Newbie recipe design, HELP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys!
This is the first recipe i've put together, and i'm interested what you think about it, and I really need some advice!

So, I'm trying to make a stout, all grain with a 5 gallon batch size, BIAB

Grains:
10lbs Pale Malt
2lbs Carapils
1lbs Carafa 3
1lbs Chocholate malt
1lbs Roasted barley

Hops:
Bittering Target
Aroma Fuggles

I'm thinking a 60 minute mash at 154F
I'm really confused with boil times, and when to add the hops
So yeah, thanks for the help in advance, and sorry for my english :)

That's a big stout with 15# of grain. Roasted barley is very strong and meant to be used in small amounts. Carafa III is less flavor with similar color. Carapils offers some body and fermentable sugars.

I would up the base malt by a pound or two and use a half lb of each of the other grains. Oats are always good in a stout recipe. As for the hops, stouts have lower bitterness so a smaller amount (.5oz) would be good at the beginning of the boil with an oz of fuggles around 10 min left before the boil ends. 60 minutes of boil should be plenty. Hope that helps!

That's a big stout with 15# of grain. Roasted barley is very strong and meant to be used in small amounts. Carafa III is less flavor with similar color. Carapils offers some body and fermentable sugars.

I would up the base malt by a pound or two and use a half lb of each of the other grains. Oats are always good in a stout recipe. As for the hops, stouts have lower bitterness so a smaller amount (.5oz) would be good at the beginning of the boil with an oz of fuggles around 10 min left before the boil ends. 60 minutes of boil should be plenty. Hope that helps!
Yeah, thanks, that is super helpfull!

You don't say what type of stout you're aiming for which may help with giving advice. As mentioned above it looks to be a bit big but probably not imperial range, maybe 1.075 or so. I don't think you need the carafa III at all, I would go with something like 1 lb roasted barley and .5-.75 lb of the chocolate. I'd also drop the carapils and swap it out for about .75-1 lb of a medium crystal. Then make up your gravity with base malt, or add some oats or flaked barley. It would be a good idea to plug it into software and decide what gravity and IBU you're targeting. Then you can adjust your bittering addition accordingly with additions like what catdaddy listed.

You don't say what type of stout you're aiming for which may help with giving advice. As mentioned above it looks to be a bit big but probably not imperial range, maybe 1.075 or so. I don't think you need the carafa III at all, I would go with something like 1 lb roasted barley and .5-.75 lb of the chocolate. I'd also drop the carapils and swap it out for about .75-1 lb of a medium crystal. Then make up your gravity with base malt, or add some oats or flaked barley. It would be a good idea to plug it into software and decide what gravity and IBU you're targeting. Then you can adjust your bittering addition accordingly with additions like what catdaddy listed.
Well, i was aiming for a not too heavy stout, but i probably over did it. Okay, this sounds logical, thanks for the help, do you think oats are a good idea for mouth feel?

Back