New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you’ve got expansions to pay for and a pile of debt during a global Pandemic it becomes a little easier to push stuff out the door you might not be that happy with. Not justifying it but I’d be willing to bet it’s part of the equation.

Customers are constantly expecting more extreme flavors and experiences unfortunately. These beers with all the hop burn are a direct result of that. Just the state of craft beer right now and sadly a lot of these breweries that built their reputations on these “extreme” methods and experiences are stuck and have no way out.
I know Salazar and Other half ended up parting ways since OH didn’t have the capital to build the infrastructure to really get their barrel program up and running because of all the other ventures they were in. I know he easily found a gig somewhere but it’s unfortunate because it would have been awesome to have another big name wild/farmhouse brewer here in NY

I know Salazar and Other half ended up parting ways since OH didn’t have the capital to build the infrastructure to really get their barrel program up and running because of all the other ventures they were in. I know he easily found a gig somewhere but it’s unfortunate because it would have been awesome to have another big name wild/farmhouse brewer here in NY

Yeah or they realized that the sour/mixed ferm market is totally dead right now and they can make way more money much faster selling hazy IPA, kettle sours, and pastry stouts.

Yeah or they realized that the sour/mixed ferm market is totally dead right now and they can make way more money much faster selling hazy IPA, kettle sours, and pastry stouts.
I’m sure that was partly it as well(I don’t think the article mentioned that but def makes sense). I will say in NYS there is def a resurgence in the wild market with the farms brewers license subsidies Suarez and a new brewery, Weaver Hollow, have really strong followings

I just want to throw in a plug for Lupomax Citra. I just carbed up a 7.5% Citra/Mosaic (cliche) IPA and it is soooo fuggin good. Like Treehouse Julius in its prime good. Never had Citra explode out of the glass like this one and I have tried Cryo, YCH, YVH, Farmhouse, and BSG Citra. If I can repeat this brew I may never leave the house again.

I’m sure that was partly it as well(I don’t think the article mentioned that but def makes sense). I will say in NYS there is def a resurgence in the wild market with the farms brewers license subsidies Suarez and a new brewery, Weaver Hollow, have really strong followings

How’s Drowned Lands mixed ferm stuff?

I dont like most of the double dry hop super high lbs per barrel ipa's. Though the mouthfeel is fantastic, they taste oversaturated with one note.
I think the really good breweries have a good grip on what malt bill can support what amount of a specific type of hop.
I read Fluctuation by Equilibrium, is only 3lbs per barrel dry hop!

How’s Drowned Lands mixed ferm stuff?
I’ve actually never had anything from them yet but I seen them being ISO quite a bit in some groups. Idk if you heard of Plan Bee brewing out of NYS’s Hudson Valley but their stuff is great and they capture most of their cultures right from their farm. Their mission is to truly become farm to glass and I can def get behind it. Their venue is really cool and rustic as well. Check them out. Plan Bee Farm Brewery

Citra/Nelson/Amarillo IPA update. This was supposed to be a west coast IPA but never cleared up after gelatin, and definitely has that juicy full mouthfeel despite the sugar, low F.G. and high sulfate. Calculated IBU's are higher than my typical NEIPA but doesn't taste like it. Super ripe mango and papaya on the nose. Pineapple, mango, melon and a hint of white wine in the flavor, a little dank too. Absolutely delicious, one of the best IPAs I've made in a while despite my intentions.

BQd1BQm.jpg

13 lb 2 row
3 lb Vienna
0.5 lb Sugar

0.8 oz Warrior 60 min (35 IBU)
1 oz Citra 10 min (13 IBU)
1 oz Nelson 0 min
1 oz Citra Whirlpool (185 degrees 15 min)
1 oz Nelson Whirlpool (185 degrees 15 min)
1 oz Citra Whirlpool (165 degrees 15 min)
1 oz Nelson Whirlpool (165 degrees 15 min)
2 oz Citra dry hop #1
2 oz Nelson dry hop #1
2 oz Amarillo dry hop #2
2 oz Nelson dry #2

(48 IBU from boil, ~63 IBU with whirlpool)

Imperial House gen 5

Whirlfloc 10 min
Yeast nutrient 10 min

150:50 sulfate:chloride

O.G. = 1.065
F.G. 1.007
ABV = 7.6%

Citra/Nelson/Amarillo IPA update. This was supposed to be a west coast IPA but never cleared up after gelatin, and definitely has that juicy full mouthfeel despite the sugar, low F.G. and high sulfate. Calculated IBU's are higher than my typical NEIPA but doesn't taste like it. Super ripe mango and papaya on the nose. Pineapple, mango, melon and a hint of white wine in the flavor, a little dank too. Absolutely delicious, one of the best IPAs I've made in a while despite my intentions.

