Messed up malt addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billyf111

Reaction score
I brewed today and am wondering what the outcome will be.

Brewed an extract recipe that I have made before. It has a 3# LME addition at the begging of the boil. Bring back to a boil then add some hops.

The next step is a hop addition and 3 more pounds of LME added with 10 minutes left.

Everything went great. Except I forgot to add the second 3#'s of LME and didn't realize it until I began to chill the wort. The wort got down to around the 180-190 range before I realized. I then put it back onto the burner and added the three forgotten pounds of LME.

I did not bring it back up to a full boil. The wort was still warm enough to dissolve and mix in the LME.

Still hit my OG perfect. I was wondering if I am risking any infections or other side effects because of this mistake.

Any ideas on how this batch might differ from the last time I made it?

You may run a small risk of infection, but I would not be worried at all. I think the timing of putting lme in after flameout will affect color but not taste(I'm pretty sure but still wouldn't worry)

Nothing to worry about, the wort was still hot enough to avoid infection. The main difference will be a lighter color but I'll assume that's what you'd like, taste should be the same assuming the rest of your process moving forward is the same including and importantly fermentation temps and yeast strain

I add my LME (if using) to my wort at "flame out" when the flame is turned off and the wort is still hot. LME doesn't need to boil- just pasteurizing it at 160 or above should be fine!

Back