Kveik Yeast Repitching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slayer021175666

Reaction score
20231030_115939.jpg
20231030_115939.jpg

This is a quart jar of Voss Kveik dregs that I bottom harvested from my last brew. It's not really pretty like my yeast normally is because, it was harvested from a Northeast IPA and I couldn't get all of the Hop dust to stratify out of it. Anyway, today, I am brewing a beer that should be about 1.055 and I'm wondering how much of this to repitch. It is a 10 gallon batch that I am making and it will be in two separate fermenters. Should I put a tablespoon of the slurry in each fermenter? Should I pitch the whole jar split between the two fermenters? What do you guys think, I just haven't had much experience with this yeast. Only brewed with it once in my life so far.
Thanks Guys.

I’ve had great success just leaving it in the fermenter and putting a new batch in the next day.
I would get the beer of the yeast and split between fermenters

Did you pitch already?

My experience is that Voss is a pretty forgiving yeast. I have pitched a few tablespoons into a batch. There was maybe a day or so lag time before fermentation took off, but it then ripped through the beer in another day or two. It is hard to tell how much yeast in in the harvested slurry. You could divide it up between the two fermenters, or you could pitch less. I am not convinced that under-pitching Voss has a big impact on the flavor, but it definitely produces more orange flavors when fermented hot (85F plus).

Back