Flame-Out Hops Addition and Hop Socks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

landmissle

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've have around seven (7) brew sessions under my belt doing full-boil extract based recipes. When I add my hops, I put them in a hop sock and let them steep the stated time (viz. 60 minutes, 30 minutes, etc..). When the boil time is complete ( usually 60 minutes), I remove the hop socks, cool the wort, and then pour it into my carboy.

My question is with a hop addition specified as flame-out, I assume I can't put the hops in a hop sock at all and just throw the hops into the wort after removing the kettle from the flame. Is that correct?

Also, just to check on my process. As mentioned, I remove the hops (and socks) at the end of boil and before cooling the wort with a chiller. Should I instead be leaving the hops ( and socks) in the wort as it cools too? I'm thinking not, but just want to confirm.

Thanks for any advice!

Boiling for 30-60 minutes, there's not much left, so if it more convenient, you can pull it out, most people, just leave them in until the end, when all is drained out of the kettle.

As to the question of flame out hops, when you turn off the flame, in go the hops. You could use a sack for them as well but you will get better utilization letting them "free swim".

FWIW- You will also get better utilization if you just avoid using a hop sack entirely.

Like other hedonistic pleasures, I find my beer is best not confining the hops. Also like those other pleasures, it will be messier, but I accept that up front and worry about cleaning it up later.
The worst hop-layer I've had in my fermenter was still only a fraction of the other trub and in some brews, i suspect I may have lost out a bit of flavour by filtering them.
and then pour it into my carboy.
..makes it sound to me like you're brewing in a stove-top pot and then lifting it and pouring through a funnel into your fermenter. If that is the case then you have absolutely no reason to not forgo the sock and throw them in freely, just make sure and have sieve over your funnel.

..makes it sound to me like you're brewing in a stove-top pot and then lifting it and pouring through a funnel into your fermenter
I am boiling on the stove-top, but perhaps I chose my verb badly. I actually have a spigot on the kettle and 'drain' the wort into the carboy via a hose.

I use the hop socks because it seems like it reduces the amount of loose material at the bottom of the kettle.

Back