Lallemand Verdant IPA Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We found Marble Desert Fog at our local Walmart. Marble Brewery I think it would be classified as a NEIPA. Since we are at the end of supply lines here in the RGV we don't get a great selection of craft brew. My wife and I absolutely love Desert Fog. It is so fruity and fresh, I plan on trying to make something similar. I know hops are probably the primary flavor but what yeast would enhance the grapefruit and orange flavors?

Another Verdant data point. Brewed an ipa on Friday. Most everything that could go wrong, did. Anyway, transferred 6.25 gallons of 1.063 wort into a 7.9 gal. Speidel fermenter(with blowoff attached to keg to purge). Grabbed my O2 and stone...tank empty. Ah well, forge ahead. Pitched one 11g pack at maybe 58-60Ā°F. Only a Cool Brewing fermentation bag to "control" temps. Absolutely nothing for 18 hours, sitting at 61Ā°F. Slipped a warming pad underneath and left for the day. When I returned it was up to 64.5Ā°F but still nothing happening. Luckily I unplugged the pad before going to bed. Woke up this morning and blowoff tube was absolutely filled and temperature was 72Ā°F, 10 degrees warmer than house temp. Krausen overtook the ~1.75 gallons of headspace like it wasn't even there. Added a couple of 1.5 liter frozen water bottles to the bag to keep temps from rising any further, or hopefully to even drop a couple degrees.
I'll update in a few days.

Has anyone tried underpitching this yeast? Trying it for the first time today.

I have a non dry hopped Golden Ale in the fermenter, which has an OG of 1.060 and I only pitched 1 sachet of Verdant. I mashed high at 70C/158F in order to get a 4%-ish kind of beer and retain some body. 23.5 liters went into the fermenter. I pitched yeast at 5 PM. First activity was noticed after 4 hours, and after 12 hours the airlock was dancing up and down like crazy. So fermentation started as usually. I cannot comment on the final taste, but no sulphur / rotten eggs smell was produced during fermentation, which could indicate that the yeast wasn't too stressed or it just does not produce it.

Has anyone tried underpitching this yeast? Trying it for the first time today.
As I mentioned above I pitched a single pack into 6.25 gallons of 1.063 wort ten days ago. I was worried a bit that I should have pitched 2 packs, but all I had on hand was one. However it seems to be fine. It fermented down to 1.013, (6.8%), with no perceptible off-flavors. Hopped with Citra and Idaho7. Sample tasted of apricot and peach. Will dry hop with the same hops, in a day or two. Funny, I've brewed this same recipe but used a mix of US-05 and Nottingham and they taste like completely different beers.

As I mentioned above I pitched a single pack into 6.25 gallons of 1.063 wort ten days ago. I was worried a bit that I should have pitched 2 packs, but all I had on hand was one. However it seems to be fine. It fermented down to 1.013, (6.8%), with no perceptible off-flavors. Hopped with Citra and Idaho7. Sample tasted of apricot and peach. Will dry hop with the same hops, in a day or two. Funny, I've brewed this same recipe but used a mix of US-05 and Nottingham and they taste like completely different beers.
Verdant imparts a lot of flavour in my experience. Peachy apricot...

It's a great yeast but sometimes it will dominate where you don't want it to.

Got a pretty high attenuation on this batch with 1 packet (mashed at 152F-153F)... Sample at 1.007 taste really good! (more like a 1.012-14). There is no infection and fermenter was clean as usual.
neipav23.png

It's the first time I am pitching this yeast nutrient in a batch : could be that.
lallemand-servomyces-beer-yeast-nutrient-10-g.jpg

Edit: brewed a NEIPA december 10 and finished at 1.016. mashed at 158. 1 packet too.

Last edited:
The beers Iā€™ve done with it have all had good attenuation. I donā€™t use a lot of crystal and I also mash in the low side which is probably the cause. Got a nitro mild on tap at the moment. Itā€™s a great yeast, though next batch Iā€™ll mash higher.

I donā€™t get strong esters, though I pitch and ferment at 17c. Definitely esters there, but not over powering.

