Fruit Beer Lemon-Lime Hefe Weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've brewed this recipe over a thousand times....a few possibilities: you added the limeade cold instead of room temperature, this shocks yeast and makes it work slow...repitch yeast to fix. Your equipment could have a leak, take daily readings to see if it continues to progress...if it does it's the equipment. And finally something could have went wrong with the recipe and you didn't have enough fermentable sugars.....hoping for the first 2 options, I hope it turns out

D'oh! I think that's it: The limeade came from the fridge :(
I'll take a reading and see where it is. I'll add yeast if necessary.

I've brewed this recipe over a thousand times....a few possibilities: you added the limeade cold instead of room temperature, this shocks yeast and makes it work slow...repitch yeast to fix. Your equipment could have a leak, take daily readings to see if it continues to progress...if it does it's the equipment. And finally something could have went wrong with the recipe and you didn't have enough fermentable sugars.....hoping for the first 2 options, I hope it turns out

Recipes looks great and brewed it this past weekend - with one mistake. I managed to forget the zest during the boil. Based on folks variations of this recipe, am I better off leaving it out now or adding a lesser amount with vodka when I add the limeade? Thanks for any advice!!

You can do 2 simple things, squeeze 3 to 4 lime and put juice in at the same time as limeade or get Torani lime extract and use it as your bottling primer (if you bottle)...personally I would use the lime juice....the only noticible difference between lime juice and zest, is that you won't have a strong lime after taste....but it still will be amazing beer

Thanks Slim. I'll go with the lime juice. It's been fermenting like crazy for past 48 hours. Plan to add limeade and juice tomorrow. Excited to see how this comes out in a few weeks - made 10 gallon batch for summer - seems like a great recipe.

D'oh! I think that's it: The limeade came from the fridge :(
I'll take a reading and see where it is. I'll add yeast if necessary.

Just took a reading and it's at 1.013, tastes pretty good too. I think it must have just fermented the heck out the lime juice while I was at work all day.

After brewing this beer several times and having other people brew it as well....I can tell you this will be one of your favorite recipes!

All Grain
  • 6.25lbs Pale Malt (2 Row)
  • 4lbs White Wheat Malt
  • 1lb Vienna Malt
  • ****Mash 158 for 45 minutes****
  • 0.25 Motueka Hops at 60 Minutes
  • 0.25 Sorachi Ace 20 minutes
  • 0.25 Motueka Hops 20 minutes
  • 0.25 Sorachi Ace 7 Minutes
  • 0.50 Lime Zest 5 Minutes
  • White Labs Hefeweizen IV Ale Yeast
  • ****Start Vigorous Fermentation****
  • After Vigorous Fermentation subsides, add 1.75L Simply Limeade
  • ****Ferment for a minimum of 3 weeks****

Extract
  • 7lbs 12.6 Ounces of Wheat Liquid Extract
  • 10.7 Ounces of Pale Liquid Extract
  • Follow rest of All Grain Recipe
This beer is a great every day drinker, I recommend a frosty mug and a lime garnish!

Have you ever tried using WLP300 Hefeweizen over WLP380 Hefeweizen IV before?

Yes, you can alter the recipe with ingredients....but as you do, you remove a little bit of perfect harmony this recipe has with all of its ingredients.

So we're going to give this one a shot this weekend. Curious if everyone that has brewed this has cold crashed then added limeade, or added it warm after fermentation slows down. My buddy that brews with me added it all to beer smith and I haven't really done any exploring into it since. He old me 3 weeks for fermentation which sounded crazy to me. So how exactly are you guys adding all these ingredients? Do I just brew it, pitch the yeast, ferment for a week or 2, then dump the limeade in and cold crash right away? Any benefit in letting the limeade sit in the fermenter for a longer period? I don't do secondary every anymore, I typically just ferment, cold crash in the bucket, then keg and fine with gelatin. Way too many pages for me to look though, i'm hoping someone can be of some help that has done this one before.

Its says in the OP to add the limeaid after vigorous fermentation subsides. And ferment for a minimum of 3 weeks.

