IPA hate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well, i think this thread has run its' course.

AW, WHY?

IS IT BECAUSE YOU CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO DO ALL CAPS?

likd.jpg

a

No, because I can't figure out how to delete a post. My ignorance is trumping my stupidity.

Not sure how it works for the serfs, but I think you can EDIT your post and choose Delete from the edit screen...

It may be that the admins have limited delete options for members with certain post counts, etc...

¿sıɥʇ op noʎ uɐɔ ʇnq 'ɥɐǝʎ

There's a mouthfeel joke in there somewhere, but I'm pretty sure the mods would delete it.

This is the Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling forum so it is OK, unless you were thinking that it might be controversial to have a bad tasting prophylactic in your mouth. :cross:

2015-04-07-01-14-57.jpg

This is the Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling forum so it is OK, unless you were thinking that it might be controversial to have a bad tasting prophylactic in your mouth. :cross:

We started out in a different forum and then he who can do strange things with threads sent us to the naughty corner which is drunken ramblings

It's because OP is German. No German likes IPA better than any German style.

IPA is America's contribution to the beer world.

Pretty sure that was BMC..... at least until recently. (Lol)

Ipa originated in England before the US was.
American ipa is different that ipa brewed overseas for the most part. And are defined by the hops used. (American ) and the again divided by east coast and west coast. West using American hops from the area and east using imported. Double ipa or SD ipa came about in the mid 90's in California from a brewery called Blind Pig. That's it that's all I can remember. ... there was at one time one that was to be cellared for 2 years.
I couldn't remember much of anything about Ipa's (have only tried a couple and didn't care for the taste of a Glade Plug In) so I took a break and did some reading. Overall (in my opinion) the whole ipa category needs more definition. From what I read the originals were lower hopped, higher sugars a a lower attenuation. Then went higher hopped with og of 162 or higher with a higher attenuation. Basically all over the map for the style and the only really consistent thing has been the pale part.
As far as like .... not so far but then I really haven't tried much and the couple I have tasted like drinking an air freshener. I am annoyed by the massive number of them though. Was at a store recently and it was close to a third were Ipa's and I couldn't find a Belgian among the 80 or so varieties. :( of course that may have been because the wife was in a hurry.

We started out in a different forum and then he who can do strange things with threads sent us to the naughty corner which is drunken ramblings

I see that this thread got grounded! I finally finished reading it. I haven't been able to keep up with my reading the last few weeks so I have gotten behind and when that happens I end up posting a smart a$$ answer to something long after it is no longer relevant. :tank: Here's to keeping things lively and not remembering anything.

I see that this thread got grounded! I finally finished reading it. I haven't been able to keep up with my reading the last few weeks so I have gotten behind and when that happens I end up posting a smart a$$ answer to something long after it is no longer relevant. :tank: Here's to keeping things lively and not remembering anything.

Yep its one of those threads. This one was always going to be a doozey

I went to the grocery store today and looked good and hard at the beer selection. It was only about 15% IPAs.

Mind you, it was about 70% BMC, so you do the math.

You know what I hate about IPAs? You have to check the dates on the bottles, and some of it doesn't rotate too often, so you're left there going "Man, would be cool to try that" but it's been on the shelf for 4+ months.

If the bottle doesn't have a date code, which many do not, you have to check the dust level on the glass and whether there appears to be a bunch of sediment on the bottom in brews that you know should be fairly clear.

This makes me look like a huge beer snob, but I can't go buying old IPAs... the taste is unmistakable when you drink one of these DIPAs (Disappointment IPA) and is kind of heartbreaking, since good IPAs and IIPAs are just so damn good when they're fresh.

Wish more people would jump in on the craze around here for a little better rotation.

This happened to me recently. I don't buy a whole lot of beer these days, but my wife wanted a bottle of wine, so I figured I'd check out the beer selection. Found one of my favorite IPA's and headed for the checkout. Something told me to check the date. Bottled on 10/4/14. I went back and tried to find something fresher.

The owner was standing near the display, talking about so and so's new barrel aged sour project and how cool that was. When she saw me putting the beer back, she asked 'Change your mind?' I pointed out that the IPA I had been going to buy was nearing the 6 month mark. Point for her, though, she took it off the shelf and set it behind the counter and said she'd bring it home and drink it herself and she helped me find something else so I didn't look like a beer snob all by myself.

You know what I hate about IPAs?

Wish more people would jump in on the craze around here for a little better rotation.

The shelves are stocked full of a style of beer that the market forces don't support.

You know what I hate about IPAs? You have to check the dates on the bottles,

Yes!!! And they are charging premium price for them. Nobody would buy 4 month old milk!

I also really do believe that some folks who have tried converting from BMC have been sold old bottles and get turned off.

Long live fresh beer!

Back