Love Golf?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have a pick, but it'd be nice on Sunday afternoon to see a mixture of recognizable players challenged by at least one underdog, someone yet to qualify for a "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" style video.
Who ever thought Phil Mickelson would be 3 up with 4 to play? Old guys ROCK!!

Who ever thought Phil Mickelson would be 3 up with 4 to play? Old guys ROCK!!

Congratulations to Phil! But hey, CBS golf announcers,, do you have to act sooooo surprised that a 50 year old can be competitive? It sure sounded a little patronizing at times. Or, at the very least, repetitive and boring.

That was a very classy acceptance speech by Phil. Anyone in danger of winning a major championship should have been taking notes.

Congratulations to Phil! But hey, CBS golf announcers,, do you have to act sooooo surprised that a 50 year old can be competitive? It sure sounded a little patronizing at times. Or, at the very least, repetitive and boring.

That was a very classy acceptance speech by Phil. Anyone in danger of winning a major championship should have been taking notes.
My son-in-law, an avid scratch golfer and Phil Mickelson doppelganger, reminded me that Lefty was the youngest and the last amateur to win a PGA tournament (at age 19), and is now the oldest person to win a PGA tourney.

Quite an historic win by Phil.

I love it that the golf world considers Phil Mickelson as "old" (at all of 50 ffs!) but kudos anyway for winning a major at that age (apparently/surprisingly never been done? Really?)

But holy cow! The guy's face looks like tanned leather. The dude has more money than God, and doesn't he have enough medical problems (semi-crazed immune system stuff) that maybe turning into a football is a bit over the top?

Sheesh...

On the subject of Phil's age, when I mentioned to my wife that he would be the oldest to win a major at 50 she replied "OH, that's it? I thought you were going to say he was in his late 60s at least"

I just watched a 3 minute video of Phil explaining his thoughts about winning at his age. He contributes his victory to better concentration, and staying focused and in the moment for 72 holes. He says that "older" players can be successful, they just have to work a little harder as they age.

Like Yogi used to say (but about baseball) "it is ninety percent mental. The other half is physical."

EDIT: There is a funny moment when Phil, responding to a question about whether he'd bet on himself with those 200 to 1 odds, says "I don't like to gamble". (That's kind of what he lives for).

Last edited:
Speaking of goff...Tommy Boy is getting a bit big for his knickers I think, but he can troll with the best of 'em :D

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ers-with-bryson-dechambeau-brooks-koepka-meme
Love the "kick a field goal down 7" thing. Highlarious! :D

That last tourney, in the middle of the lockdown, was awesome. I loved every minute of it. Tom was pretty bad during much of it, but he had a couple of nice shots, like the chip-in that curled around on the green and went in. I'm sure there are people who don't like him for whatever reason, but I'm a fan.

Man, those announcers really say some stupid sh*t. I think it'd almost be better with the sound off, but then ya miss out on the sound of the club hitting the ball or the ball landing on the green and dudes like Erik Van Rooyen destroying tee markers...

Congrats to Phil. He's really making things happen. Not sure about his coffee fasting thing, but hey, whatever works.

Played with my boys yesterday. Hit a hole-in-one on one of the par 3's - I've never even SEEN one of those live, let alone done it myself. So happy to have a couple of witnesses there (I often play alone).

1622481283228.png

Played with my boys yesterday. Hit a hole-in-one on one of the par 3's - I've never even SEEN one of those live, let alone done it myself. So happy to have a couple of witnesses there (I often play alone).

View attachment 730813
Congrats. I've come close twice, but no cigar.

Brew on :mug:

View attachment 730813

Congrats! I've never put a 1 on the scorecard. But I remember the time I was in a foursome playing skins and I had just put my tee shot within 3 or 4 feet of the hole, thinking I had won the hole. The next guy up hits a hole in one.

View attachment 730813
You GO, Dog! I've come close on two occasions. The first was 165 yard slightly uphill shot to a sloping side hill green, playing with my son, his wife's father, and a friend from high school. I hit the flag stick on a roll after the second bounce. The ball kicked right and started down the slope, ending maybe 8~10 feet from the cup. I was so shaken I THREE putted!