This beer is an extremely complex beer, it needs 3 weeks of fermentation in order for certain flavors to develop.....however it's your beer so choose any path you would like, but in summary here is what I recommend: make wort, cool, pitch yeast, wait for fermentation to subside (usually a week), pitch room temperature limeade and wait for amazing beer to be made!
It's your beer, so do what you would like......BUT, if you have never followed the recipe exactly as posted, then you will not experience a beer that has won so many rewards, has been offered in retailers and loved by many!

Happy Brewing

3 weeks in the primary it is. I'm more interested on what exactly happens and why... I just don't understand. So is there still enough active yeast and it works on the sugar from the limeade? I just assumed that after fermentation was over, nothing else is going to change with the beer.

3 weeks in the primary it is. I'm more interested on what exactly happens and why... I just don't understand. So is there still enough active yeast and it works on the sugar from the limeade? I just assumed that after fermentation was over, nothing else is going to change with the beer.

The yeast will go bonkers over all the simple sugars in the limeade.

I have never made this, but have made a couple beers with a prominent lime flavor and wanted to add some thoughts.

Has anybody used around .5oz of lime zest in place of the Limeade? I only ask because I have had very good results using that amount and for some people that can't find Limeade or are having trouble with how it works out this might be a good alternative. This will also lower the final ABV since the limeade is contributing sugars that are getting fermented, it might leave a fuller body too since you'd be losing the liquid from the limeade.

It's not the hint of lime that many "traditionalist" might go for. I have tried .25-.3oz usually 3 limes and that gives that slight hint/background presence that people can say there's some lime but for lack of a better explanation it blends in with other flavors in that amount, where at .5oz (5-6 limes) it is known that there's some lime there but still plays with other flavors well.

Mcfire the 3 week fermentation is to eat the yeast, and then after visible activity stops the yeast them cleans up byproducts....so it's a must!
Bolus14 - this recipe uses both lime zest and limeade....the zest is aromic and for after taste....the limeade is to impact the overall flavor, the only sub would be a lime extract

I missed that you have .5oz of zest at 5min.

I add mine "dry hop" style usually try to get it while there's 4 or 5 more gravity points to drop. This is usually when I raise the temp to ensure fermentation finishes. I get decent flavor and aroma from the zest that way.

I may try the OP this year, I have a friend who loves Bud Light Lime and this might be a good one to get him away from that garbage.

For some reason beer smith wants me to mash for 45 mins. Why is that? I'm assuming standard 60 min mash?

As I've yet to try this I cannot say with certainty, but I will be making this and to the letter of the OP. Only then would I consider trying changing things. But that's just the way I do these things.

Yes finally someone gets it.....you work hard on a recipe, then you decide to share that recipe....some follow it to the letter and love it....some change it and say it's ok or have issues with the brew.....NEWS FLASH PEOPLE....if you don't try the very popular original recipe that took years to perfect, then please don't post in here how amazing your altered version is!
Those people are the reason why I stopped sharing recipes!

Dude, from my point of view with barely 65 batches made, if someone has done the nitty gritty of finding the combo that causes tastebuds to stand up and salute, I am ecstatic to capitalize on that research. I am far from feeling I know better. Except with black patent malt. Really. Don't like that stuff.

I didn't mean to upset anyone. I just simply cannot find for certain where it says to do 45 min mash and 60 min boil. A previous post has made it clear it's a 45 min mash. But I'm still uncertain on the 60 min boil? We're brewing this first thing in the morning so i'd just like to be clear about it.

Also, I worry a bit about the zest plugging my chiller, we just bought a big hop spider thats mesh of 300 microns. Am I safe to just dump the zest in there? Or in a muslin bag?

I didn't mean to upset anyone. I just simply cannot find for certain where it says to do 45 min mash and 60 min boil. A previous post has made it clear it's a 45 min mash. But I'm still uncertain on the 60 min boil? We're brewing this first thing in the morning so i'd just like to be clear about it.

The recipe on the 1st post says mash for 45 minutes and the first hop addition is at 60 min which would imply a 60 min boil. As far as the zest goes there is no way it should clog your chiller but use a bag if you wish.

