New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cutting tiles is their honey ipa series I believe it’s all single hopped I but I could be wrong there

Yes it is. All these beers are single hop varieties with raw wildflower honey. I had one several years ago with vic secret. It was a beautiful beer.
This is getting trippy. I am going to use my in laws honey to boost my SG. I have a little over nine lbs of grain left from before I moved and want to get into the 7% range. I am going to use the boost of honey at flame out to get the extra gravity points needed. It’s like the planets are aligning for this brew, man something is going to have to go wrong…

This is getting trippy. I am going to use my in laws honey to boost my SG. I have a little over nine lbs of grain left from before I moved and want to get into the 7% range. I am going to use the boost of honey at flame out to get the extra gravity points needed. It’s like the planets are aligning for this brew, man something is going to have to go wrong…
Sound good. I was also going to suggest what @IslandLizard suggested and do it lower around your whirlpool temp so you can kill two birds with one stone

You can send it my way… I’ll give you tasting notes lol

I’ve only bought YC from the LHBS in Rochester and I’ve never seen that. I’ve always had good luck with YVH. I’d like to see your findings when u open that sucker up.
Just opened it. Unfortunately they were very cheesy so I tossed them. I’ve also only had good experiences with YC, so it’s def an isolated issue

I'd wait for the whirlpool at 140-150F to add the honey. It will pasteurize in a 5-10 minutes that way, and retain the higher fragrant honey notes.
Never thought about it that way. I was just using for the boost in points as I’ve got 15 lbs of it.

Last edited:
Never thought about it that way. I was just using for the boost in points as I’ve 15 lbs of it.
If you really wanted more honey flavor, adding the honey toward the end of fermentation is even better.
I always do that with honey and syrups. I keep some wort behind and use that to thin the honey and syrups for easier pouring and mixing. Everything done in the primary fermenter. Although using a pre-purged secondary and an oxygen-free transfer may have offer some additional benefits.

This thread is impressive...not surprising though. I've brewed around 100+ batches, mainly IPA's, but its been around 2 years since by last batch and things are a little fuzzy. Plus, I've been out of the research game in terms of the latest and greatest. My last few batches back in 2020 I added my first dry hop 24 hours after pitching my yeast. Partially because I was using the OYL-61 Voss Kveik which ferments super quick. That was part of the reason I started dry hopping so soon. Those beers turned out really good. So to avoid any responses like "if it turned out good, just repeat" I'm wondering in general what others are doing in terms of dry hop timing. I decided to use WLP-067 Coastal Haze and not sure how fast it ferments. I made a heathy starter and it was going full steam very quickly. My general google search is telling me like 3 days, but I'm skeptical because I did 24 hours with great results (albeit potentially different yeast). With the Voss Kveik, I usually hopped again on day 2-3 just in case. Then again in the keg. So not exactly sure which of those hop charges gave me the good results I got. Thoughts?

Personally I dry hop after fermentation is done and after a soft crash to drop the yeast out. 3 days before packaging. I've been using coastal haze in my past several batches and I love the results. Hard to say which part of your hopping process gave you the results you liked. Also I dry hop at 55f.

Personally I dry hop after fermentation is done and after a soft crash to drop the yeast out. 3 days before packaging. I've been using coastal haze in my past several batches and I love the results. Hard to say which part of your hopping process gave you the results you liked. Also I dry hop at 55f.
I have a neipa in the planning stages, likely will get it brewed next month. My initial idea was to use Coastal Haze but my LHBS doesn’t carry it. I’m going to go dry with Verdant instead.

