Long Journey into E-brewing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dang it. I emailed Auber to see what they have to say as well. The fuse wouldn't protect the unit? Isn't that the whole point of them?

Kane at Auber thinks the transformer inside could be fried. I'll have to send it in for repair. I'll test it tonight with a separate power source (the 120V kit I made to test the SSR last night should suffice).

I have a solid 240V at the end of the fuse before it heads into the controller though.

dang it. I emailed Auber to see what they have to say as well. The fuse wouldn't protect the unit? Isn't that the whole point of them?

Not really. Fuses are intended to keep the wires from getting too hot, and starting a fire, in the event of a short downstream of the fuse. Protecting low voltage inputs/outputs from being accidentally connected to mains voltage is a whole different matter. It's possible, but takes a whole lot more than a simple fuse (for example, most quality multimeters have input protection built in.)

Brew on :mug:

Well, guess I'm not brewing this weekend. Or if I need to, I can resort to gas and somehow shield my silicone gaskets for the triclamps.

OK so got my Auber piece back repaired (not now, back in March) and FINALLY ran a test for proper function. I've been swamped with home projects and haven't brewed in seemingly eons.

But with ambient temp of 70, with water from the hose at 68, I got 4.5 gallons up to strike temp of 162 in 14 minutes. This is comparable to 45-55 minutes using propane depending on conditions. This was 100% control. Knowing I just shaved off an hour off my brew day for heating initial strike water AND getting mash out to boil faster was all worth it.

Now for the next brew....

Latest posts

Back