View attachment 711039

13 lb 2 row
3 lb Vienna
0.5 lb Sugar

0.8 oz Warrior 60 min (35 IBU)
1 oz Citra 10 min (13 IBU)
1 oz Nelson 0 min
1 oz Citra Whirlpool (185 degrees 15 min)
1 oz Nelson Whirlpool (185 degrees 15 min)
1 oz Citra Whirlpool (165 degrees 15 min)
1 oz Nelson Whirlpool (165 degrees 15 min)
2 oz Citra dry hop #1
2 oz Nelson dry hop #1
2 oz Amarillo dry hop #2
2 oz Nelson dry #2

(48 IBU from boil, ~63 IBU with whirlpool)

Imperial House gen 5

Whirlfloc 10 min
Yeast nutrient 10 min

150:50 sulfate:chloride

O.G. = 1.065
F.G. 1.007
ABV = 7.6%

Nice!! This beer sounds like something Tree House would put out. I find that their beers have this pleasant underlying bitterness that you don't find in many NEIPA's. This type of hybrid IPA is also popular in the Northwest, probably one of my favorite beers of the year is this wet hopped Fields of Green by Fort George, made with all Coleman Ag Citra. Absolutely huge juicy cantaloupe and honeydew, with a drier finish so you can drink one after another.

I just want to throw in a plug for Lupomax Citra. I just carbed up a 7.5% Citra/Mosaic (cliche) IPA and it is soooo fuggin good. Like Treehouse Julius in its prime good. Never had Citra explode out of the glass like this one and I have tried Cryo, YCH, YVH, Farmhouse, and BSG Citra. If I can repeat this brew I may never leave the house again.
Sounds incredible! Seeing as this is a thread about us amateurs making beers like this could you share your recipe details and process keys to what made it so good?!

Sounds incredible! Seeing as this is a thread about us amateurs making beers like this could you share your recipe details and process keys to what made it so good?!
Sure.

4.5 Gallons into fermenter

Grains
4.5 lb Simpsons Golden Promise
4 lb 2 Row
0.75 lb White wheat malt
0.5 lb Crystal 20
0.25 lb carapils

Hops
0.3 oz CTZ at 60 min
0.5 oz Mosaic at 20
0.5 oz Citra at 20
0.5 oz Mosaic at 10
0.5 oz Citra at 10
2oz Mosaic whirlpool at 180F for 30 min
2oz Citra whirlpool at 180F for 30 min
2oz Mosaic DH for 3 days
2oz LupoMax Citra DH for 3 days

Water Profile
175 Cl
125 SO4
80 Ca
60 Na
Target 5.35 mash pH

90 minute mash that starts at 152 and is allowed to drift down (my beers routinely come out better with a >60 minute mash)
1.5 qt starter of WLP007 yeast, decanted
Ferment at 67 degrees liquid temp for three days and then bring temp up to 70 until day 9
Crash in fermentation keg at 45F for 3 days (5 psi of CO2 added to prevent any O2 entry)
Transfer into dryhop keg and DH at 50F for 3 days
Serve/carb at 40F 2.3 vol

I ferment, DH, and serve in corny kegs. The DH keg is purged with fermentation CO2 with the DH sitting in there. I let that purge go for about 50 points to mimic the fermentation purge thread that suggests <5ppb O2 when using this method. Then I disconnect the DH keg and chill it so the dry hops aren't warm for the whole fermentation. The pre DH sample was kind of bland, all the taste came from the DH. I had never really made a habit of tasting pre DH beer but this was eye opening in that I am either wasting a ton of hotside hops or those hops are coating everything in oils in prep for the DH.