The second time I was in Kona (again playing with my son) in a work group tourney. Hit a high fade that hit just past the cup with back spin, rolled back OVER the hole. I swear it rattled the flag stick coming back, but failed to drop. I did get closest to the pin, however, and did win a neat Polo shirt with the course logo. The shirt's out of style today, but it's still hang's proudly in the closet. That was nearly 20 years ago and I haven't come close since.

Strangest par I ever made was on a par 4, dogleg left. Second shot was short of the green, and I bladed the chip, sending a bullet that hit the pin. Ball came off at 90° to the left and rolled off the green. Second chip hit the pin again, and dropped in the hole. Routine no-put par.

Strangest par I ever made was on a par 4, dogleg left. Second shot was short of the green, and I bladed the chip, sending a bullet that hit the pin. Ball came off at 90° to the left and rolled off the green. Second chip hit the pin again, and dropped in the hole. Routine no-put par.

I remember my first no-putt par. It was nearly 50 years ago. I was playing with my brother-in-law on the course I'd recently learned to play on. It was a new course near the college I was attending as an undergrad. I needed a 1 hour credit in Phys. Ed. for graduation and figured "golf" would be an easy one. I'd never played the game before taking the class and honestly had never really thought much about learning how to play. So I was a really rank beginner. (What am I saying? I'm still a rank beginner, only with more expensive equipment).

Anyway, I pulled a shot well left of the green on a short par 3 into tall grass behind a willow tree with a sand trap between the tree and the green. I took a mighty swing (aka, a "hack") at the offending lie, blind to the putting surface. Remarkably the flight path was a beautiful towering shot that popped out of the gorse, gracefully clearing the tree. Oh wait, that was the second attempt! We won't mention the first.

Anyway I felt a rush of accomplishment having actually given flight to the ball, and raced around the hazard to see where it ended up. My BIL and the other fella in our group were just milling quietly on the green lining up their putts. I started searching off the green and into the trap on the other side trying to find my ball. Finally they told me to check the cup!

They figured I had birdied, but I couldn't let the truth go untold. But then they figured I'd probably had more than ONE duffed shot before holing the chip.

That's probably the moment that hooked me into a lifetime of golfing. Without a doubt it was one of the most memorable shots of my golfing years, and I didn't even get to see it fall into the cup.

Haha, awesome. Two shots on the green, neither one a putter.

I think we are all cut from a similar cloth. Skill vs equipment thinking, and I have used not fit, used, bad clubs. They are bent for me at least. Hell the only thing I needed to be really good at wrestling was shoes.

I am learning this thinking is really holding me back. For starters all the wedges are worn and I am not going to go down this rabbit hole any, but all the good players I know, up to and including the tour, are VERY equipment conscious, and are fit for their clubs etc. I called the local guy does a full fitting for 240 dollars. And I have been to cheap for 20 years to pay it, but I want to play elite golf? My friend paid the 50 for driver fit, he said the low end ball speed was 140, and high end was 170, all equipment. I need to get fit, top to bottom and try to match that with what I can afford. Ymmv[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Awesome Passedpawn! Woot! What was hole length, club, etc...super cool. The next is around the corner.

Haha, I hope so. Hurt my back pretty good on Memorial day, still recovering (putting a new fence in and the post holes through roots is killing me). But I'm excited to try to go out and repeat.

It was about 125y, a shorty. But I didn't want to hit the green at all, haha. The green slopes up, away from the tee, and the flag was on the front of it. I really hate downhill putts, so I was intending on dropping the ball in the fringe in front of the green and let it bounce up to the flag. Well, unlike most of my shots, I actually did what I intended :). I think it was my PW, hole 6 at chi chi rodriguez here in Clearwater.

I think we are all cut from a similar cloth. Skill vs equipment thinking, and I have used not fit, used, bad clubs. They are bent for me at least. Hell the only thing I needed to be really good at wrestling was shoes.