Got a pretty high attenuation on this batch with 1 packet (mashed at 152F-153F)... Sample at 1.007 taste really good! (more like a 1.012-14). There is no infection and fermenter was clean as usual.

It's the first time I am pitching this yeast nutrient in a batch : could be that.

Edit: brewed a NEIPA december 10 and finished at 1.016. mashed at 158. 1 packet too.
Is that 1.007 from a hydrometer or just the tilt?

I've used Verdant a few times for NEIPA's and it's been great for me.

Just used it again and it absolutely ripped through fermentation - each time has been pretty fast, but this last time was insane. Pitched a double pack around 6pm on July 20 at 1.066 and about 60 hours later it's sitting at 1.014. Two and a half days is pretty crazy. Doing a 3 day diacetyl rest, then dry hopping and crashing. Excited to see how this one turns out.

I've used Verdant a few times for NEIPA's and it's been great for me.

Just used it again and it absolutely ripped through fermentation - each time has been pretty fast, but this last time was insane. Pitched a double pack around 6pm on July 20 at 1.066 and about 60 hours later it's sitting at 1.014. Two and a half days is pretty crazy. Doing a 3 day diacetyl rest, then dry hopping and crashing. Excited to see how this one turns out.
That is fast, my partigyle porter pitched with kveik on tuesday 11 am OG 1.077 was at 1.006 at 60 hours and I think it's finished, wort a lot too fermentable I think.
Will have to see how the first runnings do with a different yeast, but that's lager yeast and only reached 1.048 from 1.081. So Verdant performs well.

What temp for the Verdant?

That is fast, my partigyle porter pitched with kveik on tuesday 11 am OG 1.077 was at 1.006 at 60 hours and I think it's finished, wort a lot too fermentable I think.
Will have to see how the first runnings do with a different yeast, but that's lager yeast and only reached 1.048 from 1.081. So Verdant performs well.

What temp for the Verdant?
Was supposed to be at 66Ā°F but it crept up around 69-70Ā° throughout. I've brewed this recipe a few times, I'll be curious how the temp affects the finished beer.

Had another crack with this yeast recently.
Simple Hazy Recipe.
w/ Idaho7, Cryo Citra & Cryo Loral in the whirlpool
then double dryhopped with
1. idaho7, Loral Cryo
2. Loral Cryo, Citra Crtyo & Mosaic Hops

Being tested tomorrow, but signs are promising.

Anyone did a side by side with LA3 yet?
I have done a few by now and most of the time can not tell the difference. Only those vanilla notes, maybe? But I think it's highly suggestive

I havenā€™t done a split batch but I donā€™t perceive any difference. That is the beauty of Verdant though, a dry yeast that really is as good as a liquid! Dry yeast is just so much easier to use. I jumped on Verdant when it came out and havenā€™t used much else since. Now there is Cosmic Punch. Will brew first batch this week. I have high hopes but it is liquid. Not only did it cost twice as much, I had to buy DME, the starter spewed out on counterā€¦ the reasons I go for dry yeast.

I havenā€™t done a split batch but I donā€™t perceive any difference. That is the beauty of Verdant though, a dry yeast that really is as good as a liquid! Dry yeast is just so much easier to use. I jumped on Verdant when it came out and havenā€™t used much else since. Now there is Cosmic Punch. Will brew first batch this week. I have high hopes but it is liquid. Not only did it cost twice as much, I had to buy DME, the starter spewed out on counterā€¦ the reasons I go for dry yeast.
Same here. Ok, I don't know the liquid version, but it's the first dry English strain that I actually like.

I recently brewed a mild and used Verdant. OG was 1.038 and FG was 1.012. The FG sample tasted pretty good but I generally donā€™t try to judge my brews until carbed and some time in the fridge. It definitely seemed to have some English qualities as best as I could tell. I will update when the final product is ready.

I recently brewed a mild and used Verdant. OG was 1.038 and FG was 1.012. The FG sample tasted pretty good but I generally donā€™t try to judge my brews until carbed and some time in the fridge. It definitely seemed to have some English qualities as best as I could tell. I will update when the final product is ready.
My next brew is going to be pretty much the same. Let us know how it tastes!

