Pic Request: BIAB recirc/vorlauf

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mer-man

Reaction score
To those of you who recirc into/through your grain sack/canister, would you please post some pics of what your wort looks like going into the boil?
And describe your setup.

I am wondering if it's worth it to get a pump.

Thanks!

Quick clarification. Are you wanting pics from single vessel brewers, or anyone who uses BIAB?

I could never get the crystal clear wort I desired into the BK when I was single vessel with a bag, hence the reason I switched to two-vessel.

here's mine, not the best pic, but hopefully you can see the manifold...
20171029_083128.jpg

Quick clarification. Are you wanting pics from single vessel brewers, or anyone who uses BIAB?

I could never get the crystal clear wort I desired into the BK when I was single vessel with a bag, hence the reason I switched to two-vessel.

Anyone who uses BIAB. Can you photo/diagram the mechanics of your setup? I don't see (ha ha) how it works. I mean, I get that you underlet from one vessel into the mash vessel, but how does that get you clear wort?

Last edited:
I
Anyone who uses BIAB. Can you photo/diagram the mechanics of your setup? I don't see (ha ha) how it works. I mean, I get that you underlet from one vessel into the mash vessel, but how does that get you clear wort?
I'll see if I can find a pic. Basically from bottom of kettle to pump to manifold you see in pic.

I don't have any pictures of a brew day with my current set up, but it's easy enough to understand. Start in the BK/HLT, underlet to MLT, recirculate the mash, transfer back to BK.

Underlet doesn't get you clear wort. Recirculating or a vorlauf prior to transfer to the BK does (or at least can). With a single vessel system, the grain is hoisted from the mash tun and this is what causes the cloudy wort leading up to the boil.

Edit: forgot to mention, my wort going into the boil is crystal clear. You can see the elements in the bottom of the kettle through the wort.

Last edited:
Does clear wort taste better? Answer this question. Would you Rather have clear wort, or tasty beer? One of my favorite beers looks like muddy river water. Don’t get me wrong clear beer is impressive but taste comes first. Just my novice .02.

Underlet doesn't get you clear wort. Recirculating or a vorlauf prior to transfer to the BK does (or at least can). With a single vessel system, the grain is hoisted from the mash tun and this is what causes the cloudy wort leading up to the boil.

Great, that's clear enough. I understand that you recirc in your underlet MLT, which clarifies the wort. Then you transfer back to the BK.

Does clear wort taste better? Answer this question. Would you Rather have clear wort, or tasty beer? One of my favorite beers looks like muddy river water. Don’t get me wrong clear beer is impressive but taste comes first. Just my novice .02.

"Does clear wort taste better?"
See quotes below from Kunze and Fix. Clear wort impacts the quality and stability of the final product.

"Would you Rather have clear wort, or tasty beer?"
Again, see below. They go hand in hand. There is no separating the two.

"One of my favorite beers looks like muddy river water."
That's great. I also like some really hopped up beers that are cloudy due to the hopping schedule. And I like wheat beer too. But these beers are cloudy not because their wort was cloudy and their cloudiness doesn't bolster the argument that cloudy wort has no impact on beer.

Pick up a copy of Kunze's "Technology of Brewing and Malting", which is used in brewing courses around the world to educate those looking to go into the field professionally.

To quote Kunze in said book...

"During malting the lipids are partly broken down and this breakdown is continued during mashing. This breakdown will later be of great interest to us. A large part of the lipids is later precipitated with the trub. Cloudy lautering and poor trub excretion lead to large amounts of free fatty acids in the wort, which the yeast cells require to produce new cell substances, but which can also contribute to a reduction in flavour stability."

And another fellow named Fix agrees in his "Principals of Brewing Science", which is another book used in brewing education.

“The group of interest here is the long-chain, unsaturated fatty acids that are derived from malt. They are typically found in wort trub (i.e., particles suspended in the wort), which can consist of as much as 50% lipids (Meilgaard, 1977). Cloudy wort can contain anywhere from 5 to 40 times the unsaturated fatty-acid content of clear wort, an important fact because unsaturated fatty acids can have a significant negative effect even at low concentrations. On the positive side, fatty acids contribute to yeast viability via a number of mechanisms (see chapter 3), and they also inhibit the formation of some less pleasant acetate esters during fermentation (see chapter 3). On the negative side, they work against beer foam stability, as any fatty material does. Even more significantly, they play an important role in beer staling(see chapter 4). Thus, some investigations have reported that wort clarity (via trub removal) is essential (Zangrando, 1979), whereas other investigators have found some carryover of unsaturated fatty acids in the trub to be beneficial (Hough et al., 1981). In spite of these advantages, brewers still prefer clarified worts with minimum trub carryover, if for no other reason than the negative role wort-derived fatty acids play in beer staling. Another class of beer-staling constituents consists of fatty acids. In beer, fatty acids come from two sources, namely, unsaturated fatty acids from wort trub and saturated ones from yeast metabolism. As discussed in chapter 3, the saturated fatty acids can react with alcohols to form esters. The unsaturated fatty acids, on the other hand, are major players in beer staling. They tend to be fairly resistant to oxidation and spill over into the finished beer where they tend to produce “fatty or goaty notes.””

I read that when it was first published, and with great fervor I quoted it many times in the past when someone would tell me trub mattered. But this was all before I realized something very profound.

Abused beer tastes like abused beer, even if you abuse it some more.

Getting off topic a bit, but the reason many of the experiments result in, well, not much in the way of findings, is that the beer they start with falls into the abused category. This is not a statement of whether it not I think they're nice, upstanding people. Heck, I'm sure I'd enjoy their company at dinner. And they're very experienced home brewers. But practice makes permanent, not perfect.

After having produced and tasted non-abused beer by following the practices of the two brewing authorities I quoted, I will forever question exbeeriments that start with beer produced contrary to some of the basic tenants outlined in their texts. Another interesting side effect is that it is now hard to drink a lot of the craft beers out there as I can taste if it has been treated poorly during production.

Does this mean BIAB is a flawed process? I believe i saw somewhere at some point you had a Brau BIAB system and now you switched to a 2 vessel? Big taste difference ?

Back