Fruit Beer Lemon-Lime Hefe Weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone have a good Sub for motueka?
Lemon drop maybe?
I don't need anymore hops(got 3 more # last week), and I can justify paying shipping on just a few oz.
It seems that motueka has caught on. I don't remember it being as expensive a year ago and availability being better.
There is a hbs about 45 minutes away where I can get it, as Rebel Brewer closed down :(
But that's a drive for a handful of hops.

Thank you SD_Slim, just carbed up my first batch and I'm loving every drop. I had some Danstar Munich yeast laying around that brought out fields of banana esters; works really well with the lime. I admit I was a little leery of the .5oz lime zest and the added juice but the limey-ness is subtle enough to keep you coming back for another sip. Now I can't help but wonder what a bottle of Simply Mango would do for a Saison.

Just started a batch of this last Saturday (Oct. 7). A little late for summer, but I'm weird like that.

Probably the quickest I've seen bubbles come out of the airlock. Rattling off within a few hours of pitching yeast.

I have had a lot of people tell me they make this beer year around...by itself in the summer, or turn it in to a boil maker by adding a shot of whiskey in the winter. So now I need to brew more for this winter!!!

I have had a lot of people tell me they make this beer year around...by itself in the summer, or turn it in to a boil maker by adding a shot of whiskey in the winter. So now I need to brew more for this winter!!!

Don't tempt me! :tank:

Should be pouring my first pint of this brew this time next week... super stoked. Fermentation went great, already done, now just rounding off the 3-week primary. Saturday gonna put "half" in a 2.5 gal keg, the rest in bottles.

Damn you. You said the magic word. I gotta try this

So I brewed this.
I couldn't get the pre-made limeade so i got simply lime concentrate.
figured same stuff sorta.
I added one can to secondary, kegged, purged, and sealed with 25lbs pressure co2.
Let it sit in my living room for the required time.
think it started fermenting again due to the sugar in the concentrate.
because it was pretty carbed up when I decided to try it.
newbie mistake.
didn't taste good at all. barely any lime flavor.
added another can of concentrate post keggorator.
OMG!
lime slaps you in the face and it's amazing.
Only thing, it's really cloudy.
but it's only been chilled a few days so i'll give it time.

A couple of questions from a novice: 1)Regarding bottling (since I don't have a keg system) - would I add any corn sugar at the time of bottling? If so, how much? 2) How long after bottling is it ready to drink? Thanks in advance.

I like to use the brewers friend calculator fir determining how much corn sugar to add (https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/), I have always had good carbonation following their recommendations.

As for the length of time before drinking I usually wait 2 weeks and then give it a try. Sometimes it needs a bit more time but for the most part it is good.

I think it's time to make this. I have 3/4 of a pound of Sorachi Ace that needs using. I also have some YCH Cyro; Citra, Ekuanota and Mosaic. Not going to use all three. I'm gonna have too pick one.

I'm going to sub the yeast with WB-06. It's starting to get warm. I need to stock up on T-58, WB-06 and S-33

Those yeasts and this beer recipe seem to be the makings of a great warm weather brew!

Anybody have some good tasting notes? I have pondered this recipe the last three years and have stepped away thinking it won't have the lemon/lime I hope it will.
How critical is the here yeast? I have some washed Forbidden Fruit that I like because it gives some tartness that helps with citrus flavors and has very very subtle Belgian funkiness, that usually ages out after a few weeks in the bottle.

Funny how this recipe from seven years ago exposes the stealth inflation that goes on in the grocery store: Simply Limeaid is now sold in 52 oz containers.

If my calculations are correct the extra alcohol due to the limeade addition is basically cancelled out by the volume of liquid added: I started out at 5.6% ABV. The dilution took it down to about 5.2%, but the additional fermentation takes it right back to 5.6%. Does this sound correct?

I think I recall looking with refractometer and got 1.048 SG of my LimeAide while my OG was 1.050 so I figured it was basically like adding more of the same SG wort to the batch.

So, yes, the ABV would basically stay the same.

So my friends came over with the margarita in a bucket stuff and they put a whole damn bottle of tequila it.
So I grabbed my ice shaver, filled a glass with shaved ice, filled half the space with lemon-lime heffe and the other half with margarita.

And called them "icebergs".
We had them in punta cana.
It was their el' presidente' lager mixed with margarita.
it was one of the few drinks still cold halfway through unless you slammed them.

it was 80 degree's out and soooo good.

So I brewed this.
I couldn't get the pre-made limeade so i got simply lime concentrate.
figured same stuff sorta.
I added one can to secondary, kegged, purged, and sealed with 25lbs pressure co2.
Let it sit in my living room for the required time.
think it started fermenting again due to the sugar in the concentrate.
because it was pretty carbed up when I decided to try it.
newbie mistake.
didn't taste good at all. barely any lime flavor.
added another can of concentrate post keggorator.
OMG!
lime slaps you in the face and it's amazing.
Only thing, it's really cloudy.
but it's only been chilled a few days so i'll give it time.
Is it cloudy (floaties) or just very hazy? A Weizen bier should be hazy/cloudy unless it is a Krystal Weizen.

Funny how this recipe from seven years ago exposes the stealth inflation that goes on in the grocery store: Simply Limeaid is now sold in 52 oz containers.

If my calculations are correct the extra alcohol due to the limeade addition is basically cancelled out by the volume of liquid added: I started out at 5.6% ABV. The dilution took it down to about 5.2%, but the additional fermentation takes it right back to 5.6%. Does this sound correct?
The mad fermentations did a write up about this, https://www.themadfermentationist.com/2010/10/adding-fruit-to-beer-increases-alcohol.html?m=1
That was about adding fruit by the general concept is the same.

