Make IPA Clear Again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would wager that without Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (side note, I'm curious who else grew up with Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles besides me, I blame Maggie, rot in hell), pepperoni pizza wouldn't have the cultural significance that it does.
I'm in my 50s....

I think all other major cities pepperoni was the thing. I've been told Chicago was the exception. The largest amount of sausage pizza is sold in Chicago. It's supposedly because of the very large Italian population. Not that New York wasn't either. Not sure why that's the case.

I particularly like pepperoni and anchovies.

I would wager that without Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (side note, I'm curious who else grew up with Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles besides me, I blame Maggie, rot in hell), pepperoni pizza wouldn't have the cultural significance that it does.
I recall seeing something like this somewhere. The first frozen pizza was produced in the 50s (when frozen dinner was the thing) by some company in Minnesota. Now, Hormel in Minnesota was the main producer of pepperoni, for which they just couldn't find a market. Not too many dots to connect, sliced pepperoni went on the first nationally marketed frozen pizza, and so most of America's introduction to pizza was with pepperoni, which thus became everyone's default. Something like that. Sounds plausible. Good story anyway.

Over the summer i i had a Coronado collab with i dint remember who called "best of San Diego" and jfc was it good. This is a prime example of why I love west coast IPAs.
Any of y'all had it??

Over the summer i i had a Coronado collab with i dint remember who called "best of San Diego" and jfc was it good. This is a prime example of why I love west coast IPAs.
Any of y'all had it??
Me too,

It wasn't a garlic, and sun-dried tomato IPA?

Y/N?

I'd be game with late addition of;

16 - oz of smoked mozzarella
4 - ounces of pepperoni
2 - ounces of anchovies
1- tablespoon red pepper flakes
1 - teaspoon of fresh basil
2 - ounce chunk of ground parmesan

All in a muslin sack for about week.

Gotta be clear though....

Me too,

It wasn't a garlic, and sun-dried tomato IPA?

Y/N?

I'd be game with late addition of;

16 - oz of smoked mozzarella
4 - ounces of pepperoni
2 - ounces of anchovies
1- tablespoon red pepper flakes
1 - teaspoon of fresh basil
2 - ounce chunk of ground parmesan

All in a muslin sack for about week.

Gotta be clear though....
You have an interesting troll style, friend.
I hope you do well at beer forum troll ball! (BFTB)

I'm sorry, I'm Polish not Trollish.

Who has no sense of humor? - Mr Tenderoni.

BTW - Been at it longer than you. That's how you become less obnoxious yet more refined. - LoL

Last edited:
Ok - Sorry- I'll get back on topic.

I haven't had the beer you mentioned.

Truth be told, I do love west coast IPA too

This is a pale ale (loosely connected) that to this day I thought and falsely remade as an Amber.

More than ten years ago I made this with lots of Cascade @60, 15, 10, 5, 0 and dry. Using a handful up to a pound of crystal 40L.

If I was wrong, this wasn't all that bad of a remake.
fc02f3fa6331d3c7d349aa6db6a22858.jpeg
Hammerhead.jpeg
Screenshot_20191101-000312.jpeg

Last edited:
I will drink a good hazy before or after drinking a good westie. I think we can all agree that this **** needs to go jump off a bridge though.

Adjustments.JPG

Looks good to me! Certainly better than a cloying, crystal malt, clear, bitter, wc ipa.

I’m actually enjoying a Sierra Nevada Celebration right now that has a healthy percentage of Crystal and is decently bitter. I’ll probably end up at a local brewery later and have an opaque haze boi that has been quad dry hopped and I will enjoy it just the same. Cheers!

Last edited:
My tribute to Alpine’s Nelson - a WC dIPA. 5gal batch, 90% Simpson’s Golden Promise, 10% cane sugar, 10mL hops hot, 2oz Nelson @ whirlpool, 3oz Nelson dry hop at days 4 & 6. Fermented with US05. 1.068 OG, ~90 IBU, 7.9% abv.
I’m calling it Kill Nelson.
IMG_1531.JPG

See? Now I'm the troll.

I can appreciate a wide variety of pizza styles (though NY and Neapolitan are my favs).

Mainly just wanted to add to the animosity.

But seriously St. Louis pizza is f*** rubbish.

As someone who lives in St. Louis I can tell you that STL style pizza sucking isn’t an opinion, it’s a fact!

I’m a pizza lover and it’s just barely edible.

Unless you're druck and don't give a fuq....

... Then it's the best with a DFH60MIPA.

It’s still trash.

Oddly enough the cheese they use universally on STL pizza, Provel, makes the best Philly cheese steak I’ve ever had.

It’s really good as an American cheese replacement in hot sandwiches of all types.

When it browns on a pizza it just turns to nasty goo though.

It’s still trash.

Oddly enough the cheese they use universally on STL pizza, Provel, makes the best Philly cheese steak I’ve ever had.

It’s really good as an American cheese replacement in hot sandwiches of all types.

Well, I can say I'm glad that I've never had it when out drinking downtown.

It’s still trash.

As I thought about your post and the cheese used. They don't use mozzarella? Who the fuq does that?

Last edited:
Maybe if they "toasted" it, meaning breaded and deep fried it, like the ravioli...? Nah probably wouldn't help.

Maybe if they "toasted" it, meaning breaded and deep fried it, like the ravioli...? Nah probably wouldn't help.

T-Ravs can be pretty good.

The pizza sucks though. Look up Provel. It’s only made for the STL market. You can’t buy it anywhere else but every store here sells it.

It’s amazeballs on a hot sandwich. When it’s just hot enough to melt it makes great sauce. When cooked it breaks down and gets nasty.

Natives love the pizza. Outsiders universally hate it because it’s trash.

3 parts hard mozzarella or brick cheese with 2 parts Monterrey Jack cheese for pizza. I can't bring myself to use straight mozzarella on pizza, personally, though there's nothing wrong with it.
Provolone is for subs, etc. but might not be bad as a small percentage to pizza cheese.
Edit: I like beer (keeping with the thread)

I worked at a privately owned pizzeria in the 80's. Cheese and pepperoni was the most popular one-item pizza. Also lots of pepperoni, ham and mushroom. Fun fact: the pepperoni sticks would get moldy sometimes and the handling was wiping the mold off with a damp towel before sliciing.
I like beer.

Back