IPA hate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man I wish there was a way that I could enjoy any style of beer I wanted whenever I wanted without having to rely on the store to supply it for me.

Like if I wanted a stout, how could I enjoy a stout if I can't find one at the store?

Hold on.. I have an idea. What if I were to research how breweries make beer and then took that process and applied it at a size appropriate for HOME use?

I could call it, HomeBrewing (pretty snazzy, don'tcha think?)

I bet this would work. I'm going to get online right now and see if there any information out there, maybe a website dedicated to teaching me how to make my own beer so I don't have to rely on the store to provide me with what I want to drink!

Like several people have already noted, I think that it is the proliferation of IPAs that is bugging us. Last night my family went out for pizza and the restaurant has a two-page list of beers on tap; pretty awesome start, right? As I scanned the list a third time, I realized that about half or so of it were IPAs/DIPAs/IIPAs and another chunk were Imperial Stouts. A little balance in the marketplace would be nice.

Yeah, again guys. This was never a "What do you think of IPAs thread".

I'm trying, very specifically, to find other home brewers who dislike the style. No, not to defecate on your parade. No, not to mock IPA drinkers. No, not to make the most popular style of craft beer feel invalidated and alone. I'm looking for similar minded people. Please, just move on if you are only coming to post "I LOVE IPAS, YOU'RE STUPID FOR DISLIKING THEM".

You aren't defined by your beer. There is no harm in somebody saying that they dislike the style of beer you like. Especially if they do it in a manner which doesn't call you out (Like a forum post trying to find others who don't like the style).

And I'm a bit confused as to why people are saying that disliking IPAs is a hipster thing. My family is German-American (Off the boat German, not 14 generations ago German). We've always drank a lot of German beer (And now imports), and while we like our hoppy aromas and flavors, the super-bitterness is something we've never enjoyed. I don't see how disliking bitter beers is a hipster thing, especially originally coming from an area which simply does NOT do high IBU beer.

I ask who hates or dislikes IPAs, so that it can potentially be easier to find recipes and brewing ideas from people who are not a part of the high-IBU thing going on now. I can't tell you how many times I've had an American Bock or Doppelbock that is twice as bitter as the style calls for. Finding people who dislike IPAs means finding people who aren't going to write their malt or yeast forward beers with a super-high hop profile. There are reasons for looking for exclusionary groups, and they're usually not "lel, we hate you. You can't join our club".

So again, please take into consideration the original desire of the thread before trying to defend the style, as though it being disliked means that YOU are personally being persecuted. You're not.

I don't hate IPA's at all, and think it's great to have such a wide body of different styles out there. That said, I'm not really an IPA fan, though I do love the IPA I make based off of NB's Kiwi Express - because of the striking tropical fruit flavors the hops give. But, I do share your sentiments and I think it's a shame some people don't sympathize, especially the hops heads. How would they feel if they walked into a pub or store and saw nothing but the lightest hopped American pale beers available?

That's a stretch though, there's always something else available. But yeah, here in Manhattan I'm getting really tired of walking into some pubs only to see literally 85% highly hopped beers on the taps. Even some of the APA's are highly hopped enough to be close to an IPA. At least here, around me I have indeed noticed this craze and do wish there was just a little more variety. Do we really need four different breweries IPA's on tap when there's only 6 taps?

Rev.

Here in Finland, it's actually hard to find a good fresh hoppy IPA. Imported ones are often past their prime (especially ones from the us).

(Not challenging your statement @Arttu, just using it to illustrate my point.)

I find this confusing. Weren't IPAs created back in the day because of the long trip around Africa to India? How come nowadays these IPAs can't make the trip?

Yeah, again guys. This was never a "What do you think of IPAs thread".

I'm trying, very specifically, to find other home brewers who dislike the style. No, not to defecate on your parade. No, not to mock IPA drinkers. No, not to make the most popular style of craft beer feel invalidated and alone. I'm looking for similar minded people. Please, just move on if you are only coming to post "I LOVE IPAS, YOU'RE STUPID FOR DISLIKING THEM".

You aren't defined by your beer. There is no harm in somebody saying that they dislike the style of beer you like. Especially if they do it in a manner which doesn't call you out (Like a forum post trying to find others who don't like the style).

And I'm a bit confused as to why people are saying that disliking IPAs is a hipster thing. My family is German-American (Off the boat German, not 14 generations ago German). We've always drank a lot of German beer (And now imports), and while we like our hoppy aromas and flavors, the super-bitterness is something we've never enjoyed. I don't see how disliking bitter beers is a hipster thing, especially originally coming from an area which simply does NOT do high IBU beer.

I ask who hates or dislikes IPAs, so that it can potentially be easier to find recipes and brewing ideas from people who are not a part of the high-IBU thing going on now. I can't tell you how many times I've had an American Bock or Doppelbock that is twice as bitter as the style calls for. Finding people who dislike IPAs means finding people who aren't going to write their malt or yeast forward beers with a super-high hop profile. There are reasons for looking for exclusionary groups, and they're usually not "lel, we hate you. You can't join our club".

