So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed 6 gallons of a cream ale lawnmower beer today. Pilsner malt, flaked corn and flaked rice. Artic hops for bittering to about 15 ibu and a 2 min boil addition of Artic for flavor/aroma. Pitched rehydrated Notty. I'll call it Piss Yellow Beer.

Also bottled the pale ale I brewed a couple weeks ago. Need to get the pipeline filled--I waited too long to brew this spring. Dammit, might have to actually buy some beer for a while.

Took part in a wort buy, through the homebrew club.
Got 10 gallons of a wheat beer ....
Wheat Beer:
OG-12 °P
ABV- 5% (somewhat dependent on yeast)
Color- 4SRM
IBU- 13
34% 2-Row Base
57%- White Wheat Malt
7% Torrified Wheat
Hops per gallon
.21g Cascade 6.8α @ Beg Boil
.41g Willamette 3.5α @ 30min
.41g Cascade @ 30 min
.63g Willamette @10min
.63g Cascade @ 10min
1.04g Cascade @ WP
Boil 60min

I split it into two 5 gallon batches.
Batch #1 - I used SafBrew T-58, and just going to let it run straight.
Batch #2 - I used SafBrew WB-06, and after 4 days the fermentation slowed,
I added 2.5# Orange Blossom Honey. Looking for a honey wheat outcome.
Probably rack into secondary this weekend.

I'm getting my water and grist prepped for tomorrow and realizing just how crap I am at the LODO thing. My grain is milled, my water measured, and I'm sitting at my desk with a gram scale in front of me while looking at various Ball Jars with labels on them.

One of them is labeled "YOS 2g/gal/sugar." I know I need to put that into my strike liquor tonight, but I'll be damned if I can remember what YOS means. Whatever, I've put in a 60+ hour week and I don't really care. With an equal amount of sugar, it lets the yeasties get the oxygen out of the strike water and that's the important part.

I'm going with Yeast Organized Supernova. Who doesn't want a supernova in their brew kettle? Aside from a star, I suppose...supernovas are bad when you're a star. Fortunately, I'm neither a plasma contained by its own gravity, nor a fusion reaction attempting to fuse iron, so Yeast Organized Supernova it is.

Cool.

Blonde I did on Lutra last month is about to kick, so going to brew another one tomorrow. Same grain bill, hops, and using Lutra slurry that I saved. Hope to have it ready by the weekend; pipeline is about mediocre right now, but that could go to dangerously low any minute.

Brewed a Cream Ale to take to a wedding next month. While heating the strike water I realized that my propane bottle was close enough to empty that I wouldn’t make it through the boil. So, after doughing in, I went to the local welding/machine shop, which has a large bulk tank, and got a refill. Got back well before it was time to sparge and had a pretty uneventful rest of the day.

Not enough time to brew the Doppelbock this weekend so decided on a quick and simple cream ale.
F7EF1652-79FB-4342-864B-89078661F8B5.jpeg

I'm brewing my most ambitious beer to date, an 11% RIS. I'm going to do a reiterated mash to get the high gravity and then I'm going to try and sparge out a second smaller stout that I'll add coffee to in the fermenter. It's probably going to make for a long brew day but the weather is nice and I'm brewing outside so I'm looking forward to it!

Not the weekend but my 3 year old is on quarantine as a close contact for about the 6th time this year. I’ve missed more work this year than my entire working life before that. I could sit and stew or sit and brew. So, Doppelbock grain crushed and ready to get after it tomorrow! Brew on!

weekend won't be great so i brewed tonight.
and since i have two burners on my king kooker from HD and a ladder big enough to hang a bag off each side i did a twofer.
10 gallons of mango/citra IPA.
5 gallons of an apple ale with exp. apple crisp hops that will also get some apples in the secondary. also i accidently tossed half an oz of citra in it at 15. woops.
thankfully i caught it before i threw the apple crisp in the ipa.
so the 15 min apple crisp became a flameout apple crisp.

there are worse brew-haps than putting citra in something.

This Saturday is our semi-annual Group Brew Day that me and a couple of brew buddies try to have at least twice a year. Last one was right before the Snowpocalypse of 2021, so it's time. Only three of us brewing this time, but others will drop in with samples of their homebrew and food. Planning a peach hefeweizen at the husband's request.

Earlier this week I finally moved the kegged Maibock to the little garage fridge to lager. Today I broke open a case of 750ml Belgian bottles to clean for cork finishing… planning to package a tripel that’s done later. Ordered some hops that I trust will compliment the fresh apricots I scored at 30 cent/lb at Lidl which will go into a wheat beer. Also, making preparations to brew this weekend.

Brewing 12 gallons tomorrow. Have a bunch of 2-row and some specialty grains left over, so what comes out should be...an amber ale. A couple brew buddies coming over to help and we'll split it 3 ways, because I can't go through 120 bottles by myself. Well...I could, but not advisable. ;)

Brewed a peated stout with malted oats. Hit all the numbers and it's now in the ferm chamber waiting for the yeasties to go forth and multiply.

Second attempt at this stout. First one stalled out at 1.021 for a week, then woke up in the bottles. :eek:😭 No bombs luckily, but got dumped after two bleed-offs of excess CO2. Still not sure if it was stalled or picked up an infection.

Here's to better luck this time! 🍻

I'm brewing a black lager but I'm seriously considering doing a double brewday and brewing an IPA as well. I really wish I had a second kettle...

I'm doing the IPA as well, I'm going for it. My black lager went really well up until I accidentally sprayed chiller water into it. The water smelled very strongly of garden hose so I'm crossing my fingers that it either diluted beyond taste threshold or the yeast do me a solid and digest it or flocc it out. Worst case scenario; if I taste it after fermentation I'm going to dryhop the hell out of it.

Brew Day started off well but ended in failure. Someone forgot to close a valve and when I started the sparge wort went everywhere but in the boil kettle. Lost several gallons and FG was down 10 points. Super pissed at myself for not paying attention. Hadn't even had a beer yet. Should have just dumped it then but I did finish it.
CE19CE5A-B743-445A-B95A-D225B8A9D3C0.jpeg
F9FE9657-8B0A-41D1-9EC6-9F1155AFDA84.jpeg
00246A0F-AA16-40FE-9146-831DA4108E95.jpeg
05518BBF-558A-46FC-AAC6-68EC5BB415C5.jpeg

Brew Day started off well but ended in failure. Someone forgot to close a valve and when I started the sparge wort went everywhere but in the boil kettle. Lost several gallons and FG was down 10 points. Super pissed at myself for not paying attention. Hadn't even had a beer yet. Should have just dumped it then but I did finish it.
View attachment 770982View attachment 770985View attachment 770983View attachment 770984

Don't dump it. 10 pts under but it'll still be beer. Call it a session beer and enjoy what you made of it!

I brewed a Blonde Ale yesterday as a request for a July 4th party. Very smooth and enjoyable brew day. Another young brewer came over to brew with me and learn a thing or two. He was amazed at my rig and how I brew and now he is inspired to go forth and brew on his own! Fun day!

John

Back