Men: Getting snipped. Yay or nay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wife dropped the V bomb this morning. She's having a major surgery in August, and the doc wants her off the pill. So a Friday procedure, and a ton of beers, and ice? I can do dat.

Kind of hard to argue against it when you see them go through the ravages of pregnancy/labor; or in this case a major surgery. On that scale, a routine vasectomy doesn't even register...

Kind of hard to argue against it when you see them go through the ravages of pregnancy/labor; or in this case a major surgery. On that scale, a routine vasectomy doesn't even register...

Absolutely. We've been kicking the idea around for like five years now, when she was pregnant with the boy.

I will say the procedure was pretty insane. Felt like an alien laying on table being experimented on. When the doc started cutting I found out that I have a higher tolerance to Novocain then most people. Ouch! I do enjoy the benefits but would I go through that again. Probably not.

Me too. All during childhood if I had to have dental work done, the dentist is like "there's no way it hurts as much as he's acting like it does". And I've hated dentists ever since.

A few years back, I had to get a crown. Dentist keeps injecting me with Novocaine and gets to work. I tell him it still hurts. He injects more. It still hurts. He injects more. Hey, that's not so bad!

It turns out I'm right. I have an abnormally high tolerance for Novocaine. And my childhood dentist was a sadist.

Me too. All during childhood if I had to have dental work done, the dentist is like "there's no way it hurts as much as he's acting like it does". And I've hated dentists ever since.

A few years back, I had to get a crown. Dentist keeps injecting me with Novocaine and gets to work. I tell him it still hurts. He injects more. It still hurts. He injects more. Hey, that's not so bad!

It turns out I'm right. I have an abnormally high tolerance for Novocaine. And my childhood dentist was a sadist.

Know the difference between a dentist & a sadist?

A sadist has newer magazines.

2 weeks post op and nearly back to normal. Incisions pretty much healed. A little testicular tenderness and they're still slightly swollen. Gotta be careful when getting in and out of the car. Overall not horrible.

2 weeks post op and nearly back to normal. Incisions pretty much healed. A little testicular tenderness and they're still slightly swollen. Gotta be careful when getting in and out of the car. Overall not horrible.

Ouch. That hurts just reading it. Hope you've had a chance to rip one off.

So here are all the gory details. I didn't get much sleep Thursday night due to nerves. My appointment was for 9:45 am but I'd been warned that this doctor tends to run ahead of schedule. The receptionist had asked me to be there by 9:00 at the latest. So yesterday morning, I had a small bowl of cereal around 7:30, then popped the Valium at 8:10 and headed off to the doctor's office (about a 25 minute drive). From experience, I knew that drugs like Advil take at least an hour to kick in, so my biggest fear was that the Valium wouldn't be working by the time I got there. Turns out that fear was unfounded. Within 15 minutes of popping, my legs felt like rubber, everything seemed to be moving more slowly, and my "give a f***" meter dropped back into the green.

We got there around 8:50 am. I checked in with the receptionist, gave her my health insurance info, and sat down to wait. Within 5 minutes, she called me into the room. The doctor told me to drop my pants and undies to my knees and lie down on the table. He hit me with the air-inject numbing agent or whatever it was (no needle) 3-4 times, then diddled on his computer for 30 seconds or so waiting for it to kick in. He then got to work. He had a big flexible tube on the wall like a dryer vent that was apparently a vacuum for the smoke as he cauterized each vas deferens. Then he applied some glue to seal the tiny punctures he'd made, and sent me on my way. I was in that room with him for MAYBE 10 minutes, tops, counting the waiting for the anesthesia to kick in and the glue to dry.

I had to wait in the waiting room for 15 minutes before I was allowed to leave, but then I was back home, where I took it easy for the rest of the day. So far, no pain, just a very slight, dull ache. No swelling, no bleeding. So far, so good, but I'm not pressing my luck. I'm going to continue to avoid lifting anything heavy, or moving too quickly.