So again, please take into consideration the original desire of the thread before trying to defend the style, as though it being disliked means that YOU are personally being persecuted. You're not.

You set the stage for the discussion that followed with your original post:

Am I the only one out there who absolutely, positively sees nothing of value in the IPA craze? I loved that beer was changing away from pale lagers... but dang, it's almost like everybody and their grandmother wants to do yet another IPA with astonishingly unbalanced IBUs and finished with Cascade hops. over 50% of the craft beer section in my local beverage centers and grocery stores are IPAs. In my area, the IPA has become the Budweiser of the craft beer world.

Please, please, please... if there is anybody else out there like me, share your experiences in this thread. I feel like a lone island in an ocean of bitter, grapefruity, malt-deprived beer.

When you start the discussion off with telling us that you see nothing of value in IPAs, and then compare them to the boring commercial beers that most of us dislike, you can't then turn around and cry foul when we respond to these comments.

If all you truly wanted was to find others who didn't like IPAs, you shouldn't have started a baited thread...

When you start the discussion off with telling us that you see nothing of value in IPAs, and then compare them to the boring commercial beers that most of us dislike, you can't then turn around and cry foul when we respond to these comments.

If all you truly wanted was to find others who didn't like IPAs, you shouldn't have started a baited thread...

Oh bam! serve returned!!

I don't hate IPA's at all, and think it's great to have such a wide body of different styles out there. That said, I'm not really an IPA fan, though I do love the IPA I make based off of NB's Kiwi Express - because of the striking tropical fruit flavors the hops give. But, I do share your sentiments and I think it's a shame some people don't sympathize, especially the hops heads. How would they feel if they walked into a pub or store and saw nothing but the lightest hopped American pale beers available?

That's a stretch though, there's always something else available. But yeah, here in Manhattan I'm getting really tired of walking into some pubs only to see literally 85% highly hopped beers on the taps. Even some of the APA's are highly hopped enough to be close to an IPA. At least here, around me I have indeed noticed this craze and do wish there was just a little more variety. Do we really need four different breweries IPA's on tap when there's only 6 taps?

Rev.

I find this confusing. Weren't IPAs created back in the day because of the long trip around Africa to India? How come nowadays these IPAs can't make the trip?

IPAs last a long time because the hops inhibit microbial growth. This is why this style was originally made, not because people liked the hoppy bitterness. However, nowadays, we drink these IPAs because we like the hoppy bitterness. The hoppy bitterness fades very quickly with age, but they'll still last a long time... They just won't have the taste that we now associate with the style.

Man I wish there was a way that I could enjoy any style of beer I wanted whenever I wanted without having to rely on the store to supply it for me.

Like if I wanted a stout, how could I enjoy a stout if I can't find one at the store?

Hold on.. I have an idea. What if I were to research how breweries make beer and then took that process and applied it at a size appropriate for HOME use?

I could call it, HomeBrewing (pretty snazzy, don'tcha think?)

I bet this would work. I'm going to get online right now and see if there any information out there, maybe a website dedicated to teaching me how to make my own beer so I don't have to rely on the store to provide me with what I want to drink!

No offense, but this misses the point entirely.

First, there are reasons for wanting to find people who dislike the same style or styles that you do. Finding somebody who dislikes an IPA means that they're less likely to be changing their recipe to mimic an IPA (As many people do).

Second, we're all homebrewers. We're on Homebrewtalk. We all brew what we like. However, when we want to find something new... or get inspiration by trying a few beers from a style, it can be MASSIVELY hard. If you want to brew IPAs, you can walk into any store (Even Walmart), and find at least one. You can walk into any craft beverage center and find 50. Meanwhile, if you like Altbiers or Doppelbocks, and depending on your location, can only find one or two... and GOOD LUCK with any of those beers being made within 500 miles of your location.

There is no "I'M SO MAD AT THE WORLD FOR LIKING IPAs" coming from me. There IS, however, a desire to get in contact with other homebrewers who dislike the style, as a way of making malt or yeast forward brews more readily accessible. If you find enough people who dislike the same styles as you, you don't have to keep filtering out homebrew recipes that are trying to be an IPA with a twist.

I really do dislike most IPAs. If you are having trouble with recipes being too highly hopped, try using some kind of brewing software (I currently use Brewtoad) - plug in the recipe you are interested in and it will tell you if it is "to style" for that given BJCP style category. You can then adjust the IBUs down as you see fit. When making a recipe, I usually start with a clone of a commercial brand that I know I like, and then I make tweaks that I think I would like.

As far as your local liquor stores go, I can't really help you there - you would either have to try to find a store that has a better selection, or brew your own.

You think condoms are too bitter?