Made this last month, tasted it over the weekend for the first time and it was awesome! Even my dad, a pure macro beer guy, agreed and requested a case :)

I could not find Motueka hops, so I subbed with centennial. Though I have since found motueka at a different store in the area so will brew it proper next time (yes, there will be a next time!). I also couldn't find the specific yeast you mentioned, but found a site suggesting safbrew WB-06 as a sub and it worked out great, no banana notes.

Thanks a lot for the recipe.

https://imgur.com/a/cVEnoWm

Made this my comeback recipe after a 4 year layoff from brewing. Made a boneheaded mistake of adding the juice straight from the fridge. I think I shocked the yeast, because I didn’t get the vigorous fermentation. I still have airlock activity, so I hope it finishes out. If not, I’ll just brew it again[emoji41]

Picked up ingredients for this recipe today. Unfortunately, my LHBS didn’t have motueka hops or Hefeweizen IV yeast, so I substituted Citra hops and 3068 instead. It seems this recipe is very ingredient-dependent, so I’m not expecting it to shine as other posters have stated. Nevertheless, I think a citrusy hefeweizen will be a great beer for mid-May.

I wouldn't get too caught up in not having the exact same ingredients. I couldn't find Motueka and used Centennial instead. I used Safbrew WB06 yeast. Friends still talk about how much they liked this beer, I'm going to have to make it again this summer

Picked up ingredients for this recipe today. Unfortunately, my LHBS didn’t have motueka hops or Hefeweizen IV yeast, so I substituted Citra hops and 3068 instead. It seems this recipe is very ingredient-dependent, so I’m not expecting it to shine as other posters have stated. Nevertheless, I think a citrusy hefeweizen will be a great beer for mid-May.

I wouldn't get too caught up in not having the exact same ingredients. I couldn't find Motueka and used Centennial instead. I used Safbrew WB06 yeast. Friends still talk about how much they liked this beer, I'm going to have to make it again this summer

Thanks for the input. Did you use the listed amount of lime and limeade for your batch? I’ve seen comments about the lime being overpowering and am contemplating a smaller amount of limeade.

Thanks for the input. Did you use the listed amount of lime and limeade for your batch? I’ve seen comments about the lime being overpowering and am contemplating a smaller amount of limeade.

Yes I followed the recipe and added the full bottle of simply limeade and lime zest, didn't find it overly limey. Plan on repeating the same process this time. More pressure though because it'll be served at my wedding in August, one of eight kegs my friends and I plan on having ready to go

I used the same hops and lime but made a kolsch test batch instead.
it finished fermenting and now ready for the bottles.
initial non-carbonated taste is pretty good.
I don't think i'll add lime aid since I don't want it in your face.

Just brewed this one again. I have kept tweaking the crap out of it over the years. Its not very close to the original anymore. More like a lime india pale hefeweizen
Brewed 10 gallons.
14 lbs 2 row, 6 lbs white wheat, 4 lbs vienna , mash at 154 5.3g gypsum 7g cacl charcoal filtered water
Wyeast weihestephaner 2.5 l starter
1 oz el dorado 65 min
1 oz motueka 22 min
Flameout - .7 oz Eldorado, 1.7 oz sorachi ace, .75 oz lime zest, 1 oz motueka 30 minute hopstand
1.068 OG - added 1 gallon trader joes limeade after high krausen
Will dry hop with the same hops soon.

Also, had some leftover wort I squeezed out and added some DME and split into 2 one gallon partigyle batches with my cantillon yeast starter culture. Will add some fruit to that later. Been keeping the same cantillon starter going for 2 years now for all my sours.

Question, what has everyone's final gravity been with a 158 mash and S-04? It's hard to believe that it will get down to 1.001 with that high of mash, even with a half-gallon of juice. But I suppose it's possible...

Just trying to figure out my grill bill. I brew 5 gallons, 72% efficiency. Seems like the original receipe is a 6.5% beer, if it truely gets down to 1.001. I can see the fruit juice getting to 1.001, but I question whether or not an ale at a 158 mash (which is high) can really get that low...

If I can truly expect 1.001 at a 158 mash with hefe yeast, then that will allow me to get the appropriate amount of grains.

If it's more around 1.006- 1.010, then I can compensate accordingly.

Seems like from your notes if you did mash at 158, that it's still going to get low!

Heh my notes aren't that good. I would have shot for whatever temp the recipe said, but it was the second beer I ever brewed so probably wasn't perfect :).

I mashed at 156F. Mash PH was 5.56, a little bit high, but still should make a fine quality beer. Took quite a bit of Acid to lower my pH (6.5 ml or so).

My pH meter may be reading a tad bit high as well, but I think that's close enough.

I couldn't imagine not treating your water making this beer using a munich profile....all light grains. Need acid! :)

Using "SAAZ" instead of Motueka hops. I think they are the same thing, at least it says online.

Everything is going to plan....it took two large limes to make .5 Oz of zest...I used a cheese grater so I probably picked up more white. I may bump it to 1 Oz or zest if there's a decent amount of white...please advise.

Also, local HB store didn't have the specific white labs yeast in original recipe. They had they other Hefe yeast, but it wasn't the same. Doing research on the spot, turns out SafAle WB-06 is pretty much the same strain, so got a packet of that.

SafAle makes incredible yeast!

Landed exactly at 1.050 SG. A little less than what i was expecting, but happy since it's a summer beer. That's a not-so-great efficiency of 60% but I'll take it.

Mid 5%er should be just about perfect for what it is I would think. Now let's see what the yeast and the Limeaid will do!

Last edited:
Back