first time using dry Lutra: 87% attenuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebbelwoi

Reaction score
Overall quite happy with the results of a simple beer I did with Omega's dry Lutra, but a bit surprised by the 87% attenuation.

The grain bill was essentially Centennial Blonde: 80% pilsner, remainder was Weyermann Carapils, Carahell, and Vienna, mashed at 65C/149F for 75 min (60 + 15-min batch sparge). 78% mash efficiency, OG 1.040.

Was shooting for 1.007, got 1.005. Pitch rate was 1/2 packet in 10L (2.5 gal), used the recommended 1.5 tsp of LD Carlson yeast nutrient in the boil. Fermentation (31C/88F) seemed to finish after maybe 2.5 days, but I let it ride for a total of 5 days, then cold-crashed. Sample was already crystal clear.

Aside from being a bit drier than expected and not much hop aroma, I'm happy with this beer and plan to brew it again. I plan to tweak the mash temp and final hop addition. I'd like to make this a faux Kolsch (Fölsch?), so I'm looking for a FG of 1.007-1.008. Would a revised mash temp of 67C/153F do the trick? Planning a 60-min. no-sparge mash.

That's pretty normal for Lutra. Higher mash temp will probably give you a bit more unfermentable sugar and boost the FG up.

FG measured with the same refractometer I use for all my beers. I measured it before and after cold crash. Why do you ask?

Just in case you were using a Tilt, in which case the OG would be right and the FG potentially off a handful of points.

With a refractometer you need ~0.3 Brix accuracy to tell the difference between 1.007 and 1.005. That seems doable to me, though I don’t know that my own measurements are that precise.

Basically, I’m a little skeptical about 87% attenuation. Kveik isn’t diastaticus, is it?

What flavors do you get from the yeast? First beer I made with Lutra was great. Pseudo Pils, Hallertau Mittelfruh. Fantastic. I made another "Pils" with Saaz, and all I got was musty white grape. Fermented at 72, then 75 to finish. Drinkable but eh. My buddy did a "Pils" fermented at his basement ambient temp 65, and he gets musty as well. Not as clean as advertised for us.

Just in case you were using a Tilt, in which case the OG would be right and the FG potentially off a handful of points.

With a refractometer you need ~0.3 Brix accuracy to tell the difference between 1.007 and 1.005. That seems doable to me, though I don’t know that my own measurements are that precise.

Basically, I’m a little skeptical about 87% attenuation. Kveik isn’t diastaticus, is it?
I'm a bit skeptical as well. I don't have firm reasons to doubt it, though. It certainly tastes quite dry. I used the same refractometer to check the S-189 pils I just kegged, and it matched the projected 1.009 FG.

It's not supposed to be diastaticus, and it was straight from an unopened packet, so I don't think that was a factor. I don't use any diastaticus yeasts in any of my brews, but the fermenter was an HDPE water tank that I hadn't used in a couple of years. Maybe I'll try a different fermenter for the next batch.

I just want predictable attenuation.

What flavors do you get from the yeast? First beer I made with Lutra was great. Pseudo Pils, Hallertau Mittelfruh. Fantastic. I made another "Pils" with Saaz, and all I got was musty white grape. Fermented at 72, then 75 to finish. Drinkable but eh. My buddy did a "Pils" fermented at his basement ambient temp 65, and he gets musty as well. Not as clean as advertised for us.
I saw your post about Saaz, so I went with Perle. That's what Omega used in their Lutra Helles recipe, and I figured it was a good place to start.

To be honest, I'm not getting much in terms of flavor. The OG was 1.040, FG was 1.005, and I used Perle for FWH and at 60 minutes, then .7g/L (what would amount to 1/2 oz. in 5 gallons) of Perle at 1 minute. I get nice bitterness, but little to no hop presence. Not much in the way of malt or yeast, either.

But it's a really, really drinkable beer.

Last edited:
I've read elsewhere where kveik yeasts have a habit if muting hop flavors. I use Lutra quite a bit but I never use it in a hop forward style for that reason.

I generally use US-05 instead.

I brewed a spruce tip IPA fermented with Lutra and I can't even taste the 4"C" hops. The malt bill is my go to IPA with munich and biscuit and I can't taste that either. I'ts beer and drinkable but not what I intended.
My next brew is a dupe of this one cause I have all of the same ingredients,but will use Voss at 76*.

Back