PPR Fantasy Football

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@troglodytes punches his ticket to the 2023 with this collection of goodies. Thanks!

PXL_20230207_022240179~2.jpg

Package received from @Spundit. Thanks they’re loaded into the beer fridge. I never knew Genny made a RIS. I can’t wait to try them all.
1CBA8722-EA63-463F-A739-87CBF0D3F644.jpeg

Package received from @Spundit. Thanks .......
Good deal. I figured we probably were in the same distrubution areas for the flashier regional breweries so I went with mostly micro brews. I am a fan of the Too Kind from Three Heads brewing.

Email today says our league is ready to go.

But I still haven’t shipped beer! Also, it’s MAY! We still have hockey and basketball, it’s not even close to time for football!

(But yeah, should probably stop procrastinating on shipping some beer.)

Any interest in changing up the format a little? A couple ideas...
  • 2 QB / Superflex league: The only difference being that in a 2 QB league, you're required to start 2 QBs. In superflex, you add one additional flex slot that can be QB/RB/WR/TE. That basically becomes 2 QB in practice (because QB scores the most), but in the weeks where one of your QBs is on bye (if you're not rostering 3) you can put in another position. Both options help to value the QB position higher than traditional fantasy, which is usually preferred considering it's just about the most important offensive position and traditional fantasy devalues it...
  • Add a third WR slot to starting lineup: WR has grown to be an increasingly-important position in the NFL and a lot of teams are in 3-WR sets as their primary formation. This forces managers to dig deeper into the waiver wire and draft for WR gems to fill their roster.
  • If no on the 3 WR, add a second [traditional, not super] Flex: Has the advantages of requiring you to go deeper in your waiver wire and draft strategy, but is not locked to a WR... You can fill that extra spot with RB/WR/TE as the weekly situation requires.
Obviously all of these will require expanding the bench sizes a little and thus a few more rounds come draft-time. But this has an added benefit that if your benches are fuller and the waiver wire is more barren, it gives more incentive to trade, which is something that I think a lot of more casual leagues don't really do...

I'm open for anything. But also, I don't get a vote until I've actually shipped beer. (Which I haven't forgotten about, I just haven't done it yet) I could use a draft date for motivation though!

Any interest in changing up the format a little? A couple ideas...
  • 2 QB / Superflex league: The only difference being that in a 2 QB league, you're required to start 2 QBs. In superflex, you add one additional flex slot that can be QB/RB/WR/TE. That basically becomes 2 QB in practice (because QB scores the most), but in the weeks where one of your QBs is on bye (if you're not rostering 3) you can put in another position. Both options help to value the QB position higher than traditional fantasy, which is usually preferred considering it's just about the most important offensive position and traditional fantasy devalues it...
I see where Superflex leagues have a lineup something like this:
  • 9 Total Starters
  • 1 Quarterback
  • 2 Running Backs
  • 3 Wide Receivers
  • 1 Tight End
  • 1 Flex RB / WR / TE
  • 1 Flex RB / WR / TE / QB
I (for one) am not a fan of trading but whatever you guys want, is fine with me.

Cheers!

I see where Superflex leagues have a lineup something like this:
  • 9 Total Starters
  • 1 Quarterback
  • 2 Running Backs
  • 3 Wide Receivers
  • 1 Tight End
  • 1 Flex RB / WR / TE
  • 1 Flex RB / WR / TE / QB
I (for one) am not a fan of trading but whatever you guys want, is fine with me.

Cheers!
Yep. Add a kicker and a DST and you've got 11 total starting positions. You probably need a little deeper bench too to support those additional positions.

As for trading, I do think that sometimes it tends towards stress for people who aren't in leagues where trading is common. But I think this is something that can work into league culture over time. There should NEVER be pressure to accept a trade just because someone offered one. But trades are designed to be mutually beneficial--one owner needs X but is overbuilt in Y, while another owner needs Y but is overbuilt in X. Every trade offer is step one in a negotiation. The easiest answer is "no" and offer no counter. The next step is "yeah, I want that player but I'm not going to trade the guy you want, how about I offer this other guy instead?"

The deeper a league gets (whether that's due to more teams, or due to deeper benches), the less you find valuable on the waiver wire and in FA. The more it requires engagement with league-mates to find mutually-beneficial trades that help both parties.

Whether that's something we want or not isn't something I know... It's just my opinion that it makes everything more interesting.

@lupulinaddict I'm just curious if there is a draft date and time for the upcoming season
I haven’t set the draft, yet. We usually aim for last Sunday of preseason…usually around the last game time too. I just got my shipment out to tbc this week. I’ve been a bad boy. I need to get ahold of him and confirm the shipments from last season.
There also were a few people last year that wanted in last minute, so I need to read back through the thread and get ahold of them. Also, some mentions of rule changes we need to confirm with everyone.
Speak your mind now so we can try to get the poll started if you’re concerned about changing anything that hasn’t been mentioned.