Yes finally someone gets it.....you work hard on a recipe, then you decide to share that recipe....some follow it to the letter and love it....some change it and say it's ok or have issues with the brew.....NEWS FLASH PEOPLE....if you don't try the very popular original recipe that took years to perfect, then please don't post in here how amazing your altered version is!

I hear you. Sometimes you just have to sub some ingredients. I dislike people twisting your recipe then posting it. If its too different is kin to a thread hijack. Its better ask about the sub or do an IM. Its typically like not having a hop or a specialty grain and still wanting to brew on brew day.

Your sorachi ace specification is critical. I like the lemon taste. I bought a pound of it awhile back and still have some in the freezer. Might have too make this.

https://ychhops.com/varieties/motueka

Look like this one ^^^ is critical too...

Please don't stop sharing recipes because of those fools. This beer was awesome and I will be making it again this summer. It was the first beer I kegged & i can't wait to have it on tap again. Literally everyone who tried it loved it. DON'T SUB ANYTHING. You can get all the hops you don't have online, just plan ahead people! :mug:

Please don't stop sharing recipes because of those fools. This beer was awesome and I will be making it again this summer. It was the first beer I kegged & i can't wait to have it on tap again. Literally everyone who tried it loved it. DON'T SUB ANYTHING. You can get all the hops you don't have online, just plan ahead people! :mug:

Ditto. First non-kit beer I made and it was off the chain. Served it at a neighborhood BBQ, and it was absolutely a hit. Aiming to have a batch of the Blood Orange version ready for 4th of July at Lake Texoma.

Brewing this up today for probably the 8th time. Huge hit at summer get togethers for those not into ipa's, which is what I normally make. Always comes out great. I have made it a few times exactly as instructed and a few times with some different yeast strains. Never disappointed. Awesome recipe!

View attachment 1497115139141.jpg

Thank you @SD-SLIM. I finally brewed this today. I did have to sub some sawdust for the Vienna, and instead of Sorachi I found some poison oak in the back yard, and my LHBS only has Wyeast not White Labs so I scraped some mold off the shower curtain...

Just kidding. Brewed as specified page one.

IMG_2857.JPG

I also brewed this for the first time and as specified on page one, I think we need to do a side by side comparison in a few weeks Balrog :mug:

Thank you @SD-SLIM. I finally brewed this today. I did have to sub some sawdust for the Vienna, and instead of Sorachi I found some poison oak in the back yard, and my LHBS only has Wyeast not White Labs so I scraped some mold off the shower curtain...

Just kidding. Brewed as specified page one.

Just curious, did the mold from the shower curtain give you any off flavors? Or did the sawdust and poison ivy counteract that?

Just curious, did the mold from the shower curtain give you any off flavors? Or did the sawdust and poison ivy counteract that?

What was the source of the saw dust.

Wolmanized timber?

Wolmanized® wood is poles, piles, timbers, posts, or plywood that is pressure-treated with CCA preservative to provide structural protection from termites and fungal decay. For 70 years, CCA-treated wood has been specified in a wide variety of applications; as of December 30, 2003, Wolmanized® wood may be produced for only the uses shown in the next section. When used as recommended, CCA-treated wood is harmless to people, plants, and animals. Its use provides environmental benefits as well as decades of service

https://www.google.com/search?q=wol...droid-verizon&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

I did have quite the sulfur production with this fermentation, and I made sure to use yeast nutrient in both starter and the batch, and O2 in both as well. I finally dropped a hop sock full of activated charcoal on the airlock when the basement around the fermentation chamber got pretty strongly rotten-egg-ish (used for the EdWort ApfelWein). Also, I made this in my 8G ferment bucket and blow off was not required, even when I added the LimeAid after the main fermentation had finished on day 2.

I want to brew a 10 gallon batch of this on monday, but I don't know if I'll have enough time to do a 2 step starter in time to get the amount of yeast cells needed. Would underpitching this yeast cause any undesirable flavors for the recipe?

Also, after the 3 week fermentation can I just throw the keg in the keezer or would you recommend additional room temp conditioning?

Just kegged this yesterday and poured the first glass now. All I can say is fantastic recipe! What a great summer beer. This one will definitely go into my rotation. Thanks SD-SLIM!

Back