IPA hate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcownz747

Certified Cicerone, YPG vet
Reaction score
Am I the only one out there who absolutely, positively sees nothing of value in the IPA craze? I loved that beer was changing away from pale lagers... but dang, it's almost like everybody and their grandmother wants to do yet another IPA with astonishingly unbalanced IBUs and finished with Cascade hops. over 50% of the craft beer section in my local beverage centers and grocery stores are IPAs. In my area, the IPA has become the Budweiser of the craft beer world.

Please, please, please... if there is anybody else out there like me, share your experiences in this thread. I feel like a lone island in an ocean of bitter, grapefruity, malt-deprived beer.

While I do love a good IPA, I agree that there are just too many on the shelves of local stores. I like nice refreshing blonde ales nearly as much as IPAs. Too many as just as you said, unbalanced and not really all that great (some of these are from some of the biggest craft breweries). I rarely even look in the stores most of the time because I know that there are going to be nothing but Imperial this or that and overly hopped everything.

Agreed. The IPAs have worn thin on me too. I knew on the first sip of the IPA I brewed for my first batch that it was an experiment that I would not be repeating.

I think it is a forgiving style that people have worryingly taken to a silly extreme.

+1 in your call for more balanced beer recipes.

This is the 2nd IPA hate thread in a month. A good IPA is a good beer. Balance is a silly and imaginary distraction, in what is normally a 4 ingredient endeavor. One of the 4 is going to win. Just say you like malt. It's okay, I do too. Also, you missed the "craze" by a solid 5 years. Sours are the fad beer you were looking for.

You might be the only one. Hard for me to answer that for you. I thought you'd be the one to answer that. Perhaps you need to get out more?

Also, just click the report button on the thread and then write a little note. Should fix that.

In other news... proceed with the IPA haters. I will continue to enjoy the smells coming off the blowoff from my massive DIPA that I can't wait to drink.

Nope. Sours are picking up, but I don't walk into my local beer store and see sours making up 50% of the ENTIRE beer selection list. I see over 50% as IPAs, with over 50% of those being Cascade IPAs.

And I apologise if you dislike that two people in one month's time had similar ideas. If that's why you dislike this thread, you must hate IPA threads about 40 times more. There have been easily 80 IPA recipe, clone, or discussion threads in this last month. Two IPA hate threads isn't bad.

Cant say i hate them but do find them overrated and as you said take up too much room in the beer section.

And then there are session ipa's..... Does anyone else find that oxymoronic?

I'm not saying I hate the people making IPAs. I'm not saying that I hate the people who like drinking IPAs. I'm saying that I hate the style, that I'm surrounded by nothing but people who love it, and am looking to find some fellow homebrewers who don't like it.

You're being the guy who responds to a "Hey, any NY homebrewers here?" thread with "I'm from Alabama, and Alabama is just as cool as NY". Sure, Alabama can be just as cool as NY. But that's not what the thread was about.

I think the subtlety of a balanced beer is lost on many people, not because they're uncouth, but because stuff just stops working as well as it once did as you get older.

Even though this isn't a problem on this forum, in the lay crowd there's also the completely unknowledgeable beer-drinking base that will grasp onto a term like IPA and clutch it like a dying baby no matter how much they hate it if for no other reason than because they wouldn't be caught dead saying that they drink a BMC.

I thought I liked IPA's until now. Thought I liked Srircha sauce too. Now, in making sure I spelled Srircha correctly, I find Rogue has a Srircha Stout. I'm so confused...

The shelves are filled with what the people vote for, and the people vote with their wallets, just be glad that many are at least exploring alternatives to the light lager we've had crammed down our throats, and by doing so, be hip, good looking, most interesting...

But, on a hot day if offered with no alternatives, sure I'd love a Bud Light!, and if I want it balanced, well on my head, it will probably slip off.

I'm not saying I hate the people making IPAs. I'm not saying that I hate the people who like drinking IPAs. I'm saying that I hate the style, that I'm surrounded by nothing but people who love it, and am looking to find some fellow homebrewers who don't like it.

