Love Golf?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got off the course. 2nd round this week. Playing again Sunday haha.

Just got home to a homebrew Cigarbox IPA (simcoe hops, with staves of spanish cedar added to the fermentor). Nom nom if you like the wood-aged beers. Cigar City used to make a similar version of the Jai Lai, infused with spanish cedar spirals. Man I like that flavor.

1624056921435.png

I was playing alone, but some rando zipped up behind and joined me at the 7th hole, and we played together the rest. He was a very good golfer - hit +1 on the back 9, not sure about the front. But on the par-3 8 he got distracted by a passing dinosaur and missed the green. haha. In retrospect, I wonder if me and my phone were the issue...

Just got home to a homebrew Cigarbox IPA (simcoe hops, with staves of spanish cedar added to the fermentor). Nom nom if you like the wood-aged beers. Cigar City used to make a similar version of the Jai Lai, infused with spanish cedar spirals. Man I like that flavor.

View attachment 732821
Oh, that looks good. We just arrived in your neck of the woods yesterday to visit grandkids. Son-in-law is out of town with his Dad and twin bros. on a Father's Day golf weekend, but he left me a six pack of Jai Alai in the fridge. They all get back tomorrow, and then we're all headed to Hilton Head to join up with my son and family for a beach rental.

I squeezed 2 kegs and a Jockey cooler into the RV (an IPA and a Jai Alai clone) which hopefully will last for a few days at the beach house. Brought my Cigar City T-shirt and bar glasses as well, but sadly not my clubs. At least I've got the 19th hole covered.

View attachment 732821

They offer it as a seasonal between September and December now. Yours looks very tasty!
cc ja humidor.jpg

After having to withdraw from The Memorial with a 6-stroke lead after Saturday, I'm glad Rahm was able to win this one. I'm sure it was a better trade to have a major anyway ;-)
He seemed genuinely humbled at being the first Spaniard to win the U.S. Open, a feat that Seve had long sought but never achieved. A good tournament and a fine champion on one of the grandest "munies" in the world. O.K., Bethpage might be as nice, but you'd have to put up with New Yorkers.;)

What do you guys do for golf balls?

I gotta say I'm a Kirkland guy. TXG did a test against the ProV1 and found the Kirkland had more spin and was generally a great ball, all for just barely over $1 each...

I don't find myself rolling off the back of greens much... The ball hits and sticks.

They look OK to me. At least, they are fine for my level of play. I especially like the colorful ones :)

I don't mind a yellow or lime green ball. But if it's pink or red, I just can't. I'm red-green colorblind. I could lose one of those balls on the green and just not be able to see it.

Any time my buddy is playing a red ball, he knows I'm not going to be much help looking for it.

As for quality of ball, I'm of the opinion that spin matters, regardless of skill level. If I actually manage to hit the green, I want the ball to stay on it lol..

Just found this thread and never knew it existed.

I work at the number 1 platinum country club in the US. Congressional Country Club.

We can play for free on Mondays which I have done a lot in the past.
Unfortunately for me I have a torn tendon in my arm so haven't played in a long time.

What do you guys do for golf balls?

I gotta say I'm a Kirkland guy. TXG did a test against the ProV1 and found the Kirkland had more spin and was generally a great ball, all for just barely over $1 each...

I don't find myself rolling off the back of greens much... The ball hits and sticks.

I don't know enough about today's golf balls to have an opinion, but I just bought a sleeve of ProV1s at a flea market for $5, so I'll have to give them a try.

Passedpawn has no comment on Jon Rahm's victory.... Personally I think it's great. I was hoping Louis would pull through, but not to be. That last tee shot hosed him. Pretty exciting finish though with that leaderboard the way it was on the last day. It was anyone's tourney. Very cool.

Personally, I think ProV1's are great, but unless you're scratch or better golfer, I think you should save your cash and get something a little more affordable. Those suckers are crazy expensive. You're not going to notice a difference. You might think you do, but you won't. Not if you're not that great of a golfer. A lot of prima donnas out there... I was probably one at one time in my youth.
I'm not too picky, I like Srixon or Precept. Certainly not going to play cheap shag balls, top flite, etc. Not going to play orange or yellow balls, those, back in the day were shite balls that only top flite or the cheaper ball companies put out. For me, there's a stigma around that. Just seems lame and cheap and hacker-esque.

