New post a picture of your pint

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday was our baby girl's first birthday, and I couldn't be more proud.... of my first long-term aged mixed fermentation sour beer that I incidentally just tasted for the first time. It's just about perfect, except that it's hazy for some reason. But that ripe red fruit, the snappy acidity mixing with a complex malt sweetness - that's exactly what I was hoping for.

Attachments

• IMG_20220630_202722.jpg
    IMG_20220630_202722.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Yesterday was our baby girl's first birthday, and I couldn't be more proud.... of my first long-term aged mixed fermentation sour beer that I incidentally just tasted for the first time. It's just about perfect, except that it's hazy for some reason. But that ripe red fruit, the snappy acidity mixing with a complex malt sweetness - that's exactly what I was hoping for.
Congrats... on both counts.

Saisons in the Abyss

PXL-20220701-202648256-PORTRAIT.jpg

First Saison I've home brewed, slightly unconventional in both grain bill and hops, and 8.4%

48% Wheat Malt
37% Pilsner
5% Cara Gold
5% Rye Malt
3% Clear Candi Sugar
2% Carawheat

18 IBU CTZ at 30m
6.6 IBU Olicana T45 at 10m
35g Olicana T45 and 30g CF-185 20 minute whirlpool

Mangrove M29 French Saison

It's taken about a month to mellow out properly and is now tasting great. Just starting to lose the farmyard nose.

PXL_20220704_224825820.jpg

Homebrew wheat ale. It started out as a clone of the former Sierra Nevada wheat. I ended up using Voss kveik instead of Chico yeast, dry hopping and forgetting a 1/4 gallon of water. It's more neipa than American wheat, but tasty so far.

0773DC21-6400-4C1D-938D-5375F7F6DF78.jpeg

Hop Butcher: The Jewels

In Chicago on a work trip.

I’m Im on a mission to hit every MLB park. Today, it is Guaranteed Rate Field in Chicago (White Sox). Not the best ballpark, but definitely the best ballpark beer I’ve ever had. Cheers!

Last edited:
Latest batch of hefeweizen. Didn’t go as planned but it’s still pretty good!
What went wrong?

I’m about to transfer my hefe to my serving keg. Smells glorious - I have high hopes.

Three-month-old orange mead. It was still for the first couple of bottles (I made 2 gallons) but the last three have been quite sparkly, so all of them had to go in the fridge to avoid possible bottle bombs. It's sweeter than I intended, but very tasty, and if I do say so myself, absolutely beautiful.

20220708_181646[1].jpg

What went wrong?

I’m about to transfer my hefe to my serving keg. Smells glorious - I have high hopes.
Had low efficiency, lacking a bit in yeast character. I might’ve fermented too low (63 degrees). I also rolled the keg for that first pint and I think I should’ve drawn off the gunk first instead of stirring it up. Lesson learned.

I understand the Germans roll the bottle before pouring it to mix the yeast in. Did you get any off flavor from doing it?
That’s how I’ve always drank it as well. I think I should’ve drawn a pint of mostly gunk first, then rolled what remained. I think I was too focused on keeping all the yeast and drawing some extra up when I kegged. It had a yeasty flavor - left my stomach feeling like it does when I take a multivitamin without eating.

That’s how I’ve always drank it as well. I think I should’ve drawn a pint of mostly gunk first, then rolled what remained. I think I was too focused on keeping all the yeast and drawing some extra up when I kegged. It had a yeasty flavor - left my stomach feeling like it does when I take a multivitamin without eating.

That does look mighty cloudy, but a lot of that might be the wheat. I usually find that bottled homebrew contains too much yeast sediment and some should be discarded. Plus you need to swirl or roll the bottles (between your hands) quite vigorously to avoid any larger chunks.
Some breweries use a dedicated powdery yeast strain for bottle conditioning for that purpose.

After two months of lagering, I tapped my first lager: Groß Dunkel Gutausseh Munich Dunkel. You can't see the crystal clarity from this picture, but it's beautiful. So smooth and tons of malt.

View attachment 774649

As a German, that title made me laugh out loud. Wonderful, just wonderful! How did you come up with that?!

Typing those words into google led me to a book titled "Tagebuch von Mr. Groß, Dunkel & Gutaussehend" ("the diary of Mr tall, dark & handsome"), a book for girls aged 8-12. Not sure if that was the source of inspiration, though. Being tall, dark and average-looking myself, I can vaguely relate.

As a German, that title made me laugh out loud. Wonderful, just wonderful! How did you come up with that?!

Typing those words into google led me to a book titled "Tagebuch von Mr. Groß, Dunkel & Gutaussehend" ("the diary of Mr tall, dark & handsome"), a book for girls aged 8-12. Not sure if that was the source of inspiration, though. Being tall, dark and average-looking myself, I can vaguely relate.
"Tall, Dark, & Handsome" is an American saying, used to describe women's concept of the ideal man. I wanted to use "dunkel" somewhere in the name, so I started thinking of phrases using the word "dark" and plugging them into Google Translate. I've always heard that David Hasselhoff is big in Germany, so the picture seemed appropriate.

Being of Irish descent, I am short, pale, and average-looking, so maybe I'm living vicariously through my beers.

Most recent Double NEIPA at 8.5% with NZ Cascade and Motueka on the hotside and Dryhopped with Motueka, Citra LUPOMAX, Wai-iti, and a touch of nelson. This might be my favorite NEIPA I’ve brewed yet.
E5F09633-794B-4AC9-A775-97E513649683.jpeg

that's what I was thinking. Was going to brew a lemon drop pilsner this summer but this may change my mind.
I don't have a pic - brought keg to a get together and it kicked so fast. I brewed the "west coast" pilsner with Hallertau in the boil and Citra at FO and dry hopped. Everyone loved it. Will be doing this again.

I think your beer looks great.
However I don’t think your cat is a fan of the Hazy.
First, I don't think thats a cat...its a bobcat. second, the bobcat is starring down @Dgallo saying "stay away from my beer bro or I'll rip your face off!" lol

EDIT: or he/she is pissed because "its not enough nelson dude!"

Back