New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. I do have some bru-1. Will prob come to finalized dry hop based on how they all smell. With your pineapple combo of bru-1:vs:Citra I’m assuming you went with something like a 2:1:2 ratio? Or even 3:1:1?
I think I might have posted in the thread. Let me look. It was called “Flocking Juicy”

Here is the info the info. I also found the picture that @TheDudeLebowski took of it when he tried it.

Dryhop FV2
2 oz Bru1 LUPOMAX
3 oz Bru1 t90
2.5 oz Vic Secret
2.5 oz Citra LUPOMAX

CCF74A60-9CDE-4D59-87FC-10ED2BC3E442.jpeg

So I dry hopped today, my bru-1 that I had left over from an 8oz pack didn't smell fantastic, but el dorado and vic secret 2oz packs did. So I went with El Dorado, Vic Secret, and Citra LUPOMAX in a 2:1:1 ratio respectively. So hoping for a nice bright tropical fruit bomb favoring pineapple forward notes.

Last edited:
A little while back there was some talk about the decrease in equilibriums quality, but despite all that the wife and I are taking a trip up there from central pa this weekend for our anniversary. Last year we went to Richmond and had a fantastic time, lots of good breweries there. Seems like there are a couple other breweries in the middletown ny area and we are definitely gonna swing over to tin barn probably on Saturday. I'll do my best to report back on my thoughts of the places we end up. In the meantime I have a neipa in the fermenter that I will be dryhopping next week. It will be citra, nectaron, and galaxy.

A little while back there was some talk about the decrease in equilibriums quality, but despite all that the wife and I are taking a trip up there from central pa this weekend for our anniversary. Last year we went to Richmond and had a fantastic time, lots of good breweries there. Seems like there are a couple other breweries in the middletown ny area and we are definitely gonna swing over to tin barn probably on Saturday. I'll do my best to report back on my thoughts of the places we end up. In the meantime I have a neipa in the fermenter that I will be dryhopping next week. It will be citra, nectaron, and galaxy.
I got a couple of Equilibrium about 2 weeks ago that were canned in May and to be honest I didn't notice a drop off and was looking for it. Still very distinctively Equilibrium.

I mean to be completely honest I'm willing to bet even a less then great example from equilibrium is way better then some stuff from certain breweries around me. Sometimes I'll catch myself at a brewery with a neipa in my hand wanting to tell them that they're doing it wrong.

I mean to be completely honest I'm willing to bet even a less then great example from equilibrium is way better then some stuff from certain breweries around me. Sometimes I'll catch myself at a brewery with a neipa in my hand wanting to tell them that they're doing it wrong.
I have that occurrence often. At this point there are very few breweries I feel make a better NEIPA than I make

To your main point, it’s not the Equilibrium is necessarily making bad beer, their beers aren’t nearly as good as they used to be prior to expanding. They also have had some issues with packaging and beers were oxidizing badly but I believe that’s fixed now.

Last edited:
Correct, I worded it as their quality decreased, didn't mean it to come off like their beer was bad Haha. Suppose it seemed that way, I'm very excited for the trip, the place looks pretty awesome and we will be up there by 1pm tomorrow. Also the weather is looking excellent so that's a plus as well. I agree in saying that there are few breweries that make a neipa as good as mine.

Correct, I worded it as their quality decreased, didn't mean it to come off like their beer was bad Haha. Suppose it seemed that way, I'm very excited for the trip, the place looks pretty awesome and we will be up there by 1pm tomorrow. Also the weather is looking excellent so that's a plus as well. I agree in saying that there are few breweries that make a neipa as good as mine.
It’s a sweet spot. And I got what you were saying but since I knew I was someone who has commented on the drop in quality I wanted to make sure it didn’t sound like I thought they went from great to **** lol.

Idk which route your taking up, 17 maybe but if you get a chance to stop here, you won’t regret it Visit – Obercreek Brewing Company

Also be sure to check out Tin Barn. I believe they are super close to equilibrium

Here is my most recent attempt kegged on Saturday.

I used a simple grain bill of
78.6% Golden Promise
10.7% Flaked Oats
10.7 % Flaked Wheat
Mashed at 152

.65oz Warrior @ 30 min
2.25 oz Strata whirlpool
1.75 Citra whirlpool @ 170f for 20 mins
4.5 oz Strata
4.5 oz Nelson
2.5 oz Sabro Lipomax dry hop post ferm

Fermented at 66f with lallemand verdant IPA

Nose is a slight passion fruit with tons of dank old school ipa minus the pine

Palate is a citrus with a very old school hop flavor. Not a lot tropical or bright fruit/hop flavor.

It’s good but might be slightly oxidized as the amount of hops used are not shining through as much as I’d like.

Any ideas for why it might not have turned out great?