Good evening guys, and much love to all of you for all the info in this thread. I've been reading through it for the last 3-4 days. I'm currently trying to brew my first NEIPA using the information I got here. It's on day 4 of fermentation now, started at 65 f and slowly upped it to 70, where it's at now. I'm still learning, so unfortunately, using a grainfather, I got a fair bit of trub in there. I've never cold crashed or soft crashed before for that matter, so a little worried about suckback.
My question is, would it be ok to push some co2 in through the top of the fermenter (thus removing my s airlock) and let go for a the 1-2 days when soft crashing? if so, what PSI should it be set to? Or will this method not work to try to limit oxygen exposure? What are the consequences of not soft crashing it, will it affect more than the color? I just got myself a kegging setup, so it will be my first time doing that too.. So this will be an adventure to say the least.

Latprod - you are wise to be very concerned with cold crashing, transfers and O2 exposure. It should be a primary goal of making this style to dry hop, crash and transfer and serve with the lowest amount of O2 you can manage. How you accomplish these things is dependent on you equipment - can your fermenter hold the pressure you are thinking about using? Then crashing under CO2 pressure is the best option. If it cant hold the pressure you are gonna use you will wind up emptying your whole Co2 tank in the to room.

Next best solution is to do the balloon filled with Co2 thing, requires less pressure in the FV. If you can’t do one of these things I highly recommend skipping any temperature decrease for cold crash (suck back of O2). Just transfer to a keg with the lowest o2 exposure you can and crash the sediment out in the keg (where you CAN provide Co2 positive pressure).
Hope this helps.

Latprod - you are wise to be very concerned with cold crashing, transfers and O2 exposure. It should be a primary goal of making this style to dry hop, crash and transfer and serve with the lowest amount of O2 you can manage. How you accomplish these things is dependent on you equipment - can your fermenter hold the pressure you are thinking about using? Then crashing under CO2 pressure is the best option. If it cant hold the pressure you are gonna use you will wind up emptying your whole Co2 tank in the to room.

Next best solution is to do the balloon filled with Co2 thing, requires less pressure in the FV. If you can’t do one of these things I highly recommend skipping any temperature decrease for cold crash (suck back of O2). Just transfer to a keg with the lowest o2 exposure you can and crash the sediment out in the keg (where you CAN provide Co2 positive pressure).
Hope this helps.

Yes, it does help, thanks. I have no idea about whether it will hold the pressure, so I guess at this time, I will skip the crashing alltogether just to avoid unnecessary complications. Thanks for the feedback !

FYI, or FWIW, I tried Voss for the first time. Major hop burn. Soft crashed to 60 for 48 hours before DHing. DH at 60 for 48 hours. It's literally like eating a hop. Flavor is on point, but there's definitely burn that I haven't experienced since soft crashing before DHing. All Citra. Color is light straw, SUPER hazy. Been kegged for 2 weeks, and it's disappointing. Trying Imperial A24 Dry Hop on Saturday. Same grist.

FYI, or FWIW, I tried Voss for the first time. Major hop burn. Soft crashed to 60 for 48 hours before DHing. DH at 60 for 48 hours. It's literally like eating a hop. Flavor is on point, but there's definitely burn that I haven't experienced since soft crashing before DHing. All Citra. Color is light straw, SUPER hazy. Been kegged for 2 weeks, and it's disappointing. Trying Imperial A24 Dry Hop on Saturday. Same grist.
Interesting, Ive used Voss several times and prefer it over hornidal (the only two kvieks Ive tried), but never got hop burn. But I have been soft crashing to 50 for about 36hrs at 50 prior to warming back up to 60 for DH. While I prefer Voss to hornidal, I LOVE A24 better than either of those Kvieks and A24 is a beast at fermenting too. Im sure you will like A24 better IMO. Its got great esters but not nearly as overpowering as the Kvieks esters can be depending on how hot and pitch rate you used the Kvieks at. A24 is the best of all worlds IMO in that esters are great but still let the hops be the stars.