You're being the guy who responds to a "Hey, any NY homebrewers here?" thread with "I'm from Alabama, and Alabama is just as cool as NY". Sure, Alabama can be just as cool as NY. But that's not what the thread was about.

Except it reads more like "Hey I'm from NY and I hate Alabama." I think you can appreciate the possibility that dissent may be found in a thread where you are trying to find a commonality with people based on your hatred of something.

I really didnt like IPA's like at all... that flowery bitter bs what kinda beer is this!? Then I brewed my first RyePA. And I fell in love with hops. I like all IPA's but the RyePA is my favorite overly hoppy style.

I am likewise not a fan. I am good up to about 60 IBU. After that it's too much. But SWMBO is a fan so I make sure I always have some ready.

5343232de691b273b90b4654_736.jpg

Yawn...

No you are not the only one...like it was stated earlier, this thread pops up once a week. With literally the same exact posts every time.

1. IPAs are over 20% of all beer sales. Not a craze, a significant market share. Breweries, especially new ones, would exclude 1 out of every 5 beer purchases by not brewing one. Seems like a good business call to me.

2. What these threads are really ranting about are crappy bars and beer stores. IPAs have nothing to do with your crappy selection. Find a better bar or store. Some of the best stores around me stock hundreds of beer, at best, 10-15% are IPAs. You can get virtually any style. Same goes for the top bars in my area. One has 60+ taps and 8 are IPAs. Even the dive bars are basically BMC, an IPA and a stout or dark beer.

3. Stop using the term unbalanced. It has zero value. Nearly every style is unbalanced. Belgians are based on the flavors created by the yeast...no one complains about it. Barleywines, brown ales, etc are all based around the malts...no one complains about it. I never see people rant about any other style's "balance" but IPAs.

If you don't like IPAs, buy something else. If you can't, brew it yourself.

meme1.jpg

To preface, I enjoy a good IPA or DIPA once in a while but prefer other styles mostly. With that said....

IPA sells, it's popular. Every brewery has to have an IPA in order to compete in the market. Because of that it will get more shelf space. I find 50% to be an extreme exaggeration though. The stores I go to always have a nice mix. You should thank the IPA craze. Interest in IPA's from the masses will only lead to increase the shelf space for all craft beer. I would rather have 50 IPA's, and 50 other styles to choose from than the limited selection craft beer drinkers had in the not so distant past.

Anytime you start a thread about hating something or that something sucks you will definitely get blowback from the supporters of the thing you hate. Same thing happens when you start a thread about something you love...somebody out there hates it and will tell you about it. That doesn't mean you can't start the thread or state your opinion but you should expect dissenting responses (this is the internet lol).

I would suggest finding a different beer store with a larger selection. If your store sells 200 beers you still have 100 beers to choose from (if your 50% holds up). That's a lot better than a few years ago when you had limited selection of everything.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I got into home brewing because I started buying craft beers and developed a taste for hops.

That being said it has been just over a year and I rarely buy ipas anymore and I don't really brew them. I'm developing a strong fondness for other styles of beer and ipas are just too harsh to drink a lot of. I do like an IPA here and there and I still appreciate them, but I have a much more enjoyable time drinking other styles.

I think that craft beer has hitched its wagon to IPAs and the industry hears the winds of change coming which is why the Brewers Association has changed the rules as to what qualifies as a craft brewery.

They need to include beers people will drink, such as Yeungling, to make it look like the sector is growing. Once the IPA fad goes the way of disco, it will take a large chunk of the one-trick-pony craft beer houses with it, and if it were today, it might take the industry as a whole.

Here in Finland, it's actually hard to find a good fresh hoppy IPA. Imported ones are often past their prime (especially ones from the us) and although there are a few exceptions, Finnish breweries seem to skimp on hops. So far I haven't found a commercial beer with more or even as much hop flavor and aroma as my own brews. I'm drinking an IPA from a good Finnish brewery right now and, to me, it's closer to an esb than an IPA.

