Lagering in mini fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete Hesse

Reaction score
I'd like to brew authentic lagers but I don't have access to a place with lagering temperatures. I'm thinking I could use a small refrigerator. I've found some with removable shelves that should hold a 5 gallon carboy. However, the reasonably priced ones (this is obviously relative - I'm talking $160 - $200) have a temp range that maxes out at 50 degrees. Upgrading to wine coolers gives me the 55 deg temp I need (their range is 40 - 65), but the price goes up considerably. Has anyone done this and had good results? Does fermenting a lager at lower than 55 degrees work?

I'd like to brew authentic lagers but I don't have access to a place with lagering temperatures. I'm thinking I could use a small refrigerator. I've found some with removable shelves that should hold a 5 gallon carboy. However, the reasonably priced ones (this is obviously relative - I'm talking $160 - $200) have a temp range that maxes out at 50 degrees. Upgrading to wine coolers gives me the 55 deg temp I need (their range is 40 - 65), but the price goes up considerably. Has anyone done this and had good results? Does fermenting a lager at lower than 55 degrees work?
I would say that the 55 degree range is for fermenting (brands can differ a bit) with lager yeasts. The lagering portion is after fermentation is complete and you want it way colder than that - almost freezing. "Lager" literally means 'cold storage'. How long depends on you and your yeast.

That said, I have two fermentation chambers. One for ales and one for lagers. The lager fridge is a mini fridge with a freezer compartment. For temp control on both, I use an InkBird instead of trying to rely on the built-in thermostat.

^ +1 on adding a temperature controller. I see this is your first post; Welcome to HBT! :) If you haven't already, do yourself a favour and read up on temperature controllers for ferm-chambers, particularly in this column: Fermenters You can stay cheap on getting a used fridge or freezer and make it perform how you need it too.
:mug:

I'd say go for that mini fridge! I ferment my lagers at 50 everytime with great results. I also agree with the others - the Inkbird is the way to go!

Finding a mini-fridge that would hold a 5-gallon fermentor was my biggest problem. Once I found one, I gently tilted the freezer plate down so it would turn the whole interior into a freezer. (Don’t break the refrigerant line)

Then I used a temp controller to set fermentation & lagering temps.

That said, if you have the space & money, buying a chest freezer is easier & safer.

I was confused about the question as most issues I see wrt "things that chill" are concerned with their low temperature capability - not their warmest thermostatic control range. That "problem" as mentioned is easily resolved with a dual stage add-on controller and some modest heat source, like a heat matt or a small reptile bulb in a $5 ceramic fixture :)

Cheers!

I did the same thing Beernik did. It works great. Check Craigslist or Facebook market place for a used one. Youtube has some videos on how to set them up. Make sure to measure so it fits your fermentation vessel.

Look on FB marketplace or Craigslist and find a branded commercial minifridge, like Rockstar or Monster drinks or whatever. They are more robust, and have the compressor and guts mounted up on top. The floor is stainless and there's tons of room. I had a 5 gallon bucket with airlock in mine.

Mini fridge with an external controller is the way to go. You can dial in any temp you want, mine can go below freezing up to ambient. 48-50F for fermentation, 66F for D-rests, 34F for lagering.
AD1724D5-9AA2-4FAC-9E7D-5ECB90EC6522.jpeg
2E0A1D7D-C91C-4385-8CBC-1CA1D3E86D9B.jpeg

Back