Interesting, Ive used Voss several times and prefer it over hornidal (the only two kvieks Ive tried), but never got hop burn. But I have been soft crashing to 50 for about 36hrs at 50 prior to warming back up to 60 for DH. While I prefer Voss to hornidal, I LOVE A24 better than either of those Kvieks and A24 is a beast at fermenting too. Im sure you will like A24 better IMO. Its got great esters but not nearly as overpowering as the Kvieks esters can be depending on how hot and pitch rate you used the Kvieks at. A24 is the best of all worlds IMO in that esters are great but still let the hops be the stars.
I've used A24, but not for about a year. Never soft crashed it. Tried Hornindal for a few batches and wasn't super impressed. They say Voss gives off ORANGE, but I don't get much of that. Aroma is great, but it's hop juice. Definite hop burn. Kveik yeasts seem to flocc like crazy for me. Hornindal cleared up a bit, but Voss is the haziest beer I've ever made. It's like milk. My process has much improved since I last used A24, so I'm excited!

Does anyone reuse their A24 rather than buying new packs? I overbuild starters and store some for next time, but I've been noticing that the esters aren't as present after the initial batch. Could it be that one of the two strains in the mix is taking over?

I pitch at 68-70F, then let it ride at 73.

Does anyone reuse their A24 rather than buying new packs? I overbuild starters and store some for next time, but I've been noticing that the esters aren't as present after the initial batch. Could it be that one of the two strains in the mix is taking over?

Think that's the downside of reusing blends. The more dominant strain will always take over.

I haven't re-used it more than maybe 1-2 times and thought it was similar. It might make sense to get a pack of each of the strains and overbuild each for each beer. PITA but worth experimenting.

If you over build your starters, you really should cold crash it for over 96 hours. Then decant. This is the best way to preserve the blend. I go as long as 6/7 days

@HopsAreGood just wanted to update you on the 2020 Riwaka and Nelson. (I believe it was you who mentioned you had a Kane beer with one or both of them and it was coriander like). I have now used them both and get only true character from both of them. The Nelson is phenomenal.

I will say that I bought them both in 2 oz packs.(1.5 lbs of each) and have two different alphas for both of them. I used the 13.1 AA Nelson and 5.4 AA. I’ll update again when I use the other batch of those hops

I asked imperial this same question and they said don’t decant it. My overbuilt starters eventually clear in the fridge, but it takes weeks or months.

I asked imperial this same question and they said don’t decant it. My overbuilt starters eventually clear in the fridge, but it takes weeks or months.
Really?mine drop crystal clear in 6 days (obviously longer than a typical decant time). I also put it in the back right under the compressor which is around 32/33. So maybe that’s why I experience this.

Last edited:
Really?mine drop crystal clear in 6 days (obviously longer than a typical decant time) lager clear. I also put it in the back right under the compressor which is around 32/33
When you say you are decanting with overbuild starters of A24 after about 6 days, are you referring to the overbuild portion you are using for a future batch? I typically overbuild as well, but have been timing them where the overbuild portion just gets stored for future use and the actual starter is put cold for about 24hrs before I pitch. Thanks.

When you say you are decanting with overbuild starters of A24 after about 6 days, are you referring to the overbuild portion you are using for a future batch? I typically overbuild as well, but have been timing them where the overbuild portion just gets stored for future use and the actual starter is put cold for about 24hrs before I pitch. Thanks.
the over build portion only. I don’t decant the the portion I’m pitching. I shake the original pouch and pour it into a measuring cup. I take 1/2 of it for the starter I’ll pitch in a beer and I’ll over build the other half. The one I pitch in the beer I do not decant and pitch while active.

Thanks guys. I never decant these in case of the yeasts hasn't flocced all the way. Dgallo's method sounds like a slightly better method than just me dumping the whole pouch into the first starter. Now if only any of the homebrew stores in Chicagoland sold Imperial yeast...

I'm kicking around the idea of using US05 on my next batch. I couldn't get my hands on any Imperial Juice in time for my next brew day. Anyone make a killer NEIPA using US05? Seems like 05 would come out more bright and crisp.

