Need a substitute for London Ale III aka Boddinton's yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not sure what happened. Sickly sweet tasting. I keg carbonated 3 gallons with about 1/5th cup white cane sugar. It carbonated but it's not drinkable.

I'll put it back at 70F or so just in case fermentation stopped for some reason before fermenting out but not very hopeful.
Ah, shame. Boddies was very dry of course, and bitter. But didn't it finish at 1004? Wouldn't explain sweetness.

I'm currently drinking a version of the 1980 recipe from Ron's blog, but I used some carawheat as well as pale malt and some DME. Bram X and Goldings. Split batch, M44 and S-33 in half, M44 and Verdant in the other. It's come out very well this one.

What is this high performance yeast of which you speak? Why mash high? Sweeter, no?

My first try finished at 1004. This was my second try so I mashed a bit higher but didn't actually record the FG. My bad. I'm hoping that bringing up the temperature to 70F or so will restart fermentation and eat up any of the sugar causing the sweetness. Since I have about 10# of DME in stock, and should start priming the keg with that instead of white sugar.

I mash high for mouth feel as I typically do 1040 OG or lower brews.

There is a new Nottingham High Performance yeast. I assume this is a Notty mutation that ferments a few points higher than the "regular" Nottybut otherwise has the same profile.

My first try finished at 1004. This was my second try so I mashed a bit higher but didn't actually record the FG. My bad. I'm hoping that bringing up the temperature to 70F or so will restart fermentation and eat up any of the sugar causing the sweetness. Since I have about 10# of DME in stock, and should start priming the keg with that instead of white sugar.

I mash high for mouth feel as I typically do 1040 OG or lower brews.

There is a new Nottingham High Performance yeast. I assume this is a Notty mutation that ferments a few points higher than the "regular" Nottybut otherwise has the same profile.
Ok thanks. Bodds, of course, defies the rules a bit by having high attenuation with a low OG.

Are we sure the high performance Nottingham is different? I assumed it was just a branding thing, and the yeast hasn't changed?

Back