't arrive because my buddy got his score sheets in the mail yesterday and an email a week ago with status.
I think he sent to Kansas City.

None of my four went to the finals from Seattle. Anxious to see score sheets as these were beers I just had laying around. From the number of entries in mead and cider I should have entered those. Maybe next year

Got my score sheets from St Paul. 38 for my new age Saison, advanced to mini BOS but didn't place. Curious to see what scores took places

Saison is in a tough category-almost as tough as the IPA and American ale categories. You did really well with a 38. I think you get a gold certificate for that.

Scores do not mean anything in the mini BOS. It just gets you there and then the judges pick the best three

Got my scoresheet from Denver today. My Zombie Dust clone got a 37 and advanced to the mini best of show (but no further). I'm pleased with the results, especially since there were 61 entries in the Pale Ale category. Looks like I could have increased my odds of going to nationals substantially by brewing pretty much anything other than an APA!

Scores do not mean anything in the mini BOS. It just gets you there and then the judges pick the best three

Care to elaborate on this? I'm getting from this that if 4 beers to do mbos and 3 score 49 and 1 scores 48,the 48 doesn't advance. Yes?

Care to elaborate on this? I'm getting from this that if 4 beers to do mbos and 3 score 49 and 1 scores 48,the 48 doesn't advance. Yes?

Mini BOS doesn't have scoring the way I understand it. The beer goes, they know nothing about the prior judging and they pick whay they feel are the best beers of the mini BOS group for a place. No scores, just tasting and rating.

Scores don't mean anything in a mini-BOS. The judges just taste the beers and decide on who they think deserves 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. They don't rescore. It's completely possible (and obviously happened in some categories) that one or more of the beers that placed might not advance since their scores weren't high enough.

I also got my Denver score sheets today. The judged made some brief, but helpful comments on what they were thinking when they scored. Overall, I'm pleased. I didn't go on to the second round, but I have no complaints on my scores or the judging.

Thanks for this. Never seen this before.

One thing that isn't clear to me. Is there really any decent way to determine how well your beer ranked then? In my case, I'm taking it as good enough to go mbos but not medal?

Sorry for the questions, just trying to understand this the best I can.

44 Belgian and French Ales in St Paul.
So somewhere around 5 teams of judges. Could be 4, could be 6 or even 7 if there were tons of judges.
Each of those teams would have advanced no more than their top 3 to mini-BOS.

so likely top 18 out of 44.. Best case, you were #4 and just missed out.
Either way, 38 is a very good score and now you've got 3 more you don't have to share. :mug:

I also placed 2nd in Philly for my Blonde Ale but there was no place indication in my scoresheet. Though it was checked that it advanced to mini-BOS. My wife was reading them to me on the phone... (I was in Denver for CBC) When I got back and read the results on the website I was floored, and glad I didn't drink the extra bottles! :) Though I may rebrew...

Thanks for this. Never seen this before.

One thing that isn't clear to me. Is there really any decent way to determine how well your beer ranked then? In my case, I'm taking it as good enough to go mbos but not medal?

Sorry for the questions, just trying to understand this the best I can.

Not really. Basically, if it advanced but didn't place, it's all 4th place/honorable mention.

If any of the medalists from Sac Category 14 are here, I'd love to hear if one of you was a Belgian Dark Strong aged on Brett. I judged that category, and I gave that beer a 40. It was .5 pts from Mini BOS (it was an EXTREMELY high quality flight of beers) but I stood on the table for your beer, and the other judges were willing to pass on only 2 beers to MBOS so that this one could go.

Would love to hear that you medaled. The beer was amazing.

Any word on an update for Nashville?

Nada. The last update was that they'd "try" to get the scoresheets mailed by today. However, the AHA competition site says: "The links for the downloadable PDF certificates and letters will go live by April 22nd. The links will be found on your Info and Entries page just above the entry table."

So you should at least have your scores by tomorrow, I'd guess.

Nada. The last update was that they'd "try" to get the scoresheets mailed by today. However, the AHA competition site says: "The links for the downloadable PDF certificates and letters will go live by April 22nd. The links will be found on your Info and Entries page just above the entry table."

So you should at least have your scores by tomorrow, I'd guess.

Well that's good atleast. Next time Nashville has one I'm gonna send mine elsewhere

At least you didn't submit to Chicago. They're still showing as "Compiling", as in step 1 out of 4.

At least you didn't submit to Chicago. They're still showing as "Compiling", as in step 1 out of 4.

Why is Chicago taking so long? Next time I'll follow suit with my buddy who went to Zanesville.

Me and a buddy brewed a dark lager and placed 2nd in Denver. Rather excited. Good luck to everyone moving forward.

Cheers!

Liking the unofficial results so far... 3 out of 4 of my entries looks to be advancing... Of course I'm still waiting for the Chicago results to be posted for be sure.

Mine were submitted to PA. I got an e-mail saying they couldn't find them. After sending the tracking number, they found one of the three entries. Not sure how that happened since they were all in the same box. Now they have 2 unclaimed bottles that they are using as my entries. The might be mine :<. Who knows. Not sure what happened to the labels that were rubber banded to the bottles. Seems unbelievibly disorganized. I think this is my last year entering. A couple years ago I had a problem shipping because the address given on the web site was incorrect (wrong zip code). That's two major screw ups out of two times entering, and this is basic stuff. It dosn't give me much confidence. I understand that they are understaffed, but they have a limit on the entries and they collected my money. Anyone else have similar experience?

First, here's how you end up with accounting problems in a competition like this: beers are tagged and their bottle label gets an identical tag so that you can tie the judging number to the entry number. Ten people are sorting 1400 bottles of beer, and one or two tagged bottle labels go missing (for whatever reason). You end up with beers in the cases that are "orphaned." I'll take 100% of the responsibility for that, and in every case we (and the AHA) try to find out whose beer is unaccounted for and refund them their money.

Now, as for the e-mail cosmo received, a message was sent to ALL entrants who had paid for entries but whose beer wasn't listed as "received" to verify that they didn't ship/drop their beer. This was done to elicit a response from those who DID enter their beer so that we could compare their entries against our "orphaned" entries, since in every case there was only one for that particular category/flight (luckily). In cosmo's case we had two orphaned entries in the proper categories (they were sorted by style at that point already), and ONLY he claimed them. They're clearly his entries - or we had the most incredible coincidence in the history of homebrewing.

At the end of judging we had scoresheets for every beer entered, all entries were tied to a specific entrant, there were ZERO bottles remaining, ZERO missing or extra scoresheets, and all of our results were mailed in under 36 hours (would have been less, but post offices aren't open on Sundays). If that sounds to you like we don't know how to run a competition, then I don't know what to say.

Josh Weikert
Competition Organizer
NHC 1st Round - Philadelphia

Latest posts

Back