Passedpawn has no comment on Jon Rahm's victory.... Personally I think it's great. I was hoping Louis would pull through, but not to be. That last tee shot hosed him. Pretty exciting finish though with that leaderboard the way it was on the last day. It was anyone's tourney. Very cool.

Personally, I think ProV1's are great, but unless you're scratch or better golfer, I think you should save your cash and get something a little more affordable. Those suckers are crazy expensive. You're not going to notice a difference. You might think you do, but you won't. Not if you're not that great of a golfer. A lot of prima donnas out there... I was probably one at one time in my youth.
I'm not too picky, I like Srixon or Precept. Certainly not going to play cheap shag balls, top flite, etc. Not going to play orange or yellow balls, those, back in the day were shite balls that only top flite or the cheaper ball companies put out. For me, there's a stigma around that. Just seems lame and cheap and hacker-esque.

I loved that he won, especially after getting ripped on Memorial Day (one day away from easily winning that one). Yes, Louis O is a class act too. I only watched the last few holes of the US Open. DeChambeau is a bit of a tool - used to root for him, but hard to watch him now.

My father-in-law gave me a dozen of those pro-v1s. I gave them to my boys, who I'm sure would have a better idea what to do with them. I am a hack :)

I loved that he won, especially after getting ripped on Memorial Day (one day away from easily winning that one). Yes, Louis O is a class act too. I only watched the last few holes of the US Open. DeChambeau is a bit of a tool - used to root for him, but hard to watch him now.

My father-in-law gave me a dozen of those pro-v1s. I gave them to my boys, who I'm sure would have a better idea what to do with them. I am a hack :)
Man, I feel the same way about DeChambeau. What a meat head... Brooks definitely takes the higher road in that whole stupid feud they got going on.

They offer it as a seasonal between September and December now. Yours looks very tasty!
View attachment 732994
Not Humidor Series, but I found this at the Class 6 store at MacDill AFB the other day.

20210625_174351.jpg

I'm usually not a fan of hazies, but this one is quite nice. Cigar City has branched out a bit since our last trip down here 20 months ago. My son-in-law also had a session hazy from Sierra Nevada that I quaffed and found it quite nice as well (simcoe and mosaic). I hope he and my son will tolerate the Old Man's IPA and Jai Alai knockoff at the beach next week.

I agree that an average golfer isn't going to notice a difference between basically any of the brands of 3- or 4-piece urethane cover golf balls.

I disagree that an average golfer won't notice a difference between a 3- or 4-piece urethane covered golf ball and a 2-piece surlyn/ionomer ball.

Spin matters, especially around the green. Most average golfers have trouble generating spin already, and if you give them a 2-piece surlyn ball they're not going to hold greens pretty much anywhere. Give them a urethane ball and at least they've got a chance...

Of course, $4/ball is ridiculous. We just bought my FIL a box of 12x Callaway Chrome Soft (his preferred ball) and it was $48 before tax. For half that price I get 24 Kirkland and they're considered a "premium" ball in basically every way otherwise.

Best round of my life yesterday...

In all my memories of golf, I cannot recall a single round where I've made more than one birdie; I made three yesterday.

I finished the 18 holes +9, halfway between par and bogey golf. I say it that way because it's a par 60 course, so saying I shot a 69 makes it sound WAY too impressive lol... The best I've ever played that course previously was a 75.

3 birdies, 6 pars (including a streak of 5 in a row), 6 bogeys, and 3 doubles. No blow-up holes (triple+). No lost balls. No penalty strokes, unplayable lies, etc.

I was on fire!

Nice work!

And I agree about the Kirkland balls (and gloves for that matter), they're affordable and quality.

Played 9 with my son yesterday.

He hit two milestones in his golfing career. This was only his 4th round of golf in his life (he's 13).

On the 6th hole, he made his first ever par. It's a short course, so it's about a 60 yard hole. He hit a partial PW that was beautiful, hit the green, and rolled to the back fringe. I reminded him "think about the putt, read the green, and plan what you want the ball to do"--because he sometimes gets a little too quick to hit a putt rather than think about it. It was a pretty fast downhill putt, so I was worried he was going to kill it 6 feet past the hole, and he hit it with PERFECT pace and it finished 12 inches right of the hole, giving him an easy par putt.

Then, on the 8th hole, which was about an 85 yard par 3, he hit a full-swing PW with a nice little draw on it that hit about pin high and rolled ~15 feet past. He flat out told *me* this time that he was going to make sure he looked this one over and thought about it... Which was good, because he sunk the putt for the first ever birdie of his life too!