You have to remember that Finland has fairly strict alcohol laws (the government holds a monopoly on alcohol over 4.7%, excluding bars of course). You have to go to a government owned liquor store to buy stronger beer, and usually these stores are oriented more towards wine and spirits.

I'd love to try a super hoppy beer like Heady Topper, or Pliny, but I'd probably have to travel to the us to get some.

I think that craft beer has hitched its wagon to IPAs and the industry hears the winds of change coming which is why the Brewers Association has changed the rules as to what qualifies as a craft brewery.

They need to include beers people will drink, such as Yeungling, to make it look like the sector is growing. Once the IPA fad goes the way of disco, it will take a large chunk of the one-trick-pony craft beer houses with it, and if it were today, it might take the industry as a whole.

I disagree that it would take the industry as a whole. The IPA has became the "gateway" to craft beer because of its popularity. This will only introduce more people to craft beer and grow the industry. If only half of the consumers stick around to branch out with other styles that is still more people drinking craft brew and increasing the market share. The fad will go away and the market will equalize. There will more than likely be a new fad though. This may out some subpar brewers but it will in no way destroy the industry. New brewers will come along to supply what the people want.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Nope. Sours are picking up, but I don't walk into my local beer store and see sours making up 50% of the ENTIRE beer selection list. I see over 50% as IPAs, with over 50% of those being Cascade IPAs.

And I apologise if you dislike that two people in one month's time had similar ideas. If that's why you dislike this thread, you must hate IPA threads about 40 times more. There have been easily 80 IPA recipe, clone, or discussion threads in this last month. Two IPA hate threads isn't bad.

You won't find sours making up 50% of the beer selection list in any store. I feel fairly confident when I make such a statement because sours are absolutely an acquired taste. IPAs on the other hand, while still considered an acquired taste, they are more beer than sours can be at times. Depending upon the sour of course.

I don't care how many IPA hate threads there are around. IPAs are indeed very popular and I think for a time they will remain popular. IPAs and APAs dominate many grocery store shelves with the so-called "seasonal" porters and stouts taking a back seat, especially this time of year. The selection of ambers are limited as well.

I like IPAs. I hated them before and now I like them, but I have days where an IPA is the furthest thing from what I really want. I find that there is a decently balanced selection in all places I buy beer with exception of a grocery store. I do think they move out some beers depending upon the season, but I could be wrong.

As for the hops. There are definitely popular hops, Cascade being one of those. Mosaic is popular to the point where they're a little harder to get in various places. I know my LHBS hasn't had them in ages. Simcoe is another and Amarillo would be the 4th that I consider hugely popular. With the right combination you can get yourself a piney IPA or a fruity IPA.

When you speak of balance and how IPAs aren't, well that is exactly the intent. This is a style that highlights hops, not malt. If you're looking for something that highlights both, there are some good ambers and browns out there that give more of a balance.

I will say that the beauty of being a home brewer is that you have the power to brew what you like. If the commercial beer selection is limited, brew a batch of something you want. You don't have to love IPAs at all. I'm pretty sure no one will mind.

Oh ffs, call a WAAAAAAHMbulance.

I read yesterday that craft beer consumption has now achieved an 11% USA beer market share. Gotta believe IPAs are a big chunk of that share.

Don't love 'em, don't buy 'em...

Cheers! (Life begins at 80 IBUs)

I love 'em. Can't get enough of them. I brew some type of IPA about 75% of the time. I mix them up with some stouts, pale ales and am starting to work with saison's (hoppy one's of course).
I just love hops. Anyone who doesn't like them, just send them to me.

I used to dislike IPA's, however they have since grown on me.

That being said, I agree, way to many on the shelf. It's almost impossible to find anything else.

I hate how IPA's are this huge craze and breweries are just pushing them down our throats cause you know nobody is buying them. I mean breweries are more concerned with making a craze than giving the consumer what they want, right? I mean it would make too much sense for breweries to brew what people are buying, that's not how businesses work.

Soon it will be "I hate sours" threads!! I love watching hipsters turn their backs on their beloved lol...

