Question on Yeast Subsitution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerlackey

Reaction score
At this point in my homebrewing, I can only ferment in the house which is approx 65 dregrees, so this limits me to ales. However, I would like to brew an Octoberfest kit which is a lager and requires lower temps than I can provide. Can I substitute the Wyeast 2112 - California Lager or Wyeast 2565 Kolsch both of which will work in my temp range? Will this completely change the charactor of the beer? Has anyone tried it? Thanks

I would probably use the California Common yeast of over the Kolsch, as I think you would get a maltier profile. Probably closer to what you intend.

Without trying it, if it were me I would try this one. Taken from the Whitelabs website.

WLP060 American Ale Yeast Blend
Our most popular yeast strain is WLP001, California Ale Yeast. This blend celebrates the strengths of California- clean, neutral fermentation, versatile usage, and adds two other strains that belong to the same 'clean/neutral' flavor category. The additional strains create complexity to the finished beer. This blend tastes more lager like than WLP001. Hop flavors and bitterness are accentuated, but not to the extreme of California. Slight sulfur will be produced during fermentation.

Back