Necessary contact time for flame out hop additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imp81318

Reaction score
I plan to make a hop spider for my next brew day to reduce trub I have to filter/screen out before transferring to fermenter. I also use an immersion chiller, which I typically add at or shortly before flame out. So, my question is if I add hops at flame out, how long do I have to wait before pulling the hops out to add the wort chiller?

The same amount of time you would do it without the easy option of removing a hop spider, from the moment you turn off the heat, right through the length of time it takes to chill the wort down to pitching temperature and you rack it to a fermenter.

I use one, and basically, I add the last hop addition, turn flame off, start chilling, and when cool, and just before I rack to my primary I pull out the spider. I'm usually cleaning and whatever while my wort's cooling so I don't really pay attention to how long it takes.... anywhere from 20 minutes to 40 maybe depending on temp of ground water?

Back