• We have a new forum and it needs your help! Homebrewing Deals is a forum to post whatever deals and specials you find that other homebrewers might value! Includes coupon layering, Craigslist finds, eBay finds, Amazon specials, etc.

Fruit Beer Lemon-Lime Hefe Weizen

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

fendersrule

Reaction score
Looking forward to this. Fermentation is still active. Probably will pour the Lime-aid in tomorrow. Here's why this beer will improve over the last time. The last time I made this, it was peppery and the bottles were gushers, so there probably was an infection.

1) I used white wheat malt instead of white flaked wheat. Duh!

2) I used Moteuka hops (which required me to drive to another brew store) instead of Saaz. No more pepper!

3) I used WLP380 instead of Salfate Hefe yeast.

4) Hopefully I won't have an infection!

5) I used exactly 1/2 Oz of Lime Zest. I think last time I used a full ounce.

fendersrule

Reaction score
I was reading way back about how people were saying that LimeAid will add .5% ABV. The reasoning was if you add up all the sugar, you get 80 grams (I think this was the number).

The problem with this logic however is that you are not just adding sugar when you dump lime-aid in. You are adding water too. :)

Apple Juice has an OG of about 1.054ish. Apple Juice has 24G of sugar. LIme aid has 28G of sugars. My guess is that Limeaid should measure around 1.58 OG.

So if you're at 1.051 for the grain portion for 5-6 gallons, and you add a half gallon of 1.058 Lime-aid, there is no way you are adding .5% ABV. You're probably only going to boost your OG to 1.053ish is my best guess at the most.

My OG is 1.059, so Limeaid won't add any alcohol to my wort, it will only maintain the alcohol % and give me .5 gallons more beer. :)

fendersrule

Reaction score
Yep! In most cases, fruit is probably not going to boost your alcohol content much, if at any, and if you have a strong beer with fruit juice, it may even lower your alcohol content! In most realistic cases, it's probably going to be about the same.

Cider making actually teaches you this really well, because you are directly manipulating your SG before fermination by using fruit concentrates, juices, etc. So you get really good at these exercises. "Hmm, what happens when I pour a quart of 1.058 juice into my 2 gallons of 1.050 juice?" "Wow, not much...I'm at 1.053 now and I'm targeting 1.065." This also works vice-versa too. Many, many, many of batches of ciders teaches you this!

BTW, this is my second time making this batch, and unlike the first, I FINALLY got a little blow-off the night after adding Limeiad! The first time, I got no visible activity!

I'm using WLP380. I hope it's OK, because my fermentation temp has been on the cool side, and I've not been able to get it up to the middle of the range. I started at 60F (first pitch). The next day it was 62F (while still in lag phase) and for the vast majority of fermentation it hasn't gone over 64F. The noted "optimal range" is 65-70F.

Once I am able to put a "burper" on it, I plan to move it somewhere where ambient is 68F and let it sit for a couple weeks...

Anyone else use WLP380 on the cool side?

Last edited:

NitrogenWidget

Reaction score
i'll make this again but i think i'll double the lime peel also.
first time I made this it was awesome.
then the lime flavor faded.

Edit: can't find simply lime-aid at walmart this time of yr. guess nobody drinks it in the winter.
Wanted to make a test batch, guess i'll just make my own lime-aid which is basically lime juice and simple sugar.

Last edited:

fendersrule

Reaction score
What a successful beer. My first batch was infected (didn't know it at the time). This second batch was RIGHT on the money. Holy hell, just look at it.

1) Perfect balance of Banana/Clove at a 64F fermentation.
2) Great "bubblegum" finish
3) The body is surprisingly "healthy" and full. I was really expecting a "thin" beer with the Lime-aid, but this has the best body of any hefe I've had. This ain't no "summer-only" beer.
4) It's surprisingly sweet. I'm not sure why. Probably the 158F mash temp. Don't deviate from this mash temp!

Definitely a competition beer and a new benchmark for my home-brews. Professional-quality.

88210804_10157136839499021_534310209548451840_n.jpg

88248315_10157136839564021_8008952025112903680_n.jpg

BongoYodeler

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What a successful beer. My first batch was infected (didn't know it at the time). This second batch was RIGHT on the money. Holy hell, just look at it.

3) The body is surprisingly "healthy" and full. I was really expecting a "thin" beer with the Lime-aid, but this has the best body of any hefe I've had. This ain't no "summer-only" beer.
4) It's surprisingly sweet. I'm not sure why. Probably the 158F mash temp. Don't deviate from this mash temp!

Definitely a competition beer and a new benchmark for my home-brews. Professional-quality.

View attachment 669825
View attachment 669826
This one's still on my to-brew list. One of these days.....

luizartur

Reaction score

View attachment 669825
View attachment 669826
Congrats for the beautiful and (looks like) tasteful beer!!! By the way would you have your recipe in BeerSmith format to share?

Reaction score
Planning a variant of this, and doing it with mango instead of lime or lemons. Has anyone kegged this? If so, what psi is recommended?

Transamguy77

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made this beer several years ago and it’s back on the list again, but like @NitrogenWidget said I couldn’t find limeade but I did find margarita mix at Costco! So I’m going to try that, I’ll post my results after it’s brewed.

cmac62

Reaction score
I have the grain for this one, but may need to stop by the HBS to see if they have the hops on hand. I want to get this on for the summer. :mug: