So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No brewing for me this weekend, the So Cal Homebrew Fest is on. My Sweet Victory IPA (3/4 lb both victory and honey malt with 8 lb MO and 1 lb White wheat) with a bunch of hops and 2 oz of Citra in the keg will be served at the Society of Barley Alchemists (SOBA) tent. If anyone is going look me up. :mug:

Not the weekend, but I was left unsupervised today, so I’m brewing an Irish Red Ale. About 30 min. left in the boil.
67EB9E1E-B379-4AE5-B12F-74E654AAF5A4.jpeg

About to mill the grain for a NEIPA I'm brewing tomorrow, that will go to a competition in a couple weeks. Might see if my puppers like warm spent grain; they certainly have been known to tear into garbage bags of cold, old, stinky spent grain that somebody :rolleyes: left lying around...

Planning to brew an imperial stout Saturday based on this monster. Should be a fun and challenging brew day!
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/epic-stout/
Update - moving this off of yeast today to sit until kegged in September. Gravity sample was 1.022 so about 12% abv. At this point the roasted malts really dominate but there is definitely some complexity and layers coming through. A little hot but it should mellow over time. Will post back in September.

Just brewed a salt lime lager that’s now in fermentation, but my neighbor and I also just ordered the ingredients to make a west coast IPA in tribute to the bitterness of our sports fandom for our favorite baseball teams. I’m also going to look up what I can do with some of my leftover grains and make something up for a small batch to bottle! Cheers!

Boy... how many gallons are you making? I don't make starters for S-189. One pack is plenty for 5 gallons, no starter, no rehydration... especially at 66-68 F.
Two packs, best by date Dec 2020, purchased maybe mid 2018, taking no chances, chewing no bubblegum, trying @Bilsch ’s advice to pitch great wads o yeast. Oh, and I am making 5.5 gall of 1.036.

For the price it's a great deal. The software isn't perfect but good enough to monitor fermentation. The below is from a few hours after pitching. My wort was 70 when I pitched, not sure why it's reading so much higher.

You won't be able to screw the thing together without some lube. I used a bit of starsan and it worked perfectly.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220430-191134.png
    Screenshot_20220430-191134.png
    107.5 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220430_203245635.jpg
    PXL_20220430_203245635.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Currently in the middle of a Ron Pattinson recipe. 1890 Truman Porter.

Recipe: 1890 Truman Porter
Brewer: Kevin58
Asst Brewer:
Style: Traditional English Robust Porter
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.57 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.07 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated Color: 40.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 77.8 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 77.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 81.6 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8 lbs 8.0 oz Chevallier Heritage (Crisp) (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 68.0 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Brown Malt (65.0 SRM) Grain 2 10.0 %
12.0 oz BEST Black Malt (BESTMALZ) (609.1 SRM) Grain 3 6.0 %
2 lbs Invert Sugar No. 3 [Boil] (70.0 SRM) Sugar 4 16.0 %
2.00 oz Fuggle [4.50 %] - Boil 120.0 min Hop 5 29.3 IBUs
1.50 oz Fuggle [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 20.5 IBUs
2.00 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [6.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 7 28.0 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 8 - -
0.00 gal Chiller (Boil 15.0 mins) Other 9 - -
1.25 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 5.0 mins) Other 10 - -
1.0 pkg Bit O' Funk (Omega #OYL-211) Yeast 11 - -
0.50 oz East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.00 %] - 3.0 Days Bef Hop 12 0.0 IBUs -

Just got the grain milled for the House Strong Ale I'll be brewing tomorrow. Haven't done this one in a while, and I'm toying with the idea of adding bourbon-soaked oak cubes to the keg. Have time for that since I like to let this one sit about 2 weeks in the fermenter.
I think you should do it!

I am having two of my brothers over to my house to brew tomorrow, kind of a little big brew day event. I haven't got my recipe nailed down yet but probably trying to make a good pilsner for my wife to tie it into mother's day on Sunday.

Well was last weekend. Has been a year since last brew (sad face emoji). Did a double brew day 20+ gallons. Had some hiccups from remembering my equipment but was successful and hit my SG well close enough.
Brewing 20 gallons of beer is a way to jump back in with both feet!!!

Buddy and I did 10g Pilsner, 5g IPA (made up a recipe on them fly) and then because we just love scrubbing kettles at 10pm decided to knock out a Marris Otter barleywine 🤣. First high gravity I've done. Came up a little short on OG because I didn't think the efficiency hit would be so high. Still gonna hit just under 10%, now to wait until Christmas time to enjoy it.

Back