Hop spider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy Brew

Reaction score
I have an Anvil Foundry 10.5 brewing system and I use a hop spider to add my hops my question is after the boil do I leave the hop spider in while chilling or remove it after the boil. Gets confusing when you have a zero minute hop addition. I have been leaving the hop spider in the whole time thinking that if you add hops directly they stay in the wort the whole time so that is why I leave my spider in through the chilling process.

I leave mine in when using it, because without it, the hops stay in and that’s what my favourite recipes are based on. You have a choice, though. Remove it or don’t. Does it make a noticeable difference? I don’t know.

I have an Anvil Foundry 10.5 brewing system and I use a hop spider to add my hops my question is after the boil do I leave the hop spider in while chilling or remove it after the boil. Gets confusing when you have a zero minute hop addition. I have been leaving the hop spider in the whole time thinking that if you add hops directly they stay in the wort the whole time so that is why I leave my spider in through the chilling process.

I had this exact same question - how long does 0 min hop addition stay? I cut the heat, add my zero minute hop addition and let it sit for 10 mins. Takes spider out and chill

I use a spider and take it out when whirlpool hops are finished (WP IPAs from 170 to 160 for 10-15 min). Then chill and hang the spider above the kettle to drain. Draining is when I take a sample for OG test.

I also use the spider when transferring wort from the MT to the BK. It catches the little bits that make it through the grain bed since I stir the mash often. Cheers!

Back