This thread is impressive...not surprising though. I've brewed around 100+ batches, mainly IPA's, but its been around 2 years since by last batch and things are a little fuzzy. Plus, I've been out of the research game in terms of the latest and greatest. My last few batches back in 2020 I added my first dry hop 24 hours after pitching my yeast. Partially because I was using the OYL-61 Voss Kveik which ferments super quick. That was part of the reason I started dry hopping so soon. Those beers turned out really good. So to avoid any responses like "if it turned out good, just repeat" I'm wondering in general what others are doing in terms of dry hop timing. I decided to use WLP-067 Coastal Haze and not sure how fast it ferments. I made a heathy starter and it was going full steam very quickly. My general google search is telling me like 3 days, but I'm skeptical because I did 24 hours with great results (albeit potentially different yeast). With the Voss Kveik, I usually hopped again on day 2-3 just in case. Then again in the keg. So not exactly sure which of those hop charges gave me the good results I got. Thoughts?
I just dry hop in a single dose after terminal (I usually wait 2 to 2.5 weeks after pitch). I add the dry hops after a 24 hrs soft crash and then maintain at 59F for 2 days while occasionally rousing the hops with CO2 burps, then cold crash 2 days while I carbonate with a carb stone, then transfer to the keg. I used to dry hop in various earlier stages during and just after active fermentation but struggled with hop creep until I changed my process to dry hop only during the soft-crash thanks to a lot of helpful into in this thread. Here's my latest batch that I just kegged on Friday.
Yeast: Coastal Haze
Hot side: Idaho7
WP: Idaho7, Citra, Enigma
Cold side: Enigma and Lupomax Citra

This one won't last long!

tempImage8OMgmg.jpg

Last edited:
I just dry hop in a single dose after terminal (I usually wait 2 to 2.5 weeks after pitch). I add the dry hops after a 24 hrs soft crash and then maintain at 59F for 2 days while occasionally rousing the hops with CO2 burps, then cold crash 2 days while I carbonate with a carb stone, then transfer to the keg. I used to dry hop in various earlier stages during and just after active fermentation but struggled with hop creep until I changed my process to dry hop only during the soft-crash thanks to a lot of helpful into in this thread. Here's my latest batch that I just kegged on Friday.

Looks great!

I really dig enigma. I get like red skin berries and earth, super unique.

I actually did a 100% Brett D fermented Hoppy ale that was primaried for 3 months, then aged on on apricot purée for about a month, and then dryhop with enigma. It’s now been bottle conditioning for about 2 months and coming together nicely
894655A7-F4D4-4800-B163-7A1CEA0CC9B2.jpeg
35ED0953-572D-408A-A79D-CEB915533C6F.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a neipa in the planning stages, likely will get it brewed next month. My initial idea was to use Coastal Haze but my LHBS doesn’t carry it. I’m going to go dry with Verdant instead.
If you need other supplies you can order it from Morebeer and have Coastal Haze in a few days. I would highly recommend it over Verdant, although there are a lot of good reviews for Verdant. IMHO, Coastal Haze is my favorite NEIPA yeast out of about 10+ I've tried. Going to give Omega British Ale V a go very soon too.

If you need other supplies you can order it from Morebeer and have Coastal Haze in a few days. I would highly recommend it over Verdant, although there are a lot of good reviews for Verdant. IMHO, Coastal Haze is my favorite NEIPA yeast out of about 10+ I've tried. Going to give Omega British Ale V a go very soon too.
Yeah, I do really want to try Coastal Haze. Two guys in our homebrew club opened up a brewery a couple years ago and so far doing really well with it. (I've mentioned Humdinger Brewing many times on this site). I just recently found out they bought out the LHBS shop. I texted my buddy and he says they don't stock it but would order me a couple pkgs if I want. So I may get to use it after all.

View attachment 780076

Okay, I guess I need to read through all 400+ pages now because of you! That looks amazing!

So I'm going to give 2022 Galaxy a go. Settled on a Fidens-esque grain bill of 60% Rahr 2-Row, 35% Flaked Oats, and 5% Mecca Alvarado Wheat Malt. Using 1318 and this will be a 2 gallon batch (into the fermenter). I want to use Columbus LupoMax in the whirlpool and all Galaxy in the dry hop. Just trying to settle on quantities.

