Men: Getting snipped. Yay or nay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well i got fixed on Friday.. it wasn't all that bad.. i never took any of the pain medicine they gave me and the pain is only mild discomfort. The killer is my wife kicked me out of the house for the weekend.

We had talked about it once before after my consultation appointment and she was not totally on-board and so after some debating i told her that i wouldn't schedule the procedure because I dont want a rift in our marriage. A couple weeks after that she seemed to be cool about it and said she would schedule it so she set the date, and kept saying "i understand the logic, and it makes sense to have it done since we have 3 kids already. I just dont like that i will lose the choice to have more if i want more in the future". She also said things like "I will be an ******* the day of it but i will eventually get over it".

well I had it done and the minute we got home she kicked me out and i spent the weekend at my dads house. she finally started talking to me and basically saying stuff like she cant believe i did it, and shell never forgive me etc. It even got to the point she is considering leaving me.

WTF?

Just tell her "MY BODY, MY CHOICE."

If she argues with that then she's not worth keeping anyway.

well i got fixed on Friday.. it wasn't all that bad.. i never took any of the pain medicine they gave me and the pain is only mild discomfort. The killer is my wife kicked me out of the house for the weekend.

We had talked about it once before after my consultation appointment and she was not totally on-board and so after some debating i told her that i wouldn't schedule the procedure because I dont want a rift in our marriage. A couple weeks after that she seemed to be cool about it and said she would schedule it so she set the date, and kept saying "i understand the logic, and it makes sense to have it done since we have 3 kids already. I just dont like that i will lose the choice to have more if i want more in the future". She also said things like "I will be an ******* the day of it but i will eventually get over it".

well I had it done and the minute we got home she kicked me out and i spent the weekend at my dads house. she finally started talking to me and basically saying stuff like she cant believe i did it, and shell never forgive me etc. It even got to the point she is considering leaving me.

WTF?

War on men!!!

*ragrets

No-RAgrets-Tattoo-BIG.jpg

Ugh, every time I almost completely forget that I have to call and schedule my appointment, this stupid thread pops up.

I need to work it in a "talk" here at some point.

The last time I tried, I was mid-sentence about two words away from "vasectomy" when she got a call to let her know the dog had terminal lymphoma.

Had it done about nine years ago while in the Navy post deployment med hold (nothing serious). Two great docs, one a woman (learning). It felt funny with a towel (drape?) with a hole in the middle, bald plumbing hanging out, discolored due to pre-surgical scrub (povidone?). Procedure went smoothly, although I felt funny with people handling my junk, but not for fun. A little post-op pain, but nothing too serious. They gave me pain meds (Tylenol III?) that were stronger than what I got for my rotator cuff surgery. I did it for two, well three reasons. 1) We were done having kids.
2) My wife had a really big problem remembering to take those huge birth control pills every day, so last minute, she'd inform me we had to switch to an alternate plan (which didn't involve oral or the back door).
3) The price.
In retrospect, it was the best option.

Nay!!! What if you need to procreate again!?!?

I had the procedure done way back in 1999 after my son turned 5. It was the best way to go at the time. We didn't want anymore kids. It was painless, cost me $5 copay, and missed one day of work. So to the question above...... I divorced in 2010, met my current wife the same year, and after a lengthy talk (months/year), we decided in 2014 to have a reversal done. After a few dollars spent (still one of the cheapest) I am now fertile again, and we are trying for a child. :ban:

Consult tomorrow. 2 kids and don't want more. Love the ones I've got but 2 is enough for us. Wife is totally on board. I'd prefer to just get it done in one visit vs consult+surgery. Wasting my time.

Consult tomorrow. 2 kids and don't want more. Love the ones I've got but 2 is enough for us. Wife is totally on board. I'd prefer to just get it done in one visit vs consult+surgery. Wasting my time.

Yep, mine will be a one-visit deal. My "consult" will involve me chatting with the doc for 5 minutes before he gets down to business. I'm scheduled for March 18, and I've never even met the doc yet. I'll meet him for the first time on the day of the procedure.

Yeah, I wish I could have done the one-day thing as well. But no, even if there's no mandatory cooling off period to buy a gun, there's one to convert your own to shooting blanks.

That's the other part I'm nervous about. I've heard accounts from guys who've had it done that the first time they went for a test-drive after the procedure, they experienced excruciating shooting pain that made them gun-shy for several weeks afterward. I'm unsure how long I should wait afterwards before even trying, but I'm thinking at least 2 weeks.

I had it done, oh, 20 years ago or so ... procedure went fine, I vaguely remember dull ache and using frozen veggie packs on the area for the weekend, but nothing bad, don't think I even took any pain meds (I usually don't).....we had our 2 kids, talked about it, and we agreed it was the best option (to not have more kids) ...condoms are a pita (not literally ;) ) my wife was on birth control pills (which she figured out seemed to be the cause of her getting migraines while out in the sun....go figure...no more pills, no more migraines...but they worked well - both of our kids were "planned," no surprises and life has been great!!! THE BEST part of the deal, at that time, the doc I went to charged $900 and some odd dollars, and her insurance only covered half the cost....when they sent us the bill for the balance, they had waived the remainder, so the cost was $0, other than a lil discomfort for a couple days and my fertility. A great procedure if one is truly convinced they either want no children or want no more children.