Has anyone ever brewed a big beer with this yeast. Iā€™m planning on doing a 10% NEIPA and was wondering if anyone has done a big one with success. The manufacturer says it can handle 10% but thatā€™s the limit.

Has anyone ever brewed a big beer with this yeast. Iā€™m planning on doing a 10% NEIPA and was wondering if anyone has done a big one with success. The manufacturer says it can handle 10% but thatā€™s the limit.

I've only co-pitched Verdant with Nottingham in a 10.1% Imperial Pastry Stout, early this spring.

I've brewed a few times with Verdant, beers from 5 to 7% ABV and fermentation was over very quickly with no hiccups, except for one beer. For me this Verdant yeast needs a temp. raise at the end, to encourage it to finish. It did a number on me, with a Red Ale, which after 13 days was not done and refermented in bottles. That was pretty unexpected.

10% should be achiveable by mashing low ( 145-147F ) and long and using base malt.

I've only co-pitched Verdant with Nottingham in a 10.1% Imperial Pastry Stout, early this spring.

I've brewed a few times with Verdant, beers from 5 to 7% ABV and fermentation was over very quickly with no hiccups, except for one beer. For me this Verdant yeast needs a temp. raise at the end, to encourage it to finish. It did a number on me, with a Red Ale, which after 13 days was not done and refermented in bottles. That was pretty unexpected.

10% should be achiveable by mashing low ( 145-147F ) and long and using base malt.
I also rushed one beer and got it overcarbed in the bottle (bottled after 8 days or something like this). I think two weeks is the minimum in the fermenter, better three. No need to rush this one.

Last edited:
i brewed a 2.5 gallon 4.5% best bitter and then put a 1 gallon imperial stout on the yeast cake. It tore through that stout like a mad man, and it came out at 10.5%

Disclaimer: I brewed this beer two weeks ago and itā€™s been in the bottle for the last one.

Having said that, this yeast may be the best dry English yeast Iā€™ve used. Out of S-04, Lallemand ESB, Windsor, and Verdant; Verdant has been the clear winner so far. In my mild, the malt is there but so is the typical English fruitiness that I just adore in beers such as Samuel Smith Nut Brown.

So it is safe to say this yeast is for much more than just hazies.

B2188DCF-389F-4E82-8807-42E4557B1B01.jpeg

anybody has some taste input for different pitching temps? I have used this yeast now 2 times pitching at 20C and it always came out awesome, but I'm wondering if I can get more fruityness out of it starting fermentation at 16-17C

anybody has some taste input for different pitching temps? I have used this yeast now 2 times pitching at 20C and it always came out awesome, but I'm wondering if I can get more fruityness out of it starting fermentation at 16-17C
Usually lower temperature means lower yeast expression. But there are a few exceptions.

Disclaimer: I brewed this beer two weeks ago and itā€™s been in the bottle for the last one.

Having said that, this yeast may be the best dry English yeast Iā€™ve used. Out of S-04, Lallemand ESB, Windsor, and Verdant; Verdant has been the clear winner so far. In my mild, the malt is there but so is the typical English fruitiness that I just adore in beers such as Samuel Smith Nut Brown.

So it is safe to say this yeast is for much more than just hazies.

View attachment 739727
Excellent looking beer. I love that color!

I had originally decided that this summer was going to be my yeast experimental summer, but I fell behind and then go overwhelmed with too many hop varieties sent as gifts. I still have a packet of this yeast sitting in my fridge on the back burner and I'm hoping to hell I can sneak it in ( an ipa and a heavier hopped blonde) before I go into lager mode in the middle of the fall. This thread makes me feel excited about it!

Any thoughts on how to get Verdant to drop clear within the timeframe of other UK yeast?