Attachments

• AFB06D5D-F487-4AAB-B713-7C3C5B028DB3.jpeg
    AFB06D5D-F487-4AAB-B713-7C3C5B028DB3.jpeg
    892.7 KB · Views: 0
Here is my most recent attempt kegged on Saturday.

I used a simple grain bill of
78.6% Golden Promise
10.7% Flaked Oats
10.7 % Flaked Wheat
Mashed at 152

.65oz Warrior @ 30 min
2.25 oz Strata whirlpool
1.75 Citra whirlpool @ 170f for 20 mins
4.5 oz Strata
4.5 oz Nelson
2.5 oz Sabro Lipomax dry hop post ferm

Fermented at 66f with lallemand verdant IPA

Nose is a slight passion fruit with tons of dank old school ipa minus the pine

Palate is a citrus with a very old school hop flavor. Not a lot tropical or bright fruit/hop flavor.

It’s good but might be slightly oxidized as the amount of hops used are not shining through as much as I’d like.

Any ideas for why it might not have turned out great?
Looks great. Give it another week or two and that’s when it will probably pop. There’s a chance that the strata was really earthy and pulled more wood from the Sabro, which would challenge that pop of hop brightness also. Warrior is high in cohumulone so it produces a more harsh bitterness and when used at 30, flavor character will still remain, which could have tilted old school

Looks great. Give it another week or two and that’s when it will probably pop. There’s a chance that the strata was really earthy and pulled more wood from the Sabro, which would challenge that pop of hop brightness also. Warrior is high in cohumulone so it produces a more harsh bitterness and when used at 30, flavor character will still remain, which could have tilted old school
Thanks. I’m very happy with the way it looks and smells. It’s just the taste isn’t quite there.

I figured it might just need more time. What would you suggest as a bittering hop instead of warrior?

Thanks. I’m very happy with the way it looks and smells. It’s just the taste isn’t quite there.

I figured it might just need more time. What would you suggest as a bittering hop instead of warrior?
Magnum or horizon are clean. Columbus is high in cohumulone as well but the profile leans better for the style. But honestly alot of folks are using no bittering hops or using a very small 60 min addition to 20 ibus

Magnum or horizon are clean. Columbus is high in cohumulone as well but the profile leans better for the style. But honestly alot of folks are using no bittering hops or using a very small 60 min addition to 20 ibus
I usually do a 30 min boil on the few neipas I’ve done so the 30 min addition is the bittering addition. I usually aim for 20-30 ibus of bittering addition.

In your opinion, would you recommend replacing the 30 min with magnum or switching to 60 min or just ditching the bittering all together?

I usually do a 30 min boil on the few neipas I’ve done so the 30 min addition is the bittering addition. I usually aim for 20-30 ibus of bittering addition.

In your opinion, would you recommend replacing the 30 min with magnum or switching to 60 min or just ditching the bittering all together?
I might ditch it and use a oz of something like Simcoe, strata, or Citra at 20 or 15 and get 1/2 to similar ibus but also gain that character. After that I’d chuck the remaining hotside hops in a 170 whirlpool.

All that said, including previous comments, let the beer condition another 2 weeks and it may change your mind.

I might ditch it and use a oz of something like Simcoe, strata, or Citra at 20 or 15 and get 1/2 to similar ibus but also gain that character. After that I’d chuck the remaining hotside hops in a 170 whirlpool
Thanks my man. I’ll adjust the recipe and try that on the next go round.

Thanks my man. I’ll adjust the recipe and try that on the next go round.
Before you brew again. Let this current beer condition another two weeks. It might flocc out some yeast/other compounds and then really come together. Then all we discussed will be semi obsolete (except actually switching the bittering hop variety to a cleaner on). At that point you’ll know it’s a process situation and you’ll need to get cleaner beer in the keg (ie need a longer crash and more carful transfer, etc)

Last edited:
Before you brew again. Let this current beer condition another two weeks. It might flocc out some yeast/other compounds and then really come together. Then all we discussed will be semi absolute(except actually switching the bittering hop variety to a cleaner on). At that point you’ll know it’s a process situation and you’ll need to get cleaner beer in the keg (ie need a longer crash and more carful transfer, etc)
Great idea, I’ll do that. Thanks for the advice.

Cheers!