I am learning this thinking is really holding me back. For starters all the wedges are worn and I am not going to go down this rabbit hole any, but all the good players I know, up to and including the tour, are VERY equipment conscious, and are fit for their clubs etc. I called the local guy does a full fitting for 240 dollars. And I have been to cheap for 20 years to pay it, but I want to play elite golf? My friend paid the 50 for driver fit, he said the low end ball speed was 140, and high end was 170, all equipment. I need to get fit, top to bottom and try to match that with what I can afford. Ymmv
[/QUOTE]

I'm a big believer in fitting... But I'm 6'5", 260#, and have a wrist-to-floor measurement of about 39.5" in golf shoes. From a "body scan" machine that my doctor's office has, my skeletal muscle mass is 20% higher than average for my height too, so although I need to lose weight I'll never be in "normal" BMI ranges with that muscle mass. I'm so far outside the norm that off-the-rack clubs are just horribly wrong for me.

So for someone like me, it's just flat impossible to have clubs without a fitting.

For someone of more average proportions and strength, though, it can still be quite important. How you swing, your tempo, your transition force, etc is individual. How you "feel" the club through the subconsciously changes the way you swing, too (for good or ill). So shaft weight, flex, EI profile, etc depends on personal factors that have very little to do with simple height, WTF measurement, and strength.

If what you have is right for you, you will swing naturally and freely. If what you have is wrong, your brain will be spending every swing trying to compensate for that because it doesn't feel right.

The one thing I will say, though, is that the quality of the fitting matters a great deal. Getting "fit" at a big box store is basically hot garbage, but getting "fit" by a mediocre professional fitter is not that much better. Spend your time and energy researching the fitters and get an idea from other golfers about who really knows what they're doing. Then, let the fitter know what you're looking for and not looking for. If you have a budget in mind, let them know so they don't try to fit you into a $400 aftermarket shaft for your driver, or bespoke irons. A good fitter will be able to work with the parameters you set.

One more thing--if you're paying 240 dollars flat fee for a full bag fitting, you're paying for the FITTING, not the clubs. That means that you DO NOT need to buy the clubs from that fitter [unless it's a specialty brand that only sells through fitters]. You may determine that you want to, because having a business relationship with a clubfitter/builder can benefit you down the road... Most fitters will have satisfaction guarantees and if there's something about the clubs you don't like (bad distance gapping, issues with loft/lie, etc) they'll probably fix it for free within a certain period. But if they're charging an insane markup, you can take their fitting specs and have exact same clubs built up from other places and save money.

I'm a big believer in fitting... But I'm 6'5", 260#, and have a wrist-to-floor measurement of about 39.5" in golf shoes. From a "body scan" machine that my doctor's office has, my skeletal muscle mass is 20% higher than average for my height too, so although I need to lose weight I'll never be in "normal" BMI ranges with that muscle mass. I'm so far outside the norm that off-the-rack clubs are just horribly wrong for me.

So for someone like me, it's just flat impossible to have clubs without a fitting.

For someone of more average proportions and strength, though, it can still be quite important. How you swing, your tempo, your transition force, etc is individual. How you "feel" the club through the subconsciously changes the way you swing, too (for good or ill). So shaft weight, flex, EI profile, etc depends on personal factors that have very little to do with simple height, WTF measurement, and strength.

If what you have is right for you, you will swing naturally and freely. If what you have is wrong, your brain will be spending every swing trying to compensate for that because it doesn't feel right.

The one thing I will say, though, is that the quality of the fitting matters a great deal. Getting "fit" at a big box store is basically hot garbage, but getting "fit" by a mediocre professional fitter is not that much better. Spend your time and energy researching the fitters and get an idea from other golfers about who really knows what they're doing. Then, let the fitter know what you're looking for and not looking for. If you have a budget in mind, let them know so they don't try to fit you into a $400 aftermarket shaft for your driver, or bespoke irons. A good fitter will be able to work with the parameters you set.

