just started brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skillron

Reaction score
Hello,

This is my very first time on here and I just started brewing. I am currently working on an exract wheat ale. It is fermenting now and was wondering what priming sugars to use? I was thinking of just white table sugar, boiled with water. Any suggestions?

Table sugar will work. You can also tell time by using a sun dial, but why do it if you don't have to.

Go get some corn sugar; but if you don't, nothing bad will happen and table sugar can/will work.

Table sugar will work. You can also tell time by using a sun dial, but why do it if you don't have to.

Go get some corn sugar; but if you don't, nothing bad will happen and table sugar can/will work.

One thing with table sugar, it is more granular than corn sugar, so 1 cup of table sugar wouldnt neccessarily be 1 cup of corn sugar if u go by volume.

Yah, that is true. Just trying to keep the RDWHAHB mantra alive...it'll work if it has to, just might not be ideal.

What's the difference between using corn and table sugar?

Not much. Mostly moisture content. Corn sugar, coincidentally, has a higher moisture content than cane sugar. the difference isn't big enough to get caught up in as far as I'm concerned.

Typically, the knock on sugars with a higher moisture content is that the % of moisture in the sugar won't do anything to carbonate your beer. To put it plainly, corn sugar has somewhere between 5-10% water by weight (John palmer's book how to brew can provide accurate numbers) so that 5-10% won't help your beer carb. To make up for it, you would just use more.

Skillron....Hello and welcome to HBT. If you search "corn sugar vs table sugar" you will find numerous threads on the subject. Found one post where the brewer split a batch, primed half with corn sugar, half with table sugar and could tell no difference. For just priming, I think you'd be just fine with either one. If you have corn sugar use it, if not, I wouldn't hesitate to use table sugar.

Back