For his 14th birthday I've signed him up for a little Jr golf camp at the same course, so in another 2 weeks he's going to get four days of actual professional instruction. I think he'll be ready to go out for 18 soon.

Played a rainy round tonight. Rained on me for first 9 holes, but last 9 were dry. It was just a little drizzle, so wasn't totally uncomfortable.

Slammed a 7i into the vertical wall of this bunker on 10. Agghhh. Got out in 1, but not onto the green (fringe).
1626136905901.png

8th hole at Chi Chi's. It's a long par 3, and I didn't make it. Pic below is after my second shot :) Gray skies and you can see the rain hitting water there.
1626137085079.png

Played 9 with my son yesterday.

He hit two milestones in his golfing career. This was only his 4th round of golf in his life (he's 13).

On the 6th hole, he made his first ever par. It's a short course, so it's about a 60 yard hole. He hit a partial PW that was beautiful, hit the green, and rolled to the back fringe. I reminded him "think about the putt, read the green, and plan what you want the ball to do"--because he sometimes gets a little too quick to hit a putt rather than think about it. It was a pretty fast downhill putt, so I was worried he was going to kill it 6 feet past the hole, and he hit it with PERFECT pace and it finished 12 inches right of the hole, giving him an easy par putt.

Then, on the 8th hole, which was about an 85 yard par 3, he hit a full-swing PW with a nice little draw on it that hit about pin high and rolled ~15 feet past. He flat out told *me* this time that he was going to make sure he looked this one over and thought about it... Which was good, because he sunk the putt for the first ever birdie of his life too!

For his 14th birthday I've signed him up for a little Jr golf camp at the same course, so in another 2 weeks he's going to get four days of actual professional instruction. I think he'll be ready to go out for 18 soon.

Keep it up. Getting them into golf is a great idea. I got both my boys involved early.

That's nasty! I'd be thrilled to be out in 1 no matter where it landed.

Brew on :mug:

I dug my left foot into that bank and paid close attention to the angle of the blade of my sand wedge. I was much surprised when it jumped right out of there in the direction I had hoped for.

Had to do some reconstruction of the wall there. Kinda wrecked it.

Okay, I'm a bit of a loner. I work from home, self-employed, etc. I typically golf alone. But even I find it odd when the course seems totally abandoned and when I get back to the parking lot, even the staff is long gone. Just their bus and my truck back there. Feels like one of those post-apocalypse books.

But I like :)

1626141459573.png

I dug my left foot into that bank and paid close attention to the angle of the blade of my sand wedge. I was much surprised when it jumped right out of there in the direction I had hoped for.

Had to do some reconstruction of the wall there. Kinda wrecked it.
I'd just clean up my footprints and divot, and leave the wall rebuilding to the grounds crew. What did they think was going to happen to it? If they want to create a little hell for the player, then they deserve to suffer a little too.

I'd just clean up my footprints and divot, and leave the wall rebuilding to the grounds crew. What did they think was going to happen to it? If they want to create a little hell for the player, then they deserve to suffer a little too.

Haha, I was just reading (golf magazine) about a 40' bunker wall somewhere. Gotta find that and link it here. When I read it I thought you could srsly hurt yourself falling into that.

Okay, here's what I was talking about. Royal St George Golf Club. site of the Scottish open this last wkend. 4th hole. As you're approaching the green, don't hit this ODD bunker. C'mon, this is ridiculous. I can see some repeat uses of my sand wedge, and my favorite epithets #%&*#@!!! here.

1626143624545.png

That is insane. You'd have to go backwards to get around that sucker...I'm looking forward to the British Open this weekend.

Anyone use synthetic "Zero Friction" gloves? (Amazon).

I've had a problem with gloves this summer (and, well, forever). The leather ones
  • In summer, get saturated with sweat so bad the driver will fly out of my grasp
  • Gets stiff between rounds. Tough to put on when stiff. Smells like vinegar :(

I played a round with them today and they were flawless. They are one-size-fits-all. At first I thought they were a bit tight, but really they weren't, I'm just not used to this sort of stretchy "compression" glove. After the first drive, didn't even know they were different than my reg gloves. Grip was perfect a all day, never got sweaty or wet. The white part is synthetic - it was grippy all day, no issues at all. The gray part is mesh and breathes. This includes parts of the front, inside the grip. You can actually feel your palm cooling when you open it.

Probably my new glove.

I'll keep using them and let you guys know how it turns out.
1626390434286.png

Back