I may regret saying this, but I can't believe how easy this has been so far.

@kombat Welcome to the snipped club. :mug:
Thanks for the detailed write up for those thinking of joining us. Each procedure and experience are going to be a little different. Glad it's going well so far and keep the boys iced.

36 hours post-op, everything still feels remarkably great. Haven't taken any post-op drugs Just a bunch of beer. The procedure itself was incredibly trivial.

Pass. I keep all my plumbing intact unless medically necessary to remove.

Until you clear out the pipes, you may need those. Don't give 'em away just yet!

Understandable. Have fun messing with condoms for the rest of your life. I've still got a couple of boxes I won't be needing anymore if you need some. :)

Don't need to do that either. Suckers...

5 days out, still no swelling or bruising. If it wasn't for the glue the doc used to seal the incisions, you'd never know anything happened down there.

Me and the Feyonce have been talking about getting me neutered for a while.
Neither of us want kids, and I'd like to get it done before she changes her mind on that point.

It appears I may have procrastinated too long on this. The now-wife is increasingly talking about maybe having a kiddo or two after all.

God damn my cowardice. He who hesitates is lost.

We are more than sperm donors !

A man has the right to make that choice.

Pardon my distraction from the topic at hand :) butt since we're already talking about parts down under

I had my third hernia repair and the day after I was released my appendicitis decided he wanted out too.

So there I am with eight one inch cuts in my belly and willy aint happy 2mos later he's still laying around and one of the boys seems to be getting a 56 year growing spurt so we wake willy up and he won't even look at me keeps staring off to the left

Wife got me Dr appointment its a new guy (I didn't get to keep my Dr) so I call him (he sounds russian) we go over some of the finer points and he says bring me a pic no not photo ID and not sleeping so my question is

Wood direct lighting be appropriate?

I feel dirty laughing at that.

:D

00d.jpg

Wow... that's .. uh... that's a lot of information. :)

6 days out for me, no longer wearing the supportive jock strap. Never had any bleeding/swelling/pain. Still a very faint hint of an ache, almost like a slight cramp. I'm considering taking it for a "test drive" this weekend to see how everything works (doc said no activity for at least 7 days). It'd be nice to shave again too, things are starting to itch.

Wow... that's .. uh... that's a lot of information. :)

6 days out for me, no longer wearing the supportive jock strap. Never had any bleeding/swelling/pain. Still a very faint hint of an ache, almost like a slight cramp. I'm considering taking it for a "test drive" this weekend to see how everything works (doc said no activity for at least 7 days). It'd be nice to shave again too, things are starting to itch.

The itch is from the shaving.

I may regret saying this, but I can't believe how easy this has been so far.
Ahhh, the no-needle/no-scalpel procedure is awesome. Had it done over a year ago. I was back to running and mostly normal activities the day after the procedure.

I'm a urologist and do these things day and in and day out. I'm just here to say that the "no needle no scalpel" thing is a bit of a gimmick. It's really the same procedure, just done with different instruments. Much more important is the competence of the doc doing it and your particular anatomy (it's amazing how anatomy differs from patient to patient - thickness of the skin, size of the vas, proximity to blood vessels, etc). So don't let that be the deciding factor. Choose a doc who does at least 50 of them a year, preferably a urologist but a busy family doc who does them a lot of them could be just as good.

SWMBO had her tubes tied after daughter #2 was born, per doctor's orders. "Having any more babies would be too much of a strain on your heart." he tells her. Anyhow...Earlier last year, SWMBO and I were suspecting she might be pregnant again (morning sickness, fatigue, all that stuff), so the hospital did an ultrasound and told us 'Congrats, you're having twins!" I'm going...."How the hell did this happen?! My wife had her tubes tied!" So....long story short, there was some discussion about me getting Ping and Pong snipped, and I was understandably apprehensive about the whole prospect. Then, out of the blue, we get a letter from the hospital on official letterhead, apologizing for, and I quote..."giving you the wrong ultrasound pictures. Upon further review, we have discovered that there is no visible indication of pregnancy, and previous blood work confirms this as well." After SWMBO talked me out of wanting to go up to the hospital and planting my size 11 boot up somebody's ass, I was actually quite relieved at not having to go under the knife after all.

