Lutra Kveik in my fermenter... still good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luckybeagle

Making sales and brewing ales.
Reaction score
Hey yall, just wondering what the risk is for repitching some of this slurry. I brewed a 5.5% ABV pale using Lutra Kveik from Omega and racked it 48 hours ago to a keg using a pressure transfer. I want to now use it in an American Amber wort.

I left the fermenter--a Fermzilla--in my garage (50F +/- a few degrees) since racking it, with the pressure relief valve left cracked to prevent pressure build up and rupturing. I did this by lifting the valve and rotating the ring so it can't close. There's maybe a quart of slurry in the fermenter with about as much beer.

If this was a normal ale yeast I'd scrap the yeast and be a little hard on myself for being lazy, but seeing as it's Kveik, do you think its viability is compromised being in those conditions with the pressure relief valve lifted? I'd hate to throw away good yeast if the odds of it being compromised are super low!

Thank you!

Two questions: How warm was it when you put it in the garage? When are you planning to use it?

As your fermenter cooled from room temp to 50, it sucked in garage air along with dust, microbes, wild yeasties, etc. The 50 degrees likely slowed any activity, but when you introduce that slurry to a nice, warm, sugary wort, anything in there is going to take off.

If you were going to pitch a batch on it right away (today or tomorrow), I'd say take a chance. But if that's not the case, I would ditch it.

Two questions: How warm was it when you put it in the garage? When are you planning to use it?

As your fermenter cooled from room temp to 50, it sucked in garage air along with dust, microbes, wild yeasties, etc. The 50 degrees likely slowed any activity, but when you introduce that slurry to a nice, warm, sugary wort, anything in there is going to take off.

If you were going to pitch a batch on it right away (today or tomorrow), I'd say take a chance. But if that's not the case, I would ditch it.
Hey! Sorry, I should've clarified. The batch was crashed in my chest freezer to 36F. It warmed up to 50F or so in my garage since I pulled the fermenter out of the chamber to make room for another beer. So there's possibly a CO2 blanket from the warming and offgassing sitting on top of the cake/small amount of beer. Do you think that further enhances the safety of the slurry since there was likely a positive pressure rather than a suction effect?

I'd likely jar it up today and brew it later this week, or potentially just brew it tonight.

Hey! Sorry, I should've clarified. The batch was crashed in my chest freezer to 36F. It warmed up to 50F or so in my garage since I pulled the fermenter out of the chamber to make room for another beer. So there's possibly a CO2 blanket from the warming and offgassing sitting on top of the cake/small amount of beer. Do you think that further enhances the safety of the slurry since there was likely a positive pressure rather than a suction effect?

I'd likely jar it up today and brew it later this week, or potentially just brew it tonight.
Yeah, that's a bit different. I think it'd be OK.

Related. I recently used nearly 2 year old Voss Kveik in my pale ale. The yeast was saved and refrigerated from an overbuilt starter back in 2020. I took it out of the fridge, made a 2L starter with it, and it fermented the pale down to around 1.010.

Back