Thanks guys. I never decant these in case of the yeasts hasn't flocced all the way. Dgallo's method sounds like a slightly better method than just me dumping the whole pouch into the first starter. Now if only any of the homebrew stores in Chicagoland sold Imperial yeast...
Order from great fermentation. They’re out of IN and it’s cold outside so no issues. They have been so busy Recently I can’t imagine you’d get yeast outside of a month or two old.

I'm kicking around the idea of using US05 on my next batch. I couldn't get my hands on any Imperial Juice in time for my next brew day. Anyone make a killer NEIPA using US05? Seems like 05 would come out more bright and crisp.
I do my pales with us-05 and it 100% let’s the hops shine.

@HopsAreGood just wanted to update you on the 2020 Riwaka and Nelson. (I believe it was you who mentioned you had a Kane beer with one or both of them and it was coriander like). I have now used them both and get only true character from both of them. The Nelson is phenomenal.

I will say that I bought them both in 2 oz packs.(1.5 lbs of each) and have two different alphas for both of them. I used the 13.1 AA Nelson and 5.4 AA. I’ll update again when I use the other batch of those hops
Yeah, I have no idea why that Riwaka beer was so weird. Some people really liked it but others got the same strange flavor that I did.

https://untappd.com/b/kane-brewing-company-riwaka-single-hop/3991838
I’ve used a bunch of the 2020 Nelson, all from YVH, and agree it’s really nice. The next beer I’m planning is going to be all Apollo hot side with a 50/50 Nelson/Nectaron DH. I’m going to use the new Omega Sundew yeast as well. Should be interesting.

Really?mine drop crystal clear in 6 days (obviously longer than a typical decant time). I also put it in the back right under the compressor which is around 32/33. So maybe that’s why I experience this.
Mines top shelf but not by the compressor, I’ve seen Things freeze in that zone. Still took more than a week for sure

Ferment in the low 60's and you can pull a lot of peachy notes if you're into that.

I pitch a combination(50/50) of S-05 and S-04 on most of these beers I do and like what it brings.

4 days into a NEIPA using the brand new OYL-401 non-phoenolic. Supposed to taste like strawberries, and the airlock definitely has a strong berry smell. OG 1063. Down to 1018 on day 3. Pitched at 66F, Started at 70F, and brought up to 75 day 3.

Went with a blow off since it climbed the starter flask so much, but ended up not needing it in the CF-5

Citra and Amarillo at flameout.

Plan to soft crash at FG and dry hop with citra/Medusa/galaxy mix at 60F

Will report back on yeast when it’s all done.

A317992A-2EEE-4186-A6E1-B8DB79AAACEC.jpeg

87DAA2E0-5A0D-4E64-84EC-1FD24A0D49D9.jpeg
DD673B60-EBAC-4F55-B503-4D71F35D170C.jpeg

Yeah, I have no idea why that Riwaka beer was so weird. Some people really liked it but others got the same strange flavor that I did.

https://untappd.com/b/kane-brewing-company-riwaka-single-hop/3991838
I’ve used a bunch of the 2020 Nelson, all from YVH, and agree it’s really nice. The next beer I’m planning is going to be all Apollo hot side with a 50/50 Nelson/Nectaron DH. I’m going to use the new Omega Sundew yeast as well. Should be interesting.

I dry hopped an all Motueka Pils with 1.5oz Riwaka and 1.5oz Citra and got the same weird flavor that totally threw me off. Riwaka just took over with this diesely-vanilla type flavor. I'm really hoping it fades with time.

Last edited:
I am currently drinking my first ever brewed Pilsner after 45 batches. This beer is now sitting at around 7 weeks and getting better by the week. This NZ Pils recipe (courtesy of Dgallo) was hopped with 2oz Nelson and 1oz Riwaka all in the boil, no dry hop. Originally the Nelson wine grape flavor dominated, but now the sweet fruit from the Riwaka is coming through. I get a hint of the machine oil/vanilla thing but I find it's pleasant. This is my first ever pilsner as i hate the style because I always find US pils boring, but after brewing this NZ Pils this will likely be a regular on tap.

I'm still blown away by how much the 3oz of hops pop in this beer even after 7 weeks and no dry hop. Makes me wonder how much I have been over doing my NEIPA recipes.

Back