Anyone tried high sulfates to chloride in a stout or porter? -- General stout water profile discussion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys, this is Mike in Bali Indonesia
Has anyone tried to brew a porter or a stout with a high sulfite to chloride ratio? I'm wondering if there are any good iterations that could be done of it. I've done something like that with around a 3.0 sulfite to chloride as a black IPA. It was drinkable but it ended up with a pretty harsh bitterness. I used a 1/1 IBU to OG and put all the roasted malts in the mash. I would steep the grains and switch most of those hops for late additions next time.

Now I am trying out a banana bread imperial stout with a 0.6 chloride favoring ratio.
Ca 118.2
Mg 18.5
Na 20
Cl 150.1
SO 92.2
Alkalinity 68.7
Residual Alkilinity -26.5

It seems like this should be a good profile. I was just wondering about the possibilities working with a more bitter leaning stout.

Cheers,

High sulfate in beers with dark roasted malts would add a dryness to the beer above and beyond that contributed by the roast malts.

Combine that with the high IBUs and it would not be very pleasant to drink.

High sulfates can work in pale ale style beers but even then some may find it displeasing.

Back