My wife is more than "on-board," she reminds me all the time that I need to schedule an appointment to get snipped. I honestly do forget to call my doc to get the process started but part of me is afraid. They're my balls, after all...

That's the other part I'm nervous about. I've heard accounts from guys who've had it done that the first time they went for a test-drive after the procedure, they experienced excruciating shooting pain that made them gun-shy for several weeks afterward. I'm unsure how long I should wait afterwards before even trying, but I'm thinking at least 2 weeks.

Meh. Next day for me. I'm not suggesting this is the "proper" time to start emptying the chamber, so consult your doctor. I did get a shooting sensation, but I don't think I could describe it as "pain"...

There was a fair amount of discomfort for more than 2 weeks afterwards, but it slowly went away. YMMV.

I have a unique situation brewing now.

My next kid is due in late April... So I really need to get it over with before then.

However, I have a big Kendo tournament that I'm training hard for happening on March 12.

I'm nervous if I get it done and anything goes south, I won't be able to train well or possibly even compete.

Everyone says it's no big deal, so I'm probably making a mountain out of spilled milk, but it would be devastating if I missed it or was not 100% by then.

If you dont want to take a week off of training then get it done after the tournament. Plenty of time after that yet before the babby comes.

I have a unique situation brewing now.

My next kid is due in late April... So I really need to get it over with before then.

However, I have a big Kendo tournament that I'm training hard for happening on March 12.

I'm nervous if I get it done and anything goes south, I won't be able to train well or possibly even compete.

Everyone says it's no big deal, so I'm probably making a mountain out of spilled milk, but it would be devastating if I missed it or was not 100% by then.

No rush. I got mine about a month before my third kid was born. Schedule it shortly after the Kendo tourney.

After all, that gives you the time before the birth plus the six weeks afterwards that your wife won't let you near her to "empty the chamber"...

A week wouldn't be a deal breaker, I'm thinking multiple weeks. Anyone lift or do high impact sports or generally active?

People say 'yeah I was back at 100% within a week!'

And I'm thinking, yeah... And you sit at a desk all day and watch TV all night, your 100 isn't even my 10.

Not to anyone in this thread in particular, just would like to know how it affected those types of activities and for how long.

My memory is kind of fuzzy on mine now, but I recall being able to jog maybe two weeks after? The first week was definitely out, not sure if that second week I was good or took until the end of it. I know I wore the jock for 3 or 4 days and then it took a few more without before I was back to normal.

I'd wait. There's no rush for you. Do it after your tournie.

I would put the chance that you would be 100% in that much time at about "Real Slim". Do the tournament and then do the surgery. The average physical exertion is nowhere near the amount you will be performing at that tournament.

Well, I can honestly say that I was back to normal, well, in about 8 hours. No joke.

No frozen peas, no pain, no bleeding, no swelling, no drugs (other than sleeping off the valium I took that morning and the two beers I had for lunch after the procedure). Worked out the next day without issue - that's 45 minutes on the treadmill and a full run of the machines at the gym (no squats, but 200+ lb leg presses). Volleyball a few days later without any problems, so lots of jumping and a bit of diving.

Find someone who can do the "no needle, no scalpel" procedure. The anesthetic feels a bit like a snapped rubberband, and thats about it. Given some of the horror stories I've heard, I was not thrilled, but knowing what I know now, I wouldnt think twice about it.

Did the no needle, no scalpel method a few years ago. Slight discomfort during the procedure for all of 15 seconds or so. No real recovery time, no ice, could have gone right back to work but I took the day off anyway.

I highly recommend it if you are done breeding or if you can't stand children.

Find someone who can do the "no needle, no scalpel" procedure. .

“No-Needle, No-Scalpel Vasectomy”

Then, the vas is severed using “thermo-cautery,” which is a device with a heated metallic tip, rather than a sharp scalpel.

:eek:

It may hurt less. It doesn't sound any better.

Wife is hinting I should do this.

My wife is more than "on-board," she reminds me all the time that I need to schedule an appointment to get snipped. I honestly do forget to call my doc to get the process started but part of me is afraid. They're my balls, after all...

I'm in the same boat.

My wife went in yesterday for her "annual violation," as she calls it. The doc removed her IUD (it was time), and my wife wanted to go back onto Depo, but the doctor wants her to consider other options. My wife was previously on Depo for 7 years, and now they're recommending you only be on it for 2 years. So the doc is going to come up with some options for her and get back to her in a week.

In the meantime, she's not on any birth control at all. And I'm still a little over 2 weeks away from my "snip." I can't wait to get it over with.

“No-Needle, No-Scalpel Vasectomy”

Then, the vas is severed using “thermo-cautery,” which is a device with a heated metallic tip, rather than a sharp scalpel.

:eek:

It may hurt less. It doesn't sound any better.

Wife is hinting I should do this.

I had this done. Doctor bragged about never having to use a suture, and when one of my tiny incisions kept bleeding he used the cauterizer to stop it. And I got to take that thing home! It was battery powered and disposable. I should take it out and see if the battery is still good. Never know when you are going to have to cut off your arm and staunch the blood flow!

Apparently, my doc uses some sort of "liquid bandage" to seal the holes. The holes are tiny anyway, and the liquid bandage is supposed to flake off in the shower after a couple of days, and by then, the holes should be sealed.

Back