I had it done 4 yrs ago. I was thinking about it for a while but was always nervous. I ended up getting testicle cancer and they had to do an Inguinal Orchiectomy (take my ball out). So, I asked my Dr if he could snip the other one. I was lucky, I had it all done while out cold. The next day I iced it and 3 days later I was almost fully working out again. Nothing strenuous, but I felt fine. Oh, 1 child and that is all we wanted!

SWMBO had her tubes tied after daughter #2 was born, per doctor's orders. "Having any more babies would be too much of a strain on your heart." he tells her. Anyhow...Earlier last year, SWMBO and I were suspecting she might be pregnant again (morning sickness, fatigue, all that stuff), so the hospital did an ultrasound and told us 'Congrats, you're having twins!" I'm going...."How the hell did this happen?! My wife had her tubes tied!" So....long story short, there was some discussion about me getting Ping and Pong snipped, and I was understandably apprehensive about the whole prospect. Then, out of the blue, we get a letter from the hospital on official letterhead, apologizing for, and I quote..."giving you the wrong ultrasound pictures. Upon further review, we have discovered that there is no visible indication of pregnancy, and previous blood work confirms this as well." After SWMBO talked me out of wanting to go up to the hospital and planting my size 11 boot up somebody's ass, I was actually quite relieved at not having to go under the knife after all.

Glad to hear your wife won't have to endure something that could be bad for her heart. What a relief! The news of twins itself would've put a strain on MY heart, had I been in your shoes. Yikes.

I'm a urologist and do these things day and in and day out. I'm just here to say that the "no needle no scalpel" thing is a bit of a gimmick. It's really the same procedure, just done with different instruments. Much more important is the competence of the doc doing it and your particular anatomy (it's amazing how anatomy differs from patient to patient - thickness of the skin, size of the vas, proximity to blood vessels, etc). So don't let that be the deciding factor. Choose a doc who does at least 50 of them a year, preferably a urologist but a busy family doc who does them a lot of them could be just as good.

So what's your take on the "spontaneous reversals"? I'm still a bit paranoid sometimes about a late reversal, after going through my procedure -no needle/scapel, and IIRC, cautery on both ends of both tubes, Fascial interposition. Zero swimmers on first followup, zero a year later. Am I nuts (pardon the term) for worrying?

Haha @iijakii. I think you snapped a pic of me at the dr this morning.

Had mine done today. Resting at home with frozen peas and plenty of snacks. The procedure went well. I got light headed and thought I might faint afterward. 10 minutes and some apple juice later I was good as new. I'm sore for sure, took a nap earlier and a pain pill just now.

It's incredibly rare and I can't fully explain it. Last I looked, they estimated a 1 in 2000 chance. Most docs are using pretty standard techniques... I do titanium clips, remove a segment, and cauterize the ends. Others do fascism interposition and ties instead of clips. I think as long as it's done right, with any of the above methods, it's absolutely the most effective (practical) form of birth control. Again I don't really get how "recanalization" happens, I think it's just horrible horrible luck. It's happened to patients of some docs that I know do great vasectomies, so it has nothing to do with inexperience. Of course, a sample has to be submitted 6-8 weeks after the vasectomy to make sure the swimmers are gone in the first place...

My doc was bold enough to say that if someone isn't shooting blanks the doc didn't do it right; if a section is removed and the ends cauterized there's no chance. He told me the few cases he's been involved with (both studying and as the practitioner) it was due to not clearing the pipes/waiting.

My doc said he had his first failure recently. At first he wasn't pumped about it but he figured it may give patients a little more motivation to do the follow-up checks. I've heard enough horror stories lately and we've got a houseful already. I'll be doing everything by the book.

Latest posts

Back