Lallemand Windsor vs Lallemand London ESB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Based solely on package specifications, I thought initially M10 could be a version of the heat-tolerant Mauribrew 514. However, fermentation behaviour, degree of attenuation and subsequent tasting convinced me it's a London/S-33 strain.
Those package descriptions could be quite misleading sometimes. For example, they advertise M10 as a perfect choice for a Pseudo Lager if fermented cool. I tried to, fermenting at 15C and then lagering for a month, and all what I got was a typical subdued London ale, not Lagery at all. It strongly reminds me of S-33 which is described by the producer as "Belgian" even though it has nothing common with the true Belgian yeasts. It looks not unike a conspiracy plot among producers and retailers to cover the true nature of the poor innocent EDME strain under all imaginable marketing disguises :D I wonder, why?

So, the claimed heat-tolerance could well turn out to be same advertising rubbish as its nonexistent Lager qualities.

Another solid argument for M10 and S-33 being the same (or very close) strain is the price. Both are the cheapest options among all commercially available dry yeasts.

Last edited:
Yeah, that’s because it’s probably really Fermentis K97. Koln came afterwards as Lallemand’s attempt at an equivalent to K97.
Dave, I have to disagree with you here. I have brewed extensively with both K97 and Koln, (not side-by-side) and they don't seem similar in any way. K97 will begin fermentation quickly where Koln will lag because the pitch rates differ greatly. K97 is clean to the point of being cleaner than S189, thought the latter is most definitely a lager, and Koln is fruity with pear esters, and I also get lemon from it. Also, Koln does not have that bitterness that K97 has. To me, these two are miles from each other.

Dave, I have to disagree with you here. I have brewed extensively with both K97 and Koln, (not side-by-side) and they don't seem similar in any way. K97 will begin fermentation quickly where Koln will lag because the pitch rates differ greatly. K97 is clean to the point of being cleaner than S189, thought the latter is most definitely a lager, and Koln is fruity with pear esters, and I also get lemon from it. Also, Koln does not have that bitterness that K97 has. To me, these two are miles from each other.
I think Dave is saying that K97 and M54 are probably the same. Not K97 and Koln.

Okay, but Dave does have them on his chart as probably being the same.

I am saying that if they are on the same row, they might not be exactly equivalent but are "close enough for most intents & purposes".

The color coding in purple should be pretty accurate. In yellow, it's an either-or situation. The orange is essentially meaningless and I might remove it. The red is based on a separate genomic test focusing on every/all "Chico" strain. These aren't all exactly the same, and have some key differences worth consideration.

I am saying that if they are on the same row, they might not be exactly equivalent but are "close enough for most intents & purposes".

The color coding in purple should be pretty accurate. In yellow, it's an either-or situation. The orange is essentially meaningless and I might remove it. The red is based on a separate genomic test focusing on every/all "Chico" strain. These aren't all exactly the same, and have some key differences worth consideration.

Oh, I see, Dave. Thanks! By the way, do you have duncan_disorderly on retainer?;)

Oh, I see, Dave. Thanks! By the way, do you have duncan_disorderly on retainer?;)
Only when I'm sober. Which i currently am! So, here are my MJ thoughts...

M15 - probably Windsor
M42 - Nottingham
M44 - Bry-97
M36 - Blend, maybe Notty/Windsor. Or similar.

M29 - Belle Saison
M31 - Diastaticus, gives banana, so maybe a blend of WB-06 and something else
M41 - Diastaticus, so maybe a blend. Belle or BE-134 and Notty, maybe.
M47 - Non-diastaticus so not WB-06. Lalbrew Abbaye most likely.

M20 - Don't know despite using it several times. :Lalbrew Wit?
M21 - No idea, not used it.

M54 - Mauribrew Lager perhaps? Dunno.
M76 - MJ says it's pastorianus + cerevisiae, so a blend. Diamond & Notty, maybe, Lallemand promotes that blend.
M84 - MJ says it's cerevisiae, so not a lager strain. Not used this one.

M12 - Lalbrew Voss
M66 - No idea, possibly Lalbrew New England?

Back