There are some very good:
pale ales
IPAs
Stouts
Porters
Cream ales,
That simply have the flavor I like in a beer.
But I like hops, I like a nice balance of hops. I cant explain what I like or why, but I know the beers I like. I like a SN IPA, Lagunitas IPA.

There are also many that dont appeal to me, they seem to try to hard. They taste like way too many hops crammed into a bottle, for the purpose of being way too many hops in a bottle!

But one man's trash is another's treasure.

That being said, I have yet to have a sour I would drink twice, but I continue to explore.
If I dont I become one of the BMC drinkers I soo like to mock!

You won't find sours making up 50% of the beer selection list in any store. I feel fairly confident when I make such a statement because sours are absolutely an acquired taste. IPAs on the other hand, while still considered an acquired taste, they are more beer than sours can be at times. Depending upon the sour of course.

I don't care how many IPA hate threads there are around. IPAs are indeed very popular and I think for a time they will remain popular. IPAs and APAs dominate many grocery store shelves with the so-called "seasonal" porters and stouts taking a back seat, especially this time of year. The selection of ambers are limited as well.

I like IPAs. I hated them before and now I like them, but I have days where an IPA is the furthest thing from what I really want. I find that there is a decently balanced selection in all places I buy beer with exception of a grocery store. I do think they move out some beers depending upon the season, but I could be wrong.

As for the hops. There are definitely popular hops, Cascade being one of those. Mosaic is popular to the point where they're a little harder to get in various places. I know my LHBS hasn't had them in ages. Simcoe is another and Amarillo would be the 4th that I consider hugely popular. With the right combination you can get yourself a piney IPA or a fruity IPA.

When you speak of balance and how IPAs aren't, well that is exactly the intent. This is a style that highlights hops, not malt. If you're looking for something that highlights both, there are some good ambers and browns out there that give more of a balance.

I will say that the beauty of being a home brewer is that you have the power to brew what you like. If the commercial beer selection is limited, brew a batch of something you want. You don't have to love IPAs at all. I'm pretty sure no one will mind.

More or less agree.

In the right mode, an IPA or even DIPA is the absolute best thing ever. Other days its RIS, or a chocolate stout, or a milk stout, or an oatmeal stout, or an APA or a Oud Bruin, or a Gueze or a dry stout, or a porter or a black and tan or a...

The list goes on. Just depends on what I am in the mode for. It is why I rarely brew really big brews. I tend to go for 2.5-3.5G batches...because I like having 5-8 different beers bottled at any given time, because on any given day my tastes vary a lot.

If I had to pick a top 5 styles, it probably would be DIPA, RIS, Oktoberfest, Oud Bruin and Nut Brown Ale.

On my DIPAs, other than the rare instance, I am not a 100+ IBU fan. If I were to craft the perfect DIPA, it would probably be a mix of Centenial and Chinook hops at around 80IBUs and 8.5% ABV. Dry hopped, but not to a ridiculous extent.

I love me some hops and hop aroma, but most of the time I enjoy ONE really good IPA or DIPA. Sometimes I can be in the mood for a second one. That is generally it. I mostly prefer darker beers or sours, but my mode just varies so much.

I would have said the only catagory I dislike is light beers, but starting to experiment with making <5% ABV beers recently, I've been brewing up some I've really liked. I think the issue I have is that most <5% commercial examples (even from smaller breweries) tend to not be particularly complex and/or are adjunct heavy. The Berliner Wiesse I just brewed up at 3.5% ABV is tasting pretty good, though I have to adjust the sourness a little with some lactic when I bottle it tonight (other half is going on peaches to age for a couple of weeks). I recently tried someones English mild that was really good that was only 4% ABV. I have my own English Mild recipe I've put together that I am anxious to try. I have several 5-5.5% beers in my pipe line (German Pilsner I bottled last week, Steam beer I bottled a few weeks ago that tastes great, Belgian Single still bubbling, English Pale Lager still bubbling and Schwarzbier also still bubbling) that are either great or seem like they hold a lot of promise. I don't know that I'd necessarily say 5-5.5% is "light", but it is lighter than any other beers I've made until the last 2 months (other than my first 2 beer kits, before I moved in to my own extract recipes for a couple of beers and then AG after that, they've all been >5.8%)

For me light is <5.5%, medium is 5.6-7% and heavy is >7% (I'd consider very heavy to be >9%). My general preference is medium.