A little side story. I've been brewing hazies since late 2015 after having my first tastes of Tree House and Trillium earlier that year. I fell in love with Green and Congress Street. Since Trillium posts what grains they use and with JC being more forthcoming with info than he is now, I decided to brew something close to Congress Street. First batch turned out amazing, just a tad green. I was using CTZ in the boil. After honing the recipe I was nailing the beer every time I brewed it. I was brewing 5 gallon batches at the time and was throwing in 6oz. of Galaxy on day 2 of fermentation. Those batches were amazingly tropical with very little bitterness. Since then, I've noticed a huge decline in Galaxy hops. They went from super tropical to earthy and muddy. I wrote it off after I used it in 2017. Now it's 2022 and I caught the Galaxy bug again. I want to use it to see if it's back to its former glory or somewhat close. Forever chasing that Galaxy dragon from 2015 and 2016.

Last edited:

I’ve switched over to British Ale V on my last couple of brews from 1318. I really like it. I’ve gotten 78% attenuation both times on high gravity wort and even thought they’re essentially the same strain of yeast, I’ve found that BAV doesn’t overpower the hops as much. My first beer with it was a single hop Citra with T90, Lupo & Cryo and the Citra really popped.

For those that do not have a good home brew shop nearby. Where is the most reliable place to order liquid yeast online? Looking for cosmic punch, juice, 1318, etc.

The last time I ordered liquid yeast from northern brewer both pouches came swelled.

For those that do not have a good home brew shop nearby. Where is the most reliable place to order liquid yeast online? Looking for cosmic punch, juice, 1318, etc.

The last time I ordered liquid yeast from northern brewer both pouches came swelled.
It's difficult in the Summer to get liquid yeast cold in the mail. Morebeer delivers in 2 days, depending where you live. You can request an ice pack for a small fee. As long as you make a starter, you should be fine, even if the packs swell. I've only had 1 yeast pack not be viable in 5+ years after making a starter.

Do you know what Coastal Haze is? Is it a unique strain or a cross-strain ala Imperial's A24? My local homebrew doesn't have a lot of yeasts so I usually go dry yeast for a cost-saving and convenience factor.

Also, British Ale V is 95%+ the same as Verdant. Why go for it when you've tried Verdant?

Do you know what Coastal Haze is? Is it a unique strain or a cross-strain ala Imperial's A24? My local homebrew doesn't have a lot of yeasts so I usually go dry yeast for a cost-saving and convenience factor.

Also, British Ale V is 95%+ the same as Verdant. Why go for it when you've tried Verdant?
White labs claims Coastal Haze is a blend. I've used A24, and I think it's different, but without DNA testing it, I have no clue. Been my favorite NEIPA yeast so far.

As far as British Ale V goes, never used it. Figured I'd give it a shot after reading on Omega's site that it's a "gold standard" for NEIPAs. I think I may be the only brewer not impressed with Verdant. The manufacturer's description of each yeast sound similar but not the same. I guess I'll find out!

I live in South Florida so getting liquid yeast is difficult for me as well as any ice pack shipped with the yeast will long since have melted 2+ days ago by the time it arrives 4+ days after I order it. I also don't want to pay $30 for overnight shipping.

Juice and 1318 are generally the same yeast. If you want to try it that will get you 95%+ the way there you can go for the dry version of Lallemand's Verdant IPA yeast.

I've never had an issue just making a starter when the pouch arrives, inflated or not. Might not be able to direct pitch as advertised, but rarely would you not benefit from a starter. That said i dont do starters for dry yeast.

I overbuild my starts, save a portion and these samples stay in the top shelf of my fridge for months to years. I start with a 500ml half strength (1.020 ish) starter, step that up to a 1.040 1L and then to 1.5-2L at 1.040 after that. That first step rarely looks like much is going on, but the second step takes right off the morning after I add second step starter.

That said, I'd vote MoreBeer first, but maybe you have a more local HBS willing to ship in Alabama or Georgia or something.

Depending on where you live, RiteBrew is great for Wyeast. They do a pre-order a few times a month and once they get it from Wyeast, they ship it out. That's where I get my 1318. I get it in 2 days, but I'm in Missouri. If you need 1318, they have a pre-order that ends on 9/11 and will get shipped out on 9/19.

I live in South Florida so getting liquid yeast is difficult for me as well as any ice pack shipped with the yeast will long since have melted 2+ days ago by the time it arrives 4+ days after I order it. I also don't want to pay $30 for overnight shipping.