I've had my first batch with Verdant (Otter, Invert #2, and 8oz of torrified wheat) in the keg at 34F for nine days. Going into the floating dip tube equipped keg it was quite murky despite being solidly at TG for nearly a week. I hit it with Biofine the following day once the keg had stabilized at 34F. No effect. Three days later I hit it hard with gelatin. Again, no effect. I'm confident in my fining techniques, they have a track record of success against some very stubborn flocculators. There's zero evidence of infection in the flavor profile and there's no shortage of calcium. I guess Verdant is extra special stubborn?

Aside from the turbid beer, I'm stoked about this batch. After years of 1968 (now Imperial Pub) and 1469 being my UK workhorses, it's exciting to have a new tool that delivers the goods--and in a dry form factor, not less! Unfortunately, this failure to quickly drop clear characteristic has tamped down my enthusiasm considerably.

I appreciate your time.

I've had my first batch with Verdant (Otter, Invert #2, and 8oz of torrified wheat)

Given that it's derived from 1318 which is the yeast of choice for hazy beers, it may be doing something special with protein-polyphenol interactions? How hoppy are you? What vintage of Otter is it - 2020 ended up being fairly high in protein.

Knock out the wheat next time?

Given that it's derived from 1318 which is the yeast of choice for hazy beers, it may be doing something special with protein-polyphenol interactions? How hoppy are you? What vintage of Otter is it - 2020 ended up being fairly high in protein.

Knock out the wheat next time?
I've had success with Silafine at about 1ml/liter, but it's taken about a week to work with Verdant.

Thank you, both, for taking the time.

Thanks for jogging my mind about a jug of silica-based clarifier that I have on the shelf, ebbelwoi. I'll whack it with that tonight for giggles.

Northern_Brewer, it's a simple best bitter recipe that has a track record for dropping clear with 1968/Pub/1469. Although I'm phasing out my use of torrified wheat in UK beers, I'm confident that neither the wheat, nor the hopping schedule are the issue. This thing isn't a bit cloudy, it's straight up turbid.

Thanks for the heads up on the 2020 crop of Otter. This batch actually cashed out my 55lb sack of Otter (purchased in November, 2020). I had been toying with the idea of trying to track down some Optic--which is sadly becoming impossible to find in the States. More likely, I'll give Golden Promise another spin. Based upon your observation, I'll definitely take a pass on Otter.

Thanks, again, for your time. It's appreciated.

I'm confident that neither the wheat, nor the hopping schedule are the issue.

You can only say that if you've compared :
Verdant + wheat
Verdant + no wheat

If Verdant is particularly sensitive to protein levels, then the wheat could be an issue - with Verdant but not other yeasts.

Thanks for the heads up on the 2020 crop of Otter...Based upon your observation, I'll definitely take a pass on Otter.

Just to be clear, that was not a comment about Otter, but about the 2020 harvest in general, it was universally high in protein regardless of variety (although spring barleys were marginally lower than winter barleys like Otter). The average was something like 1.8% nitrogen, compared to usual beer malting spec of 1.6-1.75. Whereas 2021 has gone the other way with generally low proteins - good for malting, not good for bread wheat.

I had verdant drop clear in three to four weeks at room temperature. My bet would be also on proteins/polyphenols causing the issues.

As a side note, verdant seems to stick to the bottom of the bottle fairly well.

I had the same experience with my dark mild. I can even say that I had minimal chill haze after bottle conditioning.

You can only say that if you've compared :
Verdant + wheat
Verdant + no wheat

If Verdant is particularly sensitive to protein levels, then the wheat could be an issue - with Verdant but not other yeasts.

Just to be clear, that was not a comment about Otter, but about the 2020 harvest in general, it was universally high in protein regardless of variety (although spring barleys were marginally lower than winter barleys like Otter). The average was something like 1.8% nitrogen, compared to usual beer malting spec of 1.6-1.75. Whereas 2021 has gone the other way with generally low proteins - good for malting, not good for bread wheat.

Ahhhhhhhh. Okay, I see what you mean about the wheat now. I hadn't considered that perspective at all, thanks for patiently drilling it into my abnormally thick skull. I'll run straight UK malt and invert on the third pitch and see what happens.

I appreciate your time (and patience).

Back