Lager Yeast Pitching Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uniquemicro

Reaction score
I am an all grain brewer and have brewed lagers before. My last lager was two years ago and I lost my brew log. Question is: My Wyeast 2278 yeast strain, the lager tech page says best primary fermentation temp range is between 48F and 58F. Let's say I cool my wort to 58F, does my yeast need to be at 58F? What is the largest safe temperature differential between lager yeast and wort temp to pitch? Can I just bring the wort down to 68F, pitch 68F yeast, then throw into temp controlled fermenter and bring down to 58F? What is the best practice that people follow?

The last lager I did I decanted my yeast starter and pitched it into the fermenter at 50f .. yeast temp was room temp, probably 65f ish that day. I don't see an issue pitching it at 68f and dropping the whole thing to 50f at the same time.

I prefer to pitch colder than fermentation temp, but that's only because I've had the most luck that way. Chris White wrote an article that states that you can pitch at 65-70F as long as you get down to ferm temp within a day or so, as lag time is just when the yeast propagate, not ferment.

i've always thought to pitch a bit on the warm side as the wort is cooling off. figured the yeast will wake up quicker and it will be cooler soon enough in a ferm chamber.

no idea if that might cause any off flavors.

I usually pitch about two degrees or so below my fermentation temperature. I have great results pitching certain lager strains that I use at 50 degrees and then letting it rise to 52-53 degrees and let her rip. This works for me for my malty German dark and amber lagers, dunkels, and for my Baltic Porter as well. I have heard you can pitch warmer and then drop it down with good results but I have never done it that way.

John

What is the largest safe temperature differential between lager yeast and wort temp to pitch?

Thought I recalled seeing a video clip of some yeast dude saying the concern for difference in yeast vs pitch temp (shocking the yeast) is basically a myth.

Maybe I'll poke around and see if I can find that again.

Edit: Here it is, from Imperial Yeast.

Last edited:
I've brewed a lot of batches of lager, many before I had the temperature control I have now.

Seems to me exact pitching temp does not matter much so long as it is in reasonable temp range for yeast and it is bought to desired fermentation temp before it really gets going.

I have great fermentation control but only so-so wort cooling.

As a result, I pitch my lagers as close to 68 as is possible that day, then immediately place the fermenter in my fridge which has been pre-cooled to fermentation temperature.

Thought I recalled seeing a video clip of some yeast dude saying the concern for difference in yeast vs pitch temp (shocking the yeast) is basically a myth.
A little off topic, but does this also apply to cold crashing, fast v. slow? It is called cold crashing, which to me implies going fast, v. cooling or chilling (slower).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back