Juice and 1318 are generally the same yeast. If you want to try it that will get you 95%+ the way there you can go for the dry version of Lallemand's Verdant IPA yeast.
I use Brewsrq.com. Don’t know where u are, but if you’re close to Sarasota u can pick up orders on site. It’s mostly an online shop and don’t really have a storefront. I’ve gotten all my Omega yeast from them along with malt.

Last edited:
I use Brewsrq.com. Don’t know where u are, but if you’re close to Sarasota u can pick up orders on site. It’s mostly an online shop and don’t really have a storefront. I’ve gotten all my Omega yeast from them along with malt.
I’ll have to check them out.

The other main thing regarding liquid yeast is the price relative to dry yeast. I do not have a stir plate or flasks which will run probably $75-ish as a “startup” cost.

I’ll have to check them out.

The other main thing regarding liquid yeast is the price relative to dry yeast. I do not have a stir plate or flasks which will run probably $75-ish as a “startup” cost.
I bought my stir plate and "yeast starter kit" on amazon for 30 each. Not that far off from your 75 though.

However, before I had a stir plate I would just use a growler with some foil on top. swirl it up to get O2 in there when ever i thought about it and it works wonders. The growth rate is not as high as if it was on a stir plate, but it very much still works. The brewersfriend yeast growth calculator even has selections for this. In addition to "stir plate" growth model there are options for "no agitation" and "shaking" growth models as well.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/

Targeting 5 gallons in the keg and 70-75%ish efficiency from being a little better with my Foundry
80% 2-row,
10% malted oats,
10% red wheat

.5 oz CTZ 60 min

Ca/Mg/Na/SO4/Cl/Ph
90/10/70/100/200/5.3

whirlpool:
.5 oz CTZ
3 oz citra t-90
2 oz el dorado
1 oz amarillo

dry hop:
1 oz amarillo cryo
4 oz el dorado t-90
1 oz citra cryo

Also exciting, Woven Water in Tampa is dropping a Nectaron beer (also hopped with Citra and Lotus) tomorrow. I have to check it out given the raving reviews for Nectaron earlier in this thread!

Got around to brewing this two weeks ago and fermenting with Sundew. Spent a week in primary, soft crash for 2 days at 50 degrees, a day on the above-mentioned dry hops, kegged up Wednesday, and drinking fine today though I'm excited to see how it evolves. Both transfers were a hot mess but I'm excited to do it a bit better next time. I'm still a little unsure about opening the purged keg and just tossing the dry hops in, but that's kind of what it's got to be for now eh?

beer (1).jpg

Also spotted another Nectaron beer in the wild, Wall to Wall Money by Cigar City! It's hopped with Nectaron + Nelson + Simcoe and is quite tasty though an unusual combo. Admittedly, my expectations were lower than they probably should have been.

I have similar advice as @Sbe2 , though a different shop. Afford-a-brew just north of Tampa will ship and has a lot of the yeasts you'd probably want to try. It should only be "in transit" for a day max. I'd also recommend a starter. You can get a 2L flask and a stopper for a lot less than $75. There are those fancy starter cans of liquid wort or you can just keep a bag of dme on hand.

I'm planning to do an all Citra brew using Incognito, Lupomax and T90's. Obviously, the Incognito is going in the whirlpool, but what is the best way to distribute the Lupo and T90?

I'm planning to do an all Citra brew using Incognito, Lupomax and T90's. Obviously, the Incognito is going in the whirlpool, but what is the best way to distribute the Lupo and T90?
I use the lupomax in WP, in your case you can mix it with the T90 to dry hop.

T90 in the whirlpool.
Knockout "hot" onto the Incognito.
Dryhop with the Lupomax.

Yakima promotes Incognito as flowable at ambient temps, but it mixes significantly better with warm wort. Load the Incognito into your fermenter, then knockout a gallon of hot wort (160-170° ish) onto the Incognito so that it can mix, then chill your wort as you normally would, then bring the entire fermenter down to pitching temps with glycol. If you want a bit more explanation of this process look up Craft Beer and Brewing podcast #217 with Kelsey McNair.

Back