Repitching lutra kveik-amount to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seatazzz

Well-Known Bloviator & Pontificator
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Planning on brewing a Blonde tomorrow that will be fermented on Lutra slurry from a previous batch, that turned out fabulous. Question is, do I use the whole jar of slurry, or do like for Voss and only pitch 1/4-1/2 cup? Lutra is not supposed to throw esters (first batch had none, good clean fermentation and a tasty beer), but I've heard overpitching can cause some nasty off-flavors. Anyone have any experience with this? This one will be fermented at 80-90° as the previous one was.

I made an educated guess on OG and slurry age and Mr. Malty says about 180ml or 6oz. I’ve used slurries for a handful of Voss and Lutra batches and they seem to perform like similar quantities of other non-Kveik ale strains.

Attachments

• EA44FC0A-1440-4C02-A9F5-D8DA4C4FD22D.png
    EA44FC0A-1440-4C02-A9F5-D8DA4C4FD22D.png
    510 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I made an educated guess on OG and slurry age and Mr. Malty says about 180ml or 6oz. I’ve used slurries for a handful of Voss and Lutra batches and they seem to perform like similar quantities of other non-Kveik ale strains.
That actually looks fairly accurate, thank you. Preboil was 1.040, volume at 9g, should finish out close to 1.055 or a bit higher. After looking at the jar of slurry, I'm going to go with half of it (about 8oz) and see what happens. If I wind up with a slight fruity ester, I won't mind. It was fresh (dry) for the first batch, and it took off like gangbusters in less than 3 hours at 85°.

I've been repitching Lutra like I would BRY97 or Notty which is 1/4 of collected slurry from a 5 gal ferment for up to 1.050 OG. I pitch at 68* and let it go to 75* on it's own then it chills to ambient, i love this yeast in the summer.

Back