One more thing--if you're paying 240 dollars flat fee for a full bag fitting, you're paying for the FITTING, not the clubs. That means that you DO NOT need to buy the clubs from that fitter [unless it's a specialty brand that only sells through fitters]. You may determine that you want to, because having a business relationship with a clubfitter/builder can benefit you down the road... Most fitters will have satisfaction guarantees and if there's something about the clubs you don't like (bad distance gapping, issues with loft/lie, etc) they'll probably fix it for free within a certain period. But if they're charging an insane markup, you can take their fitting specs and have exact same clubs built up from other places and save money.
[/QUOTE]

Solid, you really are brilliant. Well thought out and go over the process nicely. These guys are solid, outfitting pros and the like iirc. Delance if you want to look them up. It would absolutely be worth seeing these guys if you were in town, great price, I might have been off going from memory, and yes, they fit you and then you buy wherever, however. Btw that swing looks great. Really.

Getting fit, putting well, I see my next level there, but sadly want to complain more about missed iron then putt, even though both are equal, and one is easier to perform physically, and can be practiced anywhere.

Damn sounds like you have it down, sry to hear about the back. Looks like you are playing well!

I need to play more, I am determining is a cause in my higher scores. Hope to play up in Breck this week.

Three generations going out for 9 this afternoon at the pitch & putt. Father in law, me, and my son...

The last [and only other] time I played with my FIL, he chunked a ball around 10 holes in and felt his arm feel wrong after digging the clubhead into the ground. He had to quit after the 12th from the arm pain, and he ended up with bruises from tennis elbow that made @passedpawn 's image from a couple pages back look like nothing... His entire forearm was basically black.

Hope today goes smoother for him lol...

Three generations going out for 9 this afternoon at the pitch & putt. Father in law, me, and my son...

The last [and only other] time I played with my FIL, he chunked a ball around 10 holes in and felt his arm feel wrong after digging the clubhead into the ground. He had to quit after the 12th from the arm pain, and he ended up with bruises from tennis elbow that made @passedpawn 's image from a couple pages back look like nothing... His entire forearm was basically black.

Hope today goes smoother for him lol...

Epic fail... Not his arm, mind you... That was fine.

But I get to the golf course, and realized I'd made the tee time for the wrong day, and the course was booked up for the next three hours. So we just hit balls at the range.

🤦‍♀️

Man, Phil's just the best. He's my generation and that means something to me. The generation older than I adored Arnie & Jack & Palmer. For me, I like Phil. There is another gen behind him (Jordan, Rickie, Dustin, Rory, etc). I love watching them too, but they are not Phil (yet).

Anyway, here's a little chipping tip from Phil where he makes it look oh so simple.

Back finally feels better, so I went out today. I came pretty close on the same hole I aced last week. It was rolling right at it and I thought... why not?
This really is what's been keeping me from playing lately. Seems like my back hurts for 3 or 4 days after playing. I haven't played in a couple weeks and my back feels pretty good overall. I'm not sure what to do, if I need to swing a lot easier or something needs to change in my swing.

US Open today, fellas. Looks like you can stream it online, like the Masters. I wish they'd do that for every tournament for those of us who don't have the golf channel.

This really is what's been keeping me from playing lately. Seems like my back hurts for 3 or 4 days after playing. I haven't played in a couple weeks and my back feels pretty good overall. I'm not sure what to do, if I need to swing a lot easier or something needs to change in my swing.

US Open today, fellas. Looks like you can stream it online, like the Masters. I wish they'd do that for every tournament for those of us who don't have the golf channel.

Funny, golf does not affect my back at all. Dark clouds above, but I might try to get a late round in. Haven't played since Monday :)

Funny, golf does not affect my back at all. Dark clouds above, but I might try to get a late round in. Haven't played since Monday :)
I don't know why it hurts mine so much - the twisting and turning, the torque - probably.

Ordered new clubs yesterday. The Wishon EQ1-NX single length. 4 hybrid, then 5 iron through GW.

All at 37.5" length with the NS Modus3 120 shafts, and GP MCC+4 grip in midsize.

The fitter does fittings for single length with 5i, since that's the area where many players have trouble hitting because of the shorter length in the long irons. I've never hit so many flush 5 irons in my life. Seems playing them 2" shorter than my current 5i--at my current 9i length--helps find the center of the face lol...

Now I'm hoping I get good news about how quickly they can get the heads and get them built.

Back