Possible Stuck Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArmyATCBrewer

Reaction score
Question for the group...
I brewed a graham cracker ale not quite three weeks ago with an OG of 1.056. I racked to secondary after one week and had a gravity of 1.031. I check again today and I'm still sitting at 1.031 (it's Tuesday and I was planning to bottle this Saturday or Sunday). I'm considering repitching, but I'm worried about yeasty off-flavors. Any recommendations? Also worth noting, my access to homebrew supplies is rather limited...I live in Korea. I can get a pack of S-04 though. Thanks for any help you all can offer!

What is the recipe, what yeast, and how much yeast? Sounds like you racked it off the yeast too soon. Do not bottle it until the gravoty comes down. You can try the S-04. Maybe toss in a little boiled corn sugar to give it something to eat.

Checking gravity with a refractometer?
Secondary isn't necessary, and transferring could have reduced your yeast count too low to finish, but we still need much more information. Recipe, mash temp, yeast and amount pitched, fermentation temp, etc.

Here's the recipe I used:

Slim's Graham Cracker Ale

9lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter
8 Ounces Crystal Malt 80
4 Ounces of Chocolate Malt
2 box's of Nabisco Honey Maid Graham Crackers (14.4oz each)
1lb Rice Hulls
----Mash 156 for 60 Minutes
Bring Wort to Boil
1lb Brown Sugar
5 Ounces of Bakers Chocolate (Unsweetened)
0.75 Ounces of Goldings, East Kent (5.0%) 60 Minutes
0.75 Ounces of Fuggles (4.5%) 60 minutes
0.25 Ounces of Goldings, East Kent (5.0%) for 7 Minutes
0.25 Ounces of Fuggles (4.5%) for 7 Minutes
-----Pitch Safale S-04 Yeast
Ferment for 1 week
Add 2 vanilla beans to primary

My ferm temp has been fairly steady at ~67-68F.
I followed this recipe just about to the T. My OG was quite a bit lower than anticipated due to a miscalculation on my water. Here's where I KNOW I screwed up...the original recipe says to add the vanilla beans to primary after one week. In my hurry due to my busy work schedule, I didn't read it as carefully as I should have and took it to say that was the end of primary. Only after did I notice the part that said to continue primary for another week before racking to secondary. Lesson learned.

I was able to pick up an extra pack of S-04, but should I pitch the whole pack? Should I make a starter and pitch that? This is something I haven't come across before, so I wanted to get some better advice on it before I make matters worse. Bottom line, I'll drink it either way. It tastes pretty darn good right now.

In reference to the refractometer, my hydrometer broke and I haven't been able to get a new one yet. Is it not okay to check gravity with a refractometer?

Sorry for all the noob questions and thanks again!

No worries mate. Glad to help. Sounds like it fermented out nicely.

Tasty beer on the cards I reckon.

Let us know how it looks when it's all deliciously carbonated and cold.

Cheers

Wow! I did not know that! Thank you for sharing!

You and me both. I had to dump my first batch earlier this year, after I failed to grasp the fact that I needed to do a calculation to work out the final gravity with a refractometer. I was opening the fermenter while there was no active fermentation going on, and eventually something nasty got into it. It was disappointing, but at the same time, reminded me why it's a good thing I experiment with small batches (1 gallon) as I wasn't actually dumping too much in the way of financial investment, it was just the time I was throwing away.

Now I know how to use my refractometer, I would never go back to using a hydrometer.

You and me both. I had to dump my first batch earlier this year, after I failed to grasp the fact that I needed to do a calculation to work out the final gravity with a refractometer. I was opening the fermenter while there was no active fermentation going on, and eventually something nasty got into it. It was disappointing, but at the same time, reminded me why it's a good thing I experiment with small batches (1 gallon) as I wasn't actually dumping too much in the way of financial investment, it was just the time I was throwing away.

Now I know how to use my refractometer, I would never go back to using a hydrometer.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I've only dumped one batch so far. And in hindsight, that was a mistake. I had a blueberry vanilla porter develop a pellicle and I thought it was mold. If only I'd known then what I know now about sours. But hey...at least I learned something out of it.

Quick note on refractometers and specifically Northern's calculator. As far as I can tell, they do not have a wort correction factor built into their calculator (not the same as alcohol correction). This factor is instrument specific and it will generally fall into the 1.02 to 1.06 range. Since it's a fractional error, the larger the beer, the larger the error and can affect your readings several points.

Calculator with correction factor:

http://www.brewersfriend.com/refractometer-calculator/

Further explanation:

http://byo.com/hops/item/1313-refractometers

Refractometer correction after fermentation needs to be a sticky or something. It seems like at least 50% of the "Stuck fermentation?" threads relate to someone using a refractometer to measure final gravity and not knowing to correct the reading.

refractometer correction after fermentation needs to be a sticky or something. It seems like at least 50% of the "stuck fermentation?" threads relate to someone using a refractometer to measure final gravity and not knowing to correct the reading.

+1

Back