Well played, sir.

IPAs last a long time because the hops inhibit microbial growth. This is why this style was originally made, not because people liked the hoppy bitterness. However, nowadays, we drink these IPAs because we like the hoppy bitterness. The hoppy bitterness fades very quickly with age, but they'll still last a long time... They just won't have the taste that we now associate with the style.

I really like IPAs, but I found that I had lost my pallet for regular ales and lagers. I'm slowly getting it back by looking for the perfect ale/lager, just like I did 3 years ago with IPAs. It's about striking a balance as with all things in life. My favorites to date is Sweetwater IPA and Natty Greens amber ale.

Oh ffs, call a WAAAAAAHMbulance.

I read yesterday that craft beer consumption has now achieved an 11% USA beer market share. Gotta believe IPAs are a big chunk of that share.

You only got half of the story. They attributed the gain to changing the rules as to what can be called a craft beer to include, amongst others, American lagers such as Yeungling which took the top spot from Sam Adams.

So in fact, as a whole, IPAs are a less significant portion of the craft brew scene than they were last year.

How would they feel if they walked into a pub or store and saw nothing but the lightest hopped American pale beers available?

We'd probably feel just like we did a couple years ago before the craft boom ;)
Around here it's gotten a lot better the past two or three years, but there are still plenty of places that still only serve/sell bmc.

$(KGrHqIOKjYE5qmUm627BOgLToVOJw~~60_57.JPG

Alfalfa's Law, son.

No offense, but this misses the point entirely.

First, there are reasons for wanting to find people who dislike the same style or styles that you do. Finding somebody who dislikes an IPA means that they're less likely to be changing their recipe to mimic an IPA (As many people do).

Second, we're all homebrewers. We're on Homebrewtalk. We all brew what we like. However, when we want to find something new... or get inspiration by trying a few beers from a style, it can be MASSIVELY hard. If you want to brew IPAs, you can walk into any store (Even Walmart), and find at least one. You can walk into any craft beverage center and find 50. Meanwhile, if you like Altbiers or Doppelbocks, and depending on your location, can only find one or two... and GOOD LUCK with any of those beers being made within 500 miles of your location.

There is no "I'M SO MAD AT THE WORLD FOR LIKING IPAs" coming from me. There IS, however, a desire to get in contact with other homebrewers who dislike the style, as a way of making malt or yeast forward brews more readily accessible. If you find enough people who dislike the same styles as you, you don't have to keep filtering out homebrew recipes that are trying to be an IPA with a twist.

I honestly can't think of a good reason to seek out others who hate on something you do, except to make you feel better about hating on it.

What's the point? Do you somehow believe that you will create a coalition of IPA haters that will somehow manage to convince brewers that they shouldn't brew a style that a huge portion of craft beer drinkers enjoy?

Craft beer drinkers, for the most part, enjoy IPAs. The reason there are so many is not a single answer. But the fact is, Craft beer drinkers are kind of fickle. They want to try a bunch of different things.

There are a LOT of different hops. There are a lot of different grains. Craft brewers offer several different IPAs because they can create beer using different combinations of those ingredients and offer different FLAVORS of IPAs to satisfy the variety that craft beer drinker expect.

The beer market is still WAY more diverse than it was 30 years ago when there was basically 2 styles of beer being sold; Beer and Light Beer.

Maybe you aren't old enough to remember those days, and if so, then I'm happy for you. I remember it well. Of course back then I was only drinking regular beer. But when I started homebrewing and trying new styles craft beer was in it's early stages and you could FORGET about having anything besides BMC and import lagers at a restaurant.

Maybe start a hate thread at probrewer.com where the craft brewers hang out. You might get a better return on investment.

If you are forming your opinion about IPA based on bottles bought from a store, you've already lost

I love IPA, it is so simple in design yet so complex in profile. Kind of like wine, regional. Anyone can make a good IPA but it takes a certain skill to make a great IPA.

Plus it has become the new American beer style, which has knocked Bud from the throne.

No you are not the only one...like it was stated earlier, this thread pops up once a week. With literally the same exact posts every time.

I seriously thought this thread was an April Fools Day joke.

"Oh, haha, another 'I hate IPAs' thread. Good one."

And then I realized it was serious.

"Oh.... another 'I hate IPAs' thread." *groan*

grew up with hops in WA; love me some IPA.

now, IPA Fatigue? As in, tired of numerous fine-as-is styles having more hops added to it? Yeah, at times.

I didnt realize the recipe section only had ipas. I wish it had more subforums for different styles, then i could brew more malt forward beers, but i cant since its only ipa recipes

I like a good IPA, but it's just one of many styles I enjoy. Just as I don't eat the same thing for dinner every night or listen to the same band continuously, I don't drink the same kinds of beer all the time. Gotta mix things up.

But the hate on IPAs (or anything else) I don't get. If you're tired of something, try something new.

Back