Wyeast London Ale III vs Lallemand Verdant yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeFallopian

Reaction score
I was planning a few brews with wyeast London Ale III, and was wondering if anyone has compared Lallemand's Verdant yeast alongside it.

I'm aware that this is a dry version of London Ale III (be it a mutation or not), just wondering if anyone has compared the two for performance, ester production, etc. If very similar, I might be tempted to go with the Verdant for convenience of dry yeast, ease of storage, etc.

Thanks!

Verdant imho is the best dry yeast you can get. I don’t like any other dry yeast, but verdant is easy to use and has great character. I love it for English ales.

I’ve used many other English ale strains over the years and apart from 1469, this one is awesome

I was planning a few brews with wyeast London Ale III, and was wondering if anyone has compared Lallemand's Verdant yeast alongside it.

I'm aware that this is a dry version of London Ale III (be it a mutation or not), just wondering if anyone has compared the two for performance, ester production, etc. If very similar, I might be tempted to go with the Verdant for convenience of dry yeast, ease of storage, etc.

Thanks!
I've used both quite extensively. In terms of fermentation behaviour and performance I would describe them as identical. They attenuate to the same predictable level, they both form an enormous krausen unless fermented under pressure, they both perform very well when fermented under pressure, they both can handle up to 24C (75F) without off flavour production (though will be more characterful when hotter), and can handle even more temperature when fermented under pressure. They both flocculate hard when cooled.

In terms of flavour, they are very similar. I would describe London III as a little more neutral, with an ester profile of sweet peach and hedgerow berries, whereas Verdant is closer to sweet apricot and vanilla yoghurt. Those might sound worlds apart, but they're far more similar than they are different. They both leave the beer with a full body, regardless of finishing gravity, and an accent of sweetness regardless of residual sugar.

I wouldn't hesitate to use Verdant in place of LA3.

Latest posts

Back