The 2014 NHC First Round - Results/Speculation Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Josh - I'm shipping my entries to a different region next year because your guys didn't pass any of my entries through to the second round :D

The Philly crew always does a great job with this competition. I was disappointed I couldn't send there last year but understand since they were hosting the conference. Even though NYC was closer this year for me, I still picked Philly as my primary location.

Thanks for all you guys do...maybe some day if I become a judge.

official Chicago results posted! None of mine made it but I only had hopes for 2 out of the 4. First time entering NHC and def realize that most ppl expect their beers to do really good. I entered it as another competition, next year will be different! Learning from experience.

Q: Where are the links to my certificates and my letter?

A: The links for the downloadable PDF certificates and letters will go live by April 22nd. The links will be found on your Info and Entries page just above the entry table.

I'm wondering about this from the AHA FAQ page. I'm not seeing any links to certificates or anything in my competition entries page.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

My guess would be that was the schedule but since some of the competitions were delayed in getting their results in... everything else is delayed for a few days also.

My guess would be that was the schedule but since some of the competitions were delayed in getting their results in... everything else is delayed for a few days also.

That is probably true but shouldn't they update the dates so they don't have everyone checking their pages every hour?

I think most people don't even bother printing those out... But yes it would be helpful if they put up a note stating there is a delay. No question about that.

I think most people don't even bother printing those out... But yes it would be helpful if they put up a note stating there is a delay. No question about that.

The certificate I'm not as curious about as the scores, although I'd prefer to get my scoresheets anyway.

The certificate I'm not as curious about as the scores, although I'd prefer to get my scoresheets anyway.

For sure. I advanced 3 of my 4 entries and I am very curious what my scores were. Some people have had their scoresheets back for a few weeks now.. Just depended on the site's judging date and the number of volunteers. I know the Chicago site had a really poor turnout as far as the number of volunteers.

If my beer didn't place in the top 3... does it still have a chance of moving on to the finals? I haven't gotten my score sheet for San Diego yet. Thanks for the input.

i only enter for the certificates.

jk, never entered before and was curious about the whole thing. :ban:

Holy crap... My BoPils got a 45.5. Looks like I might be submitting bottles from the original batch and just keeping the re-brewed batch for personal consumption.

Holy crap... My BoPils got a 45.5. Looks like I might be submitting bottles from the original batch and just keeping the re-brewed batch for personal consumption.

I also advanced a pils (German) with a 43.5. I'm hoping it retains its character, because I didn't have time for a re-brew.

I also advanced a pils (German) with a 43.5. I'm hoping it retains its character, because I didn't have time for a re-brew.

I'm tempted to message the guy who came in first in our category to ask what he scored - I'm not sure if 12 total entries is even enough for a mini-BOS. If there wasn't one, then his score must have been ridiculous.

12 entries might mean 2 judge teams and is plenty either way for a mini-BOS.

Scores are irrelevant for mini-BOS. One set of judges might have totally different scoring philosophy than another. I find a lot of judges score lower/ tighter around mid-range than I would, so the winning beer in a flight may just not have been given the credit (score) it really deserved. The goal of the mini is to limit such discrepancies.

Even if it was one judge pair, it's often the case that the top-scoring x beers are brought back out and ranked 1,2,3. Scoring might have trended +/- over the course of the flight, judges may feel a bottle has not held up well after warming, may decide a lower scoring beer could do better going on for any reason, etc.

just saw my scores from Chicago, 41 for my IPA made mini-BOS very happy about esp with 63 entries. Two others scored 32s, wheat & specialty. Had higher hopes for the spec but still please with both, as stated before I think I took the wrong approach to NHC and treated it as a regular competition and submitted what I had on hand at the time. Next year I will submit some better brews for sure! Still for my first I'm pleased

I'm tempted to message the guy who came in first in our category to ask what he scored - I'm not sure if 12 total entries is even enough for a mini-BOS. If there wasn't one, then his score must have been ridiculous.

As biereblanche mentioned in the mini-BOS the scores of the beers are no longer taken into consideration. The scores are really there to provide feedback to the brewer and to help sort the beers so only the best ones from each judging group get advanced to the mini-BOS. Once in the mini-BOS they beers are evaluated side by side to see which ones actually fit their individual substyles best. They should all fit the style very well already as that's what the first judging process should have narrowed them down to. In the mini-BOS they are compared on things like complexity, balance, and other intangibles... in relation to each other. Some judge pairs are more loose with their scores than others. So one pair might send up 3 beers that all scored 45+. While if another pair evaluated them they would hopefully choose the same 3 beers but they might have only scored them each around 38. The mini-bos is meant to be an equalizer for things such as this.. If it was just highest score then the most lenient judges would be giving out all the medals.

I understand all that - my point was that if there was no mini-BOS for the category, which could be plausible due to the low number of entries, then the 1st place score must have been ridiculous since 2nd was a 45.5.

If there was a mini-BOS, then obviously this is not necessarily the case.

I understand all that - my point was that if there was no mini-BOS for the category, which could be plausible due to the low number of entries, then the 1st place score must have been ridiculous since 2nd was a 45.5.

If there was a mini-BOS, then obviously this is not necessarily the case.

Ah yeah I suppose.

I always like to have a mini-bos even if there is only a single judging pair. When I score beers I don't score them in relation to anything except the style guidelines. I don't think about other beers in the flight at all. I think having the mini-bos can help even a single pair to have a bit of checks and balances.

Nashville, Where art thou? Has anyone received their scoresheets from Tennessee? I logged into the brewingcompetition software & know that I received two 29s, a 32.5, & a 37 with one advancing to mini-bos, but I'm anxious to see where I was marked down. Being on the west coast, I'm sure I'll be the last to receive mine. Just hoping someone in between can say that they already got theirs in the mail.

Nashville, Where are thou? Has anyone received their scoresheets from Tennessee? I logged into the brewingcompetition software & know that I received two 29s, a 32.5, & a 37 with one advancing to mini-bos, but I'm anxious to see where I was marked down. Being on the west coast, I'm sure I'll be the last to receive mine. Just hoping someone in between can say that they already got theirs in the mail.

They were mailed on Friday.

I received my Nashville score sheets for my four entries yesterday. The scores were in mostly line with what I expected. Here's the judging breakdown:

Cat 1 - Munich Helles: National Judge / Novice Judge
Cat 3 - Vienna Lager: Certified Judge / Novice Judge
Cat 6 - Cream Ale: Certified Judge / Provisional Judge
Cat 13 - Imperial Stout: Certified Judge / Non-BJCP (Whatever that means) Judge

Looks like Nashville had a difficult time lining up BJCP judges if 4 out of my 4 entries had non-, provisional, or novice judges on them. I'm not saying those people can't judge or even judge well, but it's an observation.

There were very few comments due to the check list style score sheet used, but there were a few. Most were right on except for one. This may be the dumbest that I've personally come across:

"Finish taste is more of a lager than ale. Nice beer though."

That was for a cream ale. From the BJCP guidelines for Cream Ale: "History: An ale version of the American lager style."

This was a beer that scored a 45 in a competition (One National / One Certified) a couple weeks ago. The only comments on both score sheets from Nashville are positive, except the one above which makes little sense to me. I'd like to see some rationale for why this one scored a 33 especially when the final comment from the Certified Judge was "Well Done". That's it, zip, natta. No further explanation for why points were taken off.

The other score sheets at least seemed to provide rationale for taking off points. /End Complaining.

Back