My recent bottled NEIPA
I think I finally nailed my ideal New England style
19l
43% pilsner malt
29% wheat malt
22% oat malts
3% maltodextrin
Water profile for
I used:
CTZ at mash hopping for 6IBU (10g)
Citra 50g @whirlpool <80C 20min
Dry hopping Azacca 50g at 2 day of fermentation
50g of Azacca and Citra each dry hopping for 2 days
Fermentation using Ebbegarden Kveik @32C didn't boiled my hops and limited WP because this Kveik can enhance bitterness
Bottled with 3g of ascorbic acid and 0.5g of SMB
IMG_20220901_205449.jpg

I started using coastal haze a couple batches ago and have stuck with it since. Have one on the stir plate now for a brew day this weekend that I'm entertaining into the pa state final competition. I have used imperial a24 and a38, and a few other yeast strains, nothing against the other yeasts I just prefer the coastal haze. I have had repeatable results and really happy with it overall. This was my last batch with it, brewed in may, keg just kicked this past weekend.
View attachment 778060
Can you share your recipe? Visually this is a beauty!

I have a lb of citra and .5 lb of Lupomax Columbus on hand. Looking at doing a WP of 1 oz citra and 2 oz of Columbus. DH 4 oz Citra and 2 oz of Columbus. What are y’all thoughts?

I have a lb of citra and .5 lb of Lupomax Columbus on hand. Looking at doing a WP of 1 oz citra and 2 oz of Columbus. DH 4 oz Citra and 2 oz of Columbus. What are y’all thoughts?
Lots of trillium beers are Columbus and another hop. I feel like Vicinity Street is Citra/Columbus

What hops (for NEIPAs) are you guys getting from the Yakima Valley flash sale?
I will be getting none as I have way to many hops as it is… that’s said, Cashmere and bru1 are the only from that listed that I would buy for NEIPAS. I personally think azacca is bland and you have to use so much of it just to get the faintest amount of character. I’ve only used Zappa twice and it was a few years ago, but I remember it coming off like rotten fruit. Like way over ripe, mushy strawberries, if you know that flavor I’m trying to describe.

I love chinook though for west coast/red ipas/and hoppy browns

Has anyone ever had a Yakima Chief pack swell before? I’ve probably purchased 150-200lbs of hops in my time brewing and I’ve never seen this before….
Me neither. Containing an N2 widget perhaps?
Did they arrive flat, or as a hard vacuum pack?

Me neither. Containing an N2 widget perhaps?
Did they arrive flat, or as a hard vacuum pack?
They are nitrogen purged IIRCC. The bag was only maybe a cm thick when I bought it I kinda want to reach out to Yakima chef, not that I care about any replacement of an oz of hops but I’m genuinely intrigued. Did the organisms on the hops start to break them down? It’s very interesting to me

Can you share your recipe? Visually this is a beauty!
I'll do my best, I'm away this weekend and dont have my notes, so going off memory...
65% 2 row
20% white wheat
10% malted oats
3% carapils
2% honey malt

Simcoe at 60min
10min addition of simcoe, citra, mosaic
Whirlpool at 170 with citra, mosaic, and nectaron.
Dry hop was citra galaxy nectaron.

I can recheck my recipe notes when I get home but that's probably in the ballpark. Also I wouldn't change a thing about this beer, it was absolutely delicious.

Lots of trillium beers are Columbus and another hop. I feel like Vicinity Street is Citra/Columbus
Man I completely forgot about Trillium. What was/is the cutting tiles series? Probably should just google it. That’s probably why I bought the Lupomax, somewhere deep in my brain was the fact that they use Cloumbus often.

Has anyone ever had a Yakima Chief pack swell before? I’ve probably purchased 150-200lbs of hops in my time brewing and I’ve never seen this before….

View attachment 779744View attachment 779745
I’ve only bought YC from the LHBS in Rochester and I’ve never seen that. I’ve always had good luck with YVH. I’d like to see your findings when u open that sucker up.

I'll do my best, I'm away this weekend and dont have my notes, so going off memory...
65% 2 row
20% white wheat
10% malted oats
3% carapils
2% honey malt

Simcoe at 60min
10min addition of simcoe, citra, mosaic
Whirlpool at 170 with citra, mosaic, and nectaron.
Dry hop was citra galaxy nectaron.

I can recheck my recipe notes when I get home but that's probably in the ballpark. Also I wouldn't change a thing about this beer, it was absolutely delicious.
I have yet to mess with nectaron, but may have to spring for some on my next hop order.

Man I completely forgot about Trillium. What was/is the cutting tiles series? Probably should just google it. That’s probably why I bought the Lupomax, somewhere deep in my brain was the fact that they use Cloumbus often.
Cutting tiles is their honey ipa series I believe it’s all single hopped I but I could be wrong there

I’ve only bought YC from the LHBS in Rochester and I’ve never seen that. I’ve always had good luck with YVH. I’d like to see your findings when u open that sucker up.
I plan on opening it and dryhopping a Bretted farmhouse beer with it tonight. Should be updating the thread tonight

Cutting tiles is their honey ipa series I believe it’s all single hopped I but I could be wrong there
Yes it is. All these beers are single hop varieties with raw wildflower honey. I had one several years ago with vic secret. It was a beautiful beer.

Back