Wyeast 2565 in Cream Ale advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtstrider

Reaction score
Hey all! I plan on using Wyeast 2565 in a cream ale next weekend. The short of it is I have a potentially borked batch of cerveza with Cellarscience Baja. So I wanted to have a back up plan for Cinco De Mayo. The closest, readily available yeast for light beers, I have on hand is Wyeast 2565. I've only used this one other time but really don't remember a thing about it. Would this work well in a Cream Ale with adjuncts? I plan on hitting a bit lower efficiency than 70% using quick grits. Would grits, and gelatin, have enough time to work in helping clear this strain by May 5th? I'm planning to ferment this at 60F as well. I have temperature control so there's that also. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated! Recipe is below

PS Clarity is definitely not the end all be all, but, it would be nice to not look like sludge ;)

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Cream Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 6.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.048
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

Hop Utilization Multiplier: 1

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.052
Final Gravity: 1.012
ABV (standard): 5.26%
IBU (tinseth): 17.77
SRM (morey): 3.56
Mash pH: 5.92

FERMENTABLES:
10 lb - Premium Pilsner (83.3%)
2 lb - American 5 Minute Grits (16.7%)

HOPS:
0.4 oz - Willamette, Type: Pellet, AA: 7.1, Use: First Wort, IBU: 11
0.5 oz - Willamette, Type: Pellet, AA: 3.5, Use: First Wort, IBU: 6.78

YEAST:
Wyeast - Kölsch 2565

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Strike, Start Temp: 162 F, Target Temp: 150 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 5.4 gal
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.8 qt/lb
Starting Grain Temp: 65 °F

It will be cloudy as heck on May 5th. Wyeast 2565 is one of the slowest yeasts to clear on this planet.

If you have a pack of S-04 on hand, I dare you to give that a try. Or tell us what yeasts you do have on hand, and we'll see if there's something else that will work out well to meet your goal.

It will be cloudy as heck on May 5th. Wyeast 2565 is one of the slowest yeasts to clear on this planet.

If you have a pack of S-04 on hand, I dare you to give that a try. Or tell us what yeasts you do have on hand, and we'll see if there's something else that will work out well to meet your goal.
The problem is I have a ton of other strains, but, they're all frozen in 15 ml tubes and take about 2 full weeks to build up. The only packs I have that haven't been banked up yet and are waiting on a brew are Omega DIPA and Wyeast 2565. If it'll be cloudy I wouldn't be opposed to investing in some solo cups for that evening. My main concern would be how the flavor profile would fit with a cream ale. According to the Wyeast site they suggest it for the cream ale style. I've heard about the "white wine" characteristics so that was my main concern.

I also have some expired Lallemand Koln yeast....But I don't want to take another gamble at the moment

I just pulled some WLP080 from the bank and will be hoping this is ready to go by next weekend. Starter wort is cooling off now...

I'm 4 weeks into conditioning and mine is still pretty cloudy :/ I'll probably never use 2565 again.
I plan on using 2565 in a cream ale eventually to get a feel for it. However Cinco De Mayo is calling for a plain Jane brew with limes lol Did you brew a cream ale with adjuncts by chance?

What's the date? Dry yeast properly stored is good WAY past the best by date.
It expired over 2 years ago. It's been kept cold the whole time though. I'm probably going to play with propping those up when I'm not in such a time crunch. I do want to try that strain on a cream ale also :)

It expired over 2 years ago. It's been kept cold the whole time though. I'm probably going to play with propping those up when I'm not in such a time crunch. I do want to try that strain on a cream ale also :)
I've used dry yeast more than 4 years past it's bestby date with no issue.

Whats all the fuss about 2565? My house yeast; Com'on Man. No it won't be ready in 4 weeks,but that brew would be crisp and crushable after 3-4 weeks at 33*. My M.O, is 3 weeks primary then 4 weeks at 33* on CO2. I just made my first pale ale with it and put it on tap at 5 weeks GtoG and it was cloudy and confused (centennial and cascade hops) at about 3 weeks in the kegerator it's clear and citrisy ,crisp and will be history soon. On deck is a Kentucky Common,talk about a long beer; cereal mash corn grits and 7-8 weeks fermenting and conditioning. But again that brew is gone way faster then it can be brewed.
The key to any yeast use and conditioning time is scheduling and pipeline!

Whats all the fuss about 2565? My house yeast; Com'on Man. No it won't be ready in 4 weeks,but that brew would be crisp and crushable after 3-4 weeks at 33*. My M.O, is 3 weeks primary then 4 weeks at 33* on CO2. I just made my first pale ale with it and put it on tap at 5 weeks GtoG and it was cloudy and confused (centennial and cascade hops) at about 3 weeks in the kegerator it's clear and citrisy ,crisp and will be history soon. On deck is a Kentucky Common,talk about a long beer; cereal mash corn grits and 7-8 weeks fermenting and conditioning. But again that brew is gone way faster then it can be brewed.
The key to any yeast use and conditioning time is scheduling and pipeline!
Patience is a virtue... which most American brewers do not possess.

I was going to say... Kentucky Common... a "long beer"?! I thought these were meant to be consumed young. But I cannot tell you that you are doing it wrong, either, because if the end result turns out excellent, then of course you are doing it correctly!!

If i used BRY-97 or Notty I could be drinking it in 3 weeks,but because of the flavor and most of the time there's 4-5 kegs in front of the line so i have time on my side. At present I have 4- 5 gal batches in primary,2 ready to keg and 1 going in a barrel,so pipe line!

Welp the WLP080 is still on the stir plate. No activity yet...It's been right over 48 hours. I found some Bells slurry so going to try propping that up today. Was planning on using that for a group brew day at the next homebrew club meeting and a west coast IPA at the house later next month. So going to keep the wlp080 going off the stir plate for now and see what happens

Back