Fruit Beer Lemon-Lime Hefe Weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My keg of this just ran dry. So sad.

I feel your pain. I pulled my kegs out of the keezer this weekend to clean the keezer and add a raised wire bottom. Anyway saw from the condensation on the keg I have only a few pints left.

Brewed this today, hit my preboil gravity at 1.041, but must not have boiled off as much as usual, wound up with 6.25 gallons into the fermenter, OG of 1.048. Propane tank was low, so maybe that was it. Glad I have the big bucket!

Already have the blowoff tube on. I figure I'll throw in the Simply Limeade on Wednesday.

Regarding the extract recipe, is it ok to start with a 3 gallon boil and top up to 5 or should I use a 5 gallon boil?

Forgot to take a new gravity reading after adding SL juice.

OG - 1.068
1.034 after fermentation slowed.

Added SL at 1.034. Anyone know what the SL would have brought the gravity back up to?

And how to recalculate?

This looks awesome! However, I'm not a big fan of Hefe yeasts (yeah, I know what you're thinking, LOL). With that being said, is there a suitable yeast substitute that would work well with this recipe but eliminate the phenolic components I don't care for?

This looks awesome! However, I'm not a big fan of Hefe yeasts (yeah, I know what you're thinking, LOL). With that being said, is there a suitable yeast substitute that would work well with this recipe but eliminate the phenolic components I don't care for?

I use US-05 which I find to be neutral in lots of beers where I am not looking for an influence of flavors from the yeast. I think it would perfectly suitable in this case provided you stay within the zone of suggested ferm temps. Supporting your thinking, I'd be a bit skeptical of combining a banana flavor along with citrus. I see how chocolate may play well with banana, but lime is a stretch. Removing banana or clove by substituting the hefe yeast for a more neutral one may make this more pleasing to my palate. BUT what the heck, each to his own and I am not a judge or jury here.

I used us-05 on this as I don't really care for Hefeweizen yeast either. Didn't care for it at all. Over the top fruity/lime.Something about the yeast I think mellows that out. If I were to do it again I would use an American wheat yeast.

I used pacman with good results. Pacman is my go to neutral yeast. It dried it out well.

Hey guys! Is it OK to replace the simply limeade with a homemade limeade? I don't have it available in my country... Thanks!

It will take 3 weeks to ferment and fine tune itself....yoi can stop it at 2 weeks and have an ok beer

Hey guys! Is it OK to replace the simply limeade with a homemade limeade? I don't have it available in my country... Thanks!

I thought it may be pasteurized, so it keeps the risk of infection down. But I'm not seeing anything about that on the label.

I'd say make sure you wash your hands and limes before making limeade, then go for it. Just remember sanitation and you'll be fine.

I thought it may be pasteurized, so it keeps the risk of infection down. But I'm not seeing anything about that on the label.

I'd say make sure you wash your hands and limes before making limeade, then go for it. Just remember sanitation and you'll be fine.

I think you would be fine to pasteurize your homemade limeade. There is a thread on here somewhere about DIY pasteurization. I think you just need to bring it up to somewhere around 160 degrees. That would not harm your limeaid.

Here you go, found it. Same theroy,

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=193295

Last edited:
I want to brew this but try for more of a cranberry flavor, so I'd use a 1.75 of Simply Cranberry instead of Limeade.

Should I use the same hops or substitute with different ones?

Thanks!

I want to brew this but try for more of a cranberry flavor, so I'd use a 1.75 of Simply Cranberry instead of Limeade.

Should I use the same hops or substitute with different ones?

Thanks!

For what it's worth, I just recently bottled a Cranberry Wheat that used Chinook and Amarillo hops. When I sampled a bit at bottling, it was simply incredible - a very good choice.

This was for a 1-gallon batch, so scale it as necessary, but I added 0.08 oz of Chinook at 60 minutes, 0.1 oz of Amarillo at 30 minutes and 0.1 oz of Amarillo at knock-out.

Hope this helps -

Ron

No fermentation. Pitched yeast late last night. Kinda worried. Changed airlock. View attachment 393439

Be careful... I brewed it Sunday - 5 gallons in my 7 gallon brew bucket...and it blew the airlock off last night; so when it starts...it starts hard. Should have known better than to use a standard airlock and not a blow off tube

So I have read through a lot of this thread, and thanks for posting SLIM as it looks great!

I was thinking of making a grapefruit version of this beer by using simply grapfruit instead of simply limeade, using grapefruit zest instead of lime zest, and possibly subbing Cascade for the Sorachi. I would use the same yeast, but was wondering if changing out the Sorachi Ace with Cascade would wreck the balance of this beer? Or would it be better to keep the Sorachi Ace and add some Cascade hops for flavor/aroma?

Thanks

For what it's worth, I just recently bottled a Cranberry Wheat that used Chinook and Amarillo hops. When I sampled a bit at bottling, it was simply incredible - a very good choice.

This was for a 1-gallon batch, so scale it as necessary, but I added 0.08 oz of Chinook at 60 minutes, 0.1 oz of Amarillo at 30 minutes and 0.1 oz of Amarillo at knock-out.

Hope this helps -

Ron

Thanks!! Maybe I'll use those. How did you add the fruit? What and how much did you use?

So I have read through a lot of this thread, and thanks for posting SLIM as it looks great!

I was thinking of making a grapefruit version of this beer by using simply grapfruit instead of simply limeade, using grapefruit zest instead of lime zest, and possibly subbing Cascade for the Sorachi. I would use the same yeast, but was wondering if changing out the Sorachi Ace with Cascade would wreck the balance of this beer? Or would it be better to keep the Sorachi Ace and add some Cascade hops for flavor/aroma?

Thanks

You can try adding some Falconer's Flight hops late in the boil or a dry hop. I just recently used them for the first time and they scream grapefruit to me.

I added the limeade in and while trying to pry the stopper out it somehow fell in :mad: rigged a blowoff tube and it's goin! has anybody ever dropped the stopper in? Don't want it to affect the beer. The 3 gallon ones suck.

Thanks!! Maybe I'll use those. How did you add the fruit? What and how much did you use?

I added between 1.5 and 2 cups of whole, frozen cranberries (this was for a 1-gallon batch) at knock-out; they then swelled, burst and steeped during the chill-down etc., and were strained out when I transferred to my fermenter.

For what it's worth, I also used SafAle S-05 yeast, also.

You can read about the experience so far here, if interested:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=616976

Any more questions, let me know - and if you try it, keep us informed as to the results! :mug:

I brewed this at the weekend, hit the OG perfectly, added yeast starter and away it went. Yesterday (Tuesday) the bubbling had slowed, but not completely stopped so I decided it was time to add the Limeade. I put it in and since then I've seen no activity in the airlock. Is this expected?

I brewed this at the weekend, hit the OG perfectly, added yeast starter and away it went. Yesterday (Tuesday) the bubbling had slowed, but not completely stopped so I decided it was time to add the Limeade. I put it in and since then I've seen no activity in the airlock. Is this expected?

No. When You add the limeade it should ferment even more aggressive. And you made a starter? No idea what could've went wrong. Any sudden temp changes? Maybe give it a stir.

What are you fermenting in? Maybe a bad seal. Doubtful that the yeast aren't going to town on that sugar water.

Latest posts

Back