Other than adjunct heavy light beers, I really don't have an issue with anyone's tastes. Though, I guess even adjunct heavy light beers, if that is what you are in to, that is fine. I'd just consider that not having a taste for beer, but wanting to get buzzed or drunk and not liking mixed drinks, wine or hard liquor.

Am I the only one out there who absolutely, positively sees nothing of value in the IPA craze? I loved that beer was changing away from pale lagers... but dang, it's almost like everybody and their grandmother wants to do yet another IPA with astonishingly unbalanced IBUs and finished with Cascade hops. over 50% of the craft beer section in my local beverage centers and grocery stores are IPAs. In my area, the IPA has become the Budweiser of the craft beer world.

Please, please, please... if there is anybody else out there like me, share your experiences in this thread. I feel like a lone island in an ocean of bitter, grapefruity, malt-deprived beer.

People are buying IPAs because they like them. You can't fault a brewery for providing beers that their customers like, and therefore buy. The value of this "craze" (if you want to call it that) is that IPA lovers (and there are a lot of us, obviously) get a great selection to choose from!

I used to dislike IPAs. I just didn't care for the bitterness. However, as I begin drinking more and more craft beers and experimenting with my own, my palate begin to change. I begin to experience a lupulin shift, until the point that there was no beer that was too hoppy for me any longer. Now I brew my own big hoppy "unbalanced" IPAs with tons of hops, and I'm able to drink them VERY fresh from the tap, rather than old ones on the shelves, or ones that didn't start out hoppy enough for my tastes. I've gotten to the point that I find most "regular" IPAs kind of boring. And if you had asked me my opinion of IPAs five years ago, I would have told you they suck.

Now, this isn't to mean that I don't like other styles of beer. Other than sours, there isn't a beer style I haven't liked... I just like some styles better than others!

Well, there's nothing left for me to do now, other than to start a thread about how much I hate sours! I want to let the world know how I feel about beers other people hate!!!! Grrrrrr!!!!

Remember Keystone's bitter beer face commercials?

hqdefault.jpg

I just brewed my first SMaSH - 2 row with cascade hops and used a yeast that was supposed enhance the hops profile.
I am not an IPA fan - there's something far too bitter about them BUT I LOOOOVE the SMaSH I made. Very nice hops profile - a nice Pale Ale - not complicated.
I have to say, that I think we notice what we don't like more than what we do as what we don't like is typically more "In your Face".
I would be very happy with a room full of Belgians
Different strokes for different folks.

Just a pack of rambling thoughts......

[SNIP]I used to dislike IPAs. I just didn't care for the bitterness. However, as I begin drinking more and more craft beers and experimenting with my own, my palate begin to change. I begin to experience a lupulin shift, until the point that there was no beer that was too hoppy for me any longer. Now I brew my own big hoppy "unbalanced" IPAs with tons of hops, and I'm able to drink them VERY fresh from the tap, rather than old ones on the shelves, or ones that didn't start out hoppy enough for my tastes. I've gotten to the point that I find most "regular" IPAs kind of boring. And if you had asked me my opinion of IPAs five years ago, I would have told you they suck.[SNIP]

This is me, exactly. I'm brewing my beers with a ton of hops (mainly APAs ~60-70 IBU - ~6.5%) that are "out of style" but not unbalanced IMO. I just love hops.

Now commercial offerings are starting to taste dull or muddled, even when "fresh." When you can have the brightest, hoppiest beers on tap at your house, and start drinking it within a week or two of kegging, well... nothing can really come close to that (unless you live by the brewery or they get fresh kegs at the taphouse, etc.).

Remember Keystone's bitter beer face commercials?

hqdefault.jpg

Yes, lol!

Back