Love Golf?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a late round in yesterday. This, on the 18th.

1709854535930.png

Tuesday I had my first golf lesson since I started playing again. The guy knows his stuff and had me hitting better shots in just a few mnutes. A couple of easy changes in my setup and a downswing move that will get me more open at impact.

Here's hoping it only takes 10,000 or so shots to groove a better swing than I have now, but that could be optimistic, have to wait and see.

I was a scratch golfer when I was young, I started playing again after 20 years and suddenly i have a up and down issue while striking the ball , no idea what happened lol this is embarrassing, fat or thin
I took about 20 years off myself, I can relate. But I'm happy to be back in the game.

What I found is golf, unlike many other sports, you have to play often to get better. I find during the winter my game is not as good simply because I don't practice. During the non rain months, my buddy and I will play at least once every other week, even if it is 9 holes, and I find my striking and control are a lot better the more I play. I changed my swing pattern a bit on my driver, tried to break my wrists thru the ball earlier to avoid a huge slice. Seemed to work the first round, but who knows. Golf is a great sport to spend a day out with friends. And you can drink beer during the round!!!!! LOL

Been getting cold up here again. Slipped out yesterday. No one on the front nine. Only people I ran into was the owner and his black lab Bailey.

He's put a lot of money and work into the course and it's paying off.

He built a shack with a tee box up on a hill on a back to back par 3. The course is built near an old shaker village. Kind of laugh where the sign says the village was near the rock wall. This is new england. We're surrounded by old rock walls!!!

Played in 2:45
PXL_20240318_194640465.jpg
PXL_20240318_194806452.jpg
PXL_20240318_194856104.jpg
PXL_20240318_194910629.jpg
PXL_20240318_204435650.jpg

PXL_20240318_194535724.jpg

PXL_20240318_190910773.jpg

PXL_20240318_193900964.jpg

Been getting cold up here again. Slipped out yesterday. No one on the front nine. Only people I ran into was the owner and his black lab Bailey.

He's put a lot of money and work into the course and it's paying off.

He built a shack with a tee box up on a hill on a back to back par 3. The course is built near an old shaker village. Kind of laugh where the sign says the village was near the rock wall. This is new england. We're surrounded by old rock walls!!!

Played in 2:45
View attachment 844556View attachment 844557View attachment 844555View attachment 844554View attachment 844553

View attachment 844558

View attachment 844560

View attachment 844559
A shack with a tee box, that's cool!

A shack with a tee box, that's cool!
The owner just loves spending money :) The previous owner went into bankruptcy and rode the course into the ground. Cut down a lot of the 100' pines you see in the pic to make $$$.

The new owner literally blew up the 18th hole (which I thought was one of the best holes in NE) and continued cutting trees. However, the was cutting with a purpose and after like 5 years it has a new character.

It's fun to talk to the owner and his plans. He just loves golf. One of the other odd things is there's a bunch of telescopes you see on ethe tee boxes. Some to eye approach shots. Others for wildlife.

Fun course

Last edited:
Been working on a bunch of things... One simple change really tamed my tendency to hit big hooks and also helped a little with less toe misses, and I got the first lesson I've had in 30+ years that included short game work, and had a LOT to fix there--but for once I feel moderately confident standing over a wedge from 30 yards out...

The next thing to work on is my sway. I've had a tendency to sway WAY too much to the trail side in the backswing, getting back to the lead side too late which becomes a bit of a slide and make rotation difficult. I think I've made some progress, but it's going to take a LOT of range work to make it feel normal and do it consistently...

Before:

1710945907361.png

After:

1710945924586.png

What I learned a few years ago, and it was unexpected... going to golf tournaments is really fun. I went to the Valspar tournament friday and sunday. So nice.

View attachment 845008
I agree. My buddy took me to a Celebrity tournament sponsored by one of his clients. We had full access, so booze and food were free. and it was a awesome weekend weather wise. Didn't meet any celebs, but Larry the cable guy was funny as hell. LOL. Walked my butt off, but had a great time.

Continuing to work on the sway to the trail side. Think I'm making real progress. And it [predictably] is also helping with early extension and proper pivot. The DTL view shows better push of the left hip back on the downswing and avoiding EE compared to my usual.

Hopefully one of these days it helps reduce scores lol...

Just got off the course. I admire people that chase the better score etc, but I'm a simple guy who doesn't keep score and just likes to walk 18 at least once a week.

Here's a little gator hanging out along the 4 hole fairway. Happily I put this one right in the middle of the fairway.

1712877099717.png

Back