IPA hate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to put in my 2 cents worth then git right outta town. I like some hoppy, but not a lot. It's just a personal preference thing. Then there are the macho yuppie scum types that liken hops in beer to jalepenos in nachos. Yeah, I drink this beer, not because it's good, but because it's got more hops than the Easter bunny and I can take it. Practically undrinkable cat urine, I'll pass on that, I don't judge beer lovers on the IBU scale, I judge them on their love of the beer. That's what's important, I have a couple of friends who think Arrogant Bastard Ale is the next best thing to mother's milk. I don't like it. But I don't berate them for liking it. Take a look at http://www.slate.com/articles/life/...ess_is_ruining_craft_beer_s_reputation.1.html
I just wish we had a lot more variety in the commercial market.

I'm going to put in my 2 cents worth then git right outta town. I like some hoppy, but not a lot. It's just a personal preference thing. Then there are the macho yuppie scum types that liken hops in beer to jalepenos in nachos. Yeah, I drink this beer, not because it's good, but because it's got more hops than the Easter bunny and I can take it. Practically undrinkable cat urine, I'll pass on that, I don't judge beer lovers on the IBU scale, I judge them on their love of the beer. That's what's important, I have a couple of friends who think Arrogant Bastard Ale is the next best thing to mother's milk. I don't like it. But I don't berate them for liking it. Take a look at http://www.slate.com/articles/life/...ess_is_ruining_craft_beer_s_reputation.1.html

I happen to like jalapenos in my nachos, and not just because I can take it. And what's a yuppie?

Yeah, git (sic) right out of town. :)

Am I the only one out there who absolutely, positively sees nothing of value in the IPA craze? I loved that beer was changing away from pale lagers... but dang, it's almost like everybody and their grandmother wants to do yet another IPA with astonishingly unbalanced IBUs and finished with Cascade hops. over 50% of the craft beer section in my local beverage centers and grocery stores are IPAs. In my area, the IPA has become the Budweiser of the craft beer world.

Please, please, please... if there is anybody else out there like me, share your experiences in this thread. I feel like a lone island in an ocean of bitter, grapefruity, malt-deprived beer.

You probably have an allelic polymorphism of your bitter taste receptor gene T2R16. Boom....Science!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3038275/#!po=52.8777

You probably have an allelic polymorphism of your bitter taste receptor gene T2R16. Boom....Science!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3038275/#!po=52.8777

Boom pseudoscience!

Everything in that article about that gene affecting perception of bitter flavor is conjecture. They call the gene a marker and say that they can't figure out why, and not for lack of trying, so here are some things we pulled out of our butts that don't hold up to experimentation.

You missed any "actual discussion" on this by a long shot. Just join in the mayhem.

You missed any "actual discussion" on this by a long shot. Just join in the mayhem.
what the old-hater said!

Boom pseudoscience!

Everything in that article about that gene affecting perception of bitter flavor is conjecture. They call the gene a marker and say that they can't figure out why, and not for lack of trying, so here are some things we pulled out of our butts that don't hold up to experimentation.

Well sh#t! I thought everything on the World Wide Web was true...

Hoppy beers were always my least favourite. Definitely always preferred the darker more malty/grainy brews. Though I have pretty much only bought different IPAs over the last few months and meh. I only really enjoy them when they are super hoppy. Hoptimum is probably the best hoppy beer I've had. Anything less hoppy IMO is just not worth while. Kinda of like the difference between a Guinness(watered down nasty) and a maybe a founders breakfast stout.

Hoppy beers were always my least favourite. Definitely always preferred the darker more malty/grainy brews. Though I have pretty much only bought different IPAs over the last few months and meh. I only really enjoy them when they are super hoppy. Hoptimum is probably the best hoppy beer I've had. Anything less hoppy IMO is just not worth while. Kinda of like the difference between a Guinness(watered down nasty) and a maybe a founders breakfast stout.

So you like IIPAs and not IPAs... and you like Imperial Stouts but not Irish Stouts.

images

I don’t hate any beer and think it all comes down to personal preference. I’m a religious “drink what you like” person and that goes from BMC through Double Mango Goo-Goo Berry Glitter Milkshake Pastry Fake Version 224 IPA.

What I DO hate though.... is THIS... (as perfectly described by a local blogger)...

https://hoppyboston.com/2019/03/22/how-we-can-break-the-craft-beer-hype-cycle/

... and in the 25 years I’ve been into craft beer... I’ve never seen more of it than over the last few years.

Yes, it’s been a explosion of growth and there are a ton of benefits to that, but... and this shouldn’t be a surprise... some negatives come with it.

Personally, I think too often “hype” equals “tremendously artistic” in people’s heads... especially given the enormous number of people who are new to craft beer... and that can be frustrating.

When factors outside of whats in the can become more important than whats inside... that’s when I, personally, have a problem with it.

"There are also many that dont appeal to me, they seem to try to hard. They taste like way too many hops crammed into a bottle, for the purpose of being way too many hops in a bottle!"

Exactly

Give me a good Maerzen, stout ,porter ,nut brown, kolsch...something with flavor but not as my wife puts it- "perfumey"
Hops was originally used as a preservative and add subtle flavor...go along with me here, but so is salt. Would you eat oversalted food...me neither.

Back