I'm in again this year. I don't have any particular rule change suggestions that I can think of. I thought this past season was much better without the points per rb carry. It brought a lot of parity back to the league. And I liked the 2nd place getting a little something as well.

Just got back from the Bahamas and this package was waiting for me from @lupulinaddict. I already loaded it in the beer fridge. Thanks, I can’t wait to try all of them. I don’t believe I’ve had any of them before.
IMG_7910.jpeg

If you haven’t already confirmed for this season, please post your confirmation to play.

If you haven’t shipped, ship.

Also need votes for draft date. Probably 5/6 pm pdt to for the east coasters. What works best for everyone?

Preseason week 3:
8/26
8/27
Labor Day weekend:
9/2
9/3

I'm in

I can make most any day work for the draft. I'd prefer the later the better, just because of injuries/news.

Also, I'd be willing to implement a 3WR or Superflex (prefer over 2 QB). I like both formats.

See, in MY opinion, shipping order should = draft order. ;)
I like it! Although finishing second I didn't have to ship, nor did the winner...

But I could see doing something like that for future years.

Not that you get order of draft based on shipment order, but you get your choice of draft slot based on:

1st choice - previous year champ
2nd choice - previous year runner-up
3rd-Xth choice - remaining returning players in order of beer shipment
Remaining - new league entrants (will need to figure out some way if multiple to have them randomly draw for order)

Some people don't want pick 1.01, so I wouldn't force it on any player. But by allowing people to choose where they want to draft based on shipment order ensures that if someone likes drafting from the front, or the middle, or the back of the order, they can influence that. And it ensures that people ship beer in a more timely manner... And for the new entrants, you're not automatically shoving them to picks 1.11/1.12, for them it will approximate a random draft order because previous choices may leave a hole in a random place for them.

(It also gives people a MUCH more concrete target during draft prep... Random draws 30 minutes prior to the draft starting means that I have to have strategies for drafting from various parts of the draw already in place because I don't know what I'll get. Having the draft order, say, 1 week prior to the draft, avoids that.)

I like it! Although finishing second I didn't have to ship, nor did the winner...

But I could see doing something like that for future years.

Not that you get order of draft based on shipment order, but you get your choice of draft slot based on:

1st choice - previous year champ
2nd choice - previous year runner-up
3rd-Xth choice - remaining returning players in order of beer shipment
Remaining - new league entrants (will need to figure out some way if multiple to have them randomly draw for order)

Some people don't want pick 1.01, so I wouldn't force it on any player. But by allowing people to choose where they want to draft based on shipment order ensures that if someone likes drafting from the front, or the middle, or the back of the order, they can influence that. And it ensures that people ship beer in a more timely manner... And for the new entrants, you're not automatically shoving them to picks 1.11/1.12, for them it will approximate a random draft order because previous choices may leave a hole in a random place for them.

(It also gives people a MUCH more concrete target during draft prep... Random draws 30 minutes prior to the draft starting means that I have to have strategies for drafting from various parts of the draw already in place because I don't know what I'll get. Having the draft order, say, 1 week prior to the draft, avoids that.)
No, no, I think if you don't ship you should be last. Even lower if you shipped a negative number of boxes!

I'm more partial to the randomized draft orders, but I would love to have my draft position a week in advance for prep.
Isn’t ship order random? I mean, unless you plan ahead, buy beer the day before the championship match, and ask both winners for their address so you can get it in the mail the second the final point locks in - but that would be crazy, and nobody would do that…

But seriously, I’m fine with whatever. Draft order doesn’t matter much if you forget and autodraft anyways. 😭

I’m a fan of randomly selected draft positions.

One league that I was in had the draft order on how you finished, similar to what the NFL does.

Needless to say, there was a team who tanked, so that they can get a top pick the following year. They figured that they bought into the league, it’s their team and they can do what they want.

That rule quickly was abolished

I need to read back and find the guy from last season. We have another that messaged me this year that wants to play. I’ll get ahold of them sign them up.

I don’t think I have an option in settings to randomize other that right before the draft. We can use a different method to randomize and I can manually put in the draft order if that suits everyone better.

My vote is random draft order, I think that rankings would be harder to keep track of and somewhat ineffective when we usually have a few team managers changing each season.

As always though, I’m really fine with anything. I’ll update the draft, teams, and any rule changes this weekend. Last call for votes.

Random draft order works fine, but to be honest if you can draw teams from a hat and manually put in the random order earlier (say minimum 72 hrs before draft) it would help draft prep IMHO. Roster construction can change a LOT between 1.01, 1.06, and 1.12.

Sounds like there wasn't appetite for 2QB or Superflex, which I get as it becomes a pretty significant strategy change. But I wouldn't hate either going 3WR or staying 2WR but adding a 2nd Flex spot, and increasing roster size by 1, to dig deeper